Thread: How To Write a Rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dredging up an oldie but a goodie...

All rulesmakers should take a half-hour and listen to this podcast. It really hits home toward the end...

The Cobra Effect

http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/10/...radio-podcast/

I think you start by admitting to yourself that no individual, no government, is ever going to be as smart as the people who are scheming against you. So when you introduce an incentive scheme, you have to just admit to yourself that no matter how clever you think you are, there’s a pretty good chance that someone far more clever than yourself will figure out a way to beat the incentive scheme.

You can learn a lot by reading poorly-written rules.

4. Exhaust systems from the cylinder head exhaust ports back may be replaced with any material with the following requirements:
    a. The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver.
    b. The exhaust must comply with local noise restrictions.
    c. Any high flow catalytic converter(s) are allowed. Multiple catalytic converters may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement converter may be located no further downstream than 6" along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE converter. Vehicles not equipped with a catalytic converter as original equipment are not required to have one.
    With that in your rulebook, do you install a cat, or do you throw it in the trash?
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Quote Originally Posted by JIgou View Post
    With that in your rulebook, do you install a cat, or do you throw it in the trash?
    According to that rule, if you had a convertor (or more than one), you still need one, though it may be a high flow unit.

Where is that rule from?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Looks like Solo ST.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

That one is copy-pasted from Rallycross rules. Wouldn't surprise me if Solo ST was the template.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Ah yes, RallyCross. I didn't think it was quite a Solo style.

If the class from which this is pulled is intended to be a street class, then the retention of operational emissions equipment is understandable. Also, given RallyCross' roots in Rally, remember that Rally cars must be street-legal (inspected and registered) for purposes of transits. I'm not certain if that philosophy has held over into RallyCross, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

1. I can replace the exhaust from the head back. Materials are "any material". I pick a straight pipe with a small muffler.

Next up, I have to pay attention to a, b and c.

a. Exit behind the driver. No problem.

b. Comply with noise. No problem.

c.......
    1. Any high flow cat is allowed.
    2. Multiple cats may be replaced by a single cat, and the location of that single cat is specified.
    3. If it didn't come with one, I don't have to have one.

Bolding is mine. I don't see anything in there that says I need to keep a cat. I'm ALLOWED to have a high-flow cat - no requirements there. I'm ALLOWED to replace two factory cats with one, and if I do that I'm restricted on its location. Only requirement is location. If the car didn't come with one, I don't need to add one. Again, no requirements.

It may very well be the intent that a cat is required, but I would have NO problem showing up with no cat and pointing at this rule in support of that.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region