Thread: The next step...

I have been racing ITB since 2001. I was fortunate enough to train at skip barber and run with them at a young age and now at age 24, I am beginning to run competitively (set track record at Road America by 2 sec and am .04 off of the record at Black Hawk farms) in IT.

Here's the question. Where do I go next? I plan on running IT next year and then run in the ARRC. The ultimate goal is to try to make a career out of this racing stuff so I need to start planning on how I want to try to get there. It seems that everyone I talk to believes that Prod has a questionable future so What classes do you guys think I should look into? I am running a 94 VW golf and would like to stay front wheel drive and if possible VW. The Jetta TDI cup is intriguing, so does Grand Am Cup, but I am aware there are a few steps before I can get to that level.

Thanks for any input.

Aaron Stehly
    #68 ITB VW GTI

A career? As a driver? Simply put, get good at finding money. Either thru a lucrative job, or an inheritance, or from outside sources.

If from outside sources, you will find it much easier to find willing sponsors in the circle track world.

But, before you make any moves, go digging, and find out what it really costs to run the series you desire, and then do a cost vs benefit analysis. Find a Grand Am team guy, and somehow pry the financial info from him. Learn about how guys like you have done it. Pierre Kleinubing? Did you know he draws zero salery? He survives on winnings alone. (And personal sponsorship) Eric Curran is a great example of an SCCA ITB guy who has "made it". I don't know what he gets paid, but I heard that during his Realtime days he was given a car, no cost, but he needed to get there to drive it. If he made money, he split it with the team.

In any case, do some digging to get the best picture of how the game works in SCCA, Grand Am, ARCA, and NASCAR.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Have you ever heard that saying, " If you want to make a small fortune in Racing, you start with a big one?"

Seriously, many professional racing drivers don't make their money actually racing. Many instruct for driving schools, or driver safety programs ect. Marketing companies use drivers to do demo rides for vehicle lauches. If you want to start making money driving, look into these options.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Aaron, you might look for some information of people who have won (one or more) SCCA National Chimpionships over the past few years & see what they do today. A couple folks who come to mind are H Production Tom Feller (25/26 years old) who has won FOUR consuctive Championships or Niki Coello (25/26 years old) who had won two consuctive Forumla Contintial Championships previous to this year.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

It is going to be really difficult...
    I would suggest this...if your really serious, and truly think you have what it takes...

go up to a Grand Am team with a proposal.
    As follows:

You give them, say, 10 grand to run their car during a test day. You run side by side with their team driver that day.
    If you beat the team drivers times, they give you a job.

If they turn you down on your offer, keep looking. I'm sure somebody will give you a chance to prove yourself.

That is probably the quickest and dirtiest way to get a ride.

If you want to race amateur a little longer, I would suggest Spec miata.
    Maybe approach miata team/shop about running one of thier cars at a test day or race. If they are impressed enough, maybe they will supplement your race program.
    Then, you go to the runoffs and win.
    After winning the runoffs, you'll have some serious reputation to put on your resume.
    Might lead to a pro miata ride....

the only person stopping you...is you, and the limitations you've set for yourself in your own mind.
    "Entropy sucks"

Best bet is to lay the money down and buy a ride. At my last race I was offered a ride in a Grand-Am Porsche at VIR, for about $15k. World Challenge is a lot more expensive to buy a ride in, even in the ST class, but would be a better bet as it's more likely to get seat time and not be wrecked out before you get in the car. A friend of mine is running USTCC, and kicking a** and taking names, but started too late this season to win the championship. Ever wonder why Matt Alhadeff is pared with Bill Auberlen? Remember a couple of seasons ago at LRP, when he broke the car? That's what having a large fortune behind you can do. Now after the rough first few season he's not so bad.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Notice the constant theme: BRING MONEY!

A tad bit more extreme, but then again it comes down to how badly you want it - look into some of the series held in Europe. From what I understand, they have some excellent programs that help groom young prospective drivers.

As others have commented, the process of becoming a professional road race car driver is a bit depressing. I race in ITB with Eric Curran's father and over the past few years have had several conversations with him about Eric's experiences. One thing that kept being mentioned in the beginning stages is it isn't so much about talent. From what I remember, it wasn't until the 2006 season that Eric was actually getting paid to race, although I don't think it was a huge amount. Oh, Eric and father own a car dealership and I'm sure that's where he generates most of his income.

Actually, have you ever considered owning a car dealership?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Haha... Thanks for all of the advice guys! I wish I could own a dealership, probably not going to happen though. :P I think I worded my question a little wrong. In the end I want to race high up but for the next few years, what classes in SCCA would you see as a stepping stone to get there? Deep down I want to run Prod in my MK3 but its seems like a T3 or SSB car is what people outside of these forums recommends. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, Aaron

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, Does anyone know how much Bildon wanted to run an event in their GTI?

I'm certainly not taking anything away from any of the prod class drivers...I'm sure they are worlds more talented then I...
    But, in that class it can be more about money....

T3 and SSB are nowhere near as competitive as spec miata....

If you want to compete against the best drivers in the nation at the amatuer level then spec miata is your class.

Everyone is in the same car (essentially anyways), making similar hp, same tires, same suspension....it really comes down to the driver in SM more so than any other class, except perhaps SRF...

But, the deepest talent pool you will find is in SM.

"Entropy sucks"

Continue amatuer for a while, finish college and get a great job. You can contact any racing sactioning body and they should have a list of teams with seats available. We used to do this way back when with IMSA. In the mid 80's (whuuuhhh), you could buy a seat for the 24 hours of Daytona for $5-50k......alot more now....good luck and hang in there. If it were easy and cheap, we would all race at Daytona next January!