Thread: How To Write a Rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

... Besides, there's no NEED to describe what you can't do, 'cause you've already got it: the IIDSYCTYC Rule. ...
    [/b]
    The importance of this point can NOT be overstated. I would go so far as to say that we should never, EVER write into a rule what is not allowed. The point at which language intended to clarify, is added to an allowance, it implicitly gives permission for any allowance OTHER THAN the one proscribed in the example. A non-IT example, if I might:

County ordnance 12.400.01 - It is permissible for county residents not within any incorporated city limits to burn refuse on their private property, but only if said refuse is normal yard waste (the burning of tires is not allowed).

The point at which the parenthetical bit was added to provide an example of something that might be commonly burnt but was not within the original intent of the rule, everything other than tires became fair game.

"Hey, all of that construction debris from the new kitchen ended up in my yard."

"It's my truck, and I took the tires off before I lit 'er up."

"Well, those cows died on MY property, Son."

The only other thing I'd add is that "less is more." If you don't use a word, it can't be misappropriated to support someone's creep goals. Say it simple.

K

If you don't use a word, it can't be misappropriated to support someone's creep goals. Say it simple.[/b]
    To restate that (and maybe generate tip #5?), if after writing the rule you feel the need to start adding in restrictions, then your new rule isn't worded well; try again. (On edit: added it in there...)

That's a good list Greg, do you have one for the responses that are typically offered in the Fast Track?[/b]
    Matt, those are responses to proposed changes, ones that indicate they disagree in some way with your proposal. That doesn't necessarily mean you didn't follow the Tips, it just means they rejected the idea(ls)... - GA