Thread: Race Announcers

Having personally raced a few new tracks this season, iv had the opportunity to compare events run by different regions. I made it down to a MARRS event at summit point this year and brought some family along as crew to enjoy some racing action. My family does not know a whole lot about motorsports so i was hoping they would have an enjoyable time at the track. Each race was accompanied by an excellent race announcer that called out all the action over the PA. I have to say this made watching the races 100 times more enjoyable for all the spectators and myself!

I know these are not spectator events but I know that i always fill my crew spots with friends and family who want to hang out and watch the races. I'm a northeast guy and i dont recall there being any race announcers at WGI or NHIS (Havent raced limerock this year but i know they have that PA system). I think having an announcer adds a lot of fun to any event and should be a regular thing. I also wonder whether the guy down at summit was a volunteer or paid.

thoughts?

I agree that an announcer makes the experience much better for the 'fans'.

The announcer at Lime Rock is excellent. 'The Road Racing Center of the East'
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Just back from From The Great Pumpkin and their annoucners do a good job making sure each competitor was annouced while on the grid plus broadcasting on a FM Frequency so the paddock could hear annoucements on radio actually the speaker system worked pretty well. TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I think one of Summit Points guy is Dangerous Dave Parker....former ITC racer and current HP driver

The Glen's PA system leaves a lot to be desired, but there is an announcer--most of the time you cannot hear him unless you are in the garage.

"Radio free Nelson" is the best as they promote the drivers , the track and the track food concessioners!

Parker is one of the announcers, I cannot remember the others that have stepped up to do that but all have been great. The big thing for SP is the low powered FM broadcast which reaches all the way to the Shanandoah. The only thing is hopefully they will stop overdriving the broadcast amp at times.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Martin Burk has handled the majority of announcing duties at MARRS races this year w/ Dave taking the mike during Martin's ITC races.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I think Dave's announcing gets more...ummmm... entertaining later in the day.

Only if his race group is in the early half of the day.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I think Dave's announcing gets more...ummmm... entertaining later in the day. [/b]

Anyone who's heard Bud Kruger's running commentary at an EMRA race can attest that an announcer can provide some amusement. Bud's work is 'entertaining' regardless of how late in the day it is.

Matt

I agree that a good announcer, couple with a better PA system, can really add to the racing envirionment. The guy they had at Road Atlanta in July was actually kinda funny at times as well. I hope they can get him to stay on for a few seasons.
    Tom Sprecher

A few years back, one of the local radio Morning show guys, Joe Sanchez, would do the Sunday announcing at SP. If You are going to get radio DJs though, Bob Steele would be a much better choice.

I think Dave's announcing gets more...ummmm... entertaining later in the day.
    [/b]

When Dave broke about 15 minutes into a four hour EMRA enduro a few years ago his entire reaction was that he could now get a head start on post-race festivities. Then again, he did introduce me to Newcastle Ale.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged