Thread: "Temporary" Memberships

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I feel about charging volunteers for a 'temporary' membership the same way I feel about National announcing that they were going to make it easier for friends of the driver/team to get in to spectate by creating a new kind of pass that costs $15.00 rather than the $10 overcrew that the regions I race with do now. WUWT!!!!!!!

It is either a way to subsidize the cost of insurance, or some sort of legal manuvering to avoid legal action if a new volunteer gets hurt 'But you paid money to work, so you must have known there was some danger!'

Scott: Man, I wish I could work some of the events you have been to. I started working in 1966 and the most expensive thing I ever got was a golf umbrella! But then my wife got one and a friend that I brought along got one two. Now when I drive and pay $300 or so, I get only one tee shirt (which ends up in the same place that yours do!). Not knocking the volunteers. "Let's hear it for Sound Control!!!!!!"

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

It is either a way to subsidize the cost of insurance, or some sort of legal manuvering to avoid legal action if a new volunteer gets hurt 'But you paid money to work, so you must have known there was some danger!' [/b]
    I don't know if that's exactly what's happening, but I can't help myself from thinking that there must be something else going on beneath the surface. Whining out of one side of your mouth about dwindling worker turnout while the other side of your mouth is adding a new fee for them to volunteer to work corners is just a bit too much to accept at face value. As Scott mentioned, working anywhere except my home track, which is 45 minutes from my house, gets expensive quickly. My suspicion is that a lot of regions will end up footing this bill for the new workers. They can hardly turn folks away when nearly every station on the course is understaffed.

Not knocking the volunteers. "Let's hear it for Sound Control!!!!!!"
    [/b]
    We drive and work corners. While I enjoy working F&C, the biggest reason I do it is to help make sure that I'll have events to drive. Granted, I can't drive that one, but I can maybe give someone else a rest so they'll be working the next event I want to drive.

PS. I'm NutDriverRighty's brother. Created my account here before we came up with that whole NutDriver thing.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion