Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Steering rack question? SM convert to ITS

...and this was a known property and the additional 3-5 horsepower was considered by the ITAC/CRB when the classification weight was set on the car (versus others in the class not having that opportunity). It would really suck to have such a light car get a significant weight break simply 'cause Mazda shipped out 50 cars without power steering and everybody else had it as standard.

Nah, not a conspiracy. One is chance, twice is coincidence, three times a charm... [/b]
    Are you freaking serious? Oh boy.

The 99's base models came without PS. PS was available in - coincidently - the 'power steering package'. That package was standard on any car that came through with an automatic. The Touring package and teh PEP (popular equipment package) came with PS as well. The 'Sports' package does not list PS as standard and does not list it as an option. Manual transmission only for the Sport.

I believe the 'Club Sport' version Trav is talking about was a 2003 model year only car.

Everybody OK now? Jeeezus. it's an old and tired routine.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Are you freaking serious? Oh boy.[/b]
    OF COURSE I'm freaking serious, Andy; do YOU want to give up a free 3-5 horsepower to a competitor? Hell, if so I'm all over it; I'll remove the power steering from my car faster than you can say "buh-bye".

The 99's base models came without PS....Everybody OK now? Jeeezus.[/b]
    Excellent, thanks for taking up your valuable time clearing that up for the unwashed masses there, Princess. And you been on this forum how many times since we started talking theoretically about this subject three days ago...?

Talk about "jeeezus"...

Excellent, thanks for taking up your valuable time clearing that up for the unwashed masses there, Princess. And you been on this forum how many times since we started talking theoretically about this subject three days ago...?

Talk about "jeeezus"...
    [/b]
    Greg,

I am in California in an airport trying to get home, been here on business since Sunday night.

The anit-Miata thing is old. Why can't you do some interweb research before typing comments like:

Nah, not a conspiracy. One is chance, twice is coincidence, three times a charm...[/b]
    The jury is out. I'm done.
    Andy Bettencourt

The anti[sic]-Miata thing is old.[/b]
    Touchy, touchy, Andy. I think you and Travis need to get together and have a good girlie-girl cry, maybe go shopping or something. Your sweetie cars are making you softy-soft...

P.S. had you made the prior post simply as a point of reference, dispensing with making sure everyone knows how "disgusted" you are that we would even CONSIDER such a discussion - assuming of course we were supposed to know that you've been sitting in a California airport since Sunday and all the construction details of a car that (coincidentally?) you're building right now - chances are your post would have been accepted more with thanks and seriousness than with derision...certainly by me.

P.P.S. By the way, there's a sale at Macy's this weekend; I can snag the coupon from my wife if you girls want it...

you and Jim Daniels should do an enduro together, i bet you even wear the same size helmet.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

P.S. had you made the prior post simply as a point of reference, dispensing with making sure everyone knows how "disgusted" you are that we would even CONSIDER such a discussion - assuming of course we were supposed to know that you've been sitting in a California airport since Sunday and all the construction details of a car that (coincidentally?) you're building right now - chances are your post would have been accepted more with thanks and seriousness than with derision...certainly by me.
    [/b]
    :snooze:

Now it's on ME that I haven't been on-line that much to hand-hold you through the issue? When you don't KNOW something, you reserve judgement until you get the facts. Something you obviously can't do WRT a Miata.

Andy Bettencourt

Now it's on ME that I haven't been on-line that much to hand-hold you through the issue? When you don't KNOW something, you reserve judgement [sic] until you get the facts. Something you obviously can't do WRT a Miata.[/b]
    Of course it's on "you": despite our structure of self-policing and protests, if there's questions as to what is and is not legal, it's ultimately the competitor's responsibility to ensure the legality of his car, not everyone else's.

Aaaannd...isn't "getting the facts" what we're trying to do here via this topic?

Aaaannd...isn't my writing above "I don't know the details on this particular model, but based on what's been written in this topic to date..." reserving judgment?

Like I said: touchy, touchy...but the Macy's coupon offer still stands. - GA

On edit:
    you and Jim Daniels should do an enduro together, i bet you even wear the same size helmet.
    [/b]
    Sorry, Travis, didn't mean to ignore you; I just didn't see this post prior.

Ironically, son, I've already done an enduro with Jim Daniels! 1991 24 Hours of Nelson Ledges, if I recall correctly, in an ITS (yes, "S") 1st-gen Mazda RX-7. Ole Jimbo rolled the car way back in the Carousel, I seem to recall, but we still finished. We used our individual helmets, though I think you may be right: they may have been of similar size...

Jealous, aren't you? (And, yes, the coupon offer still stands for you, too...GA)

Are you freaking serious? Oh boy.

Everybody OK now? Jeeezus. it's an old and tired routine.
    [/b]
    I think there may be some history going on here but as a new-comer to this group I gotta say, Andy, the above comments in your post struck me as condescending and insulting. And anti-Miata?? You could replace the car being discussed with any other and it wouldn't change any of the points being made. It seems to be about limited edition models, not anything specific about Miatas.

You might want to reexamine once you aren't stuck in an airport.

And rehashing old issues over and over again, well that's the life-blood of message boards. Don't try to stop it, embrace the lunacy of it!

Or, since I don't have a Miata or an ITS, I could just mind my own business.

-chuck-
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

Although highly entertaining, the poor original poster probably has his head spinning.

You see, Greg and Andy used to be lovers and the relationship ended badly. They couldn't decide who would get the poodle. So forgive them for their little spats.

I still can't figure out which one was the girl..........

:P
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I think there may be some history going on here......

-chuck-
    [/b]
    here's the basics of it....

Greg won the ARRC last year. He now thinks he's the worlds greatest driver (at least in the IT world) and he has the right to be condescending and an arrogant prick in all manners of public web forum. He also believes that Mazda, the SCCA, and specifically Andy have conspired to adjusted the rules to their liking so the Miata is a complete overdog. Since Andy in his Miata has beaten Greg on track in the past, and that nobody can possibly be better than he is, Greg believes the Miata needs to have over 100lbs of weight added.

On edit:

Ironically, son...

Jealous, aren't you? (And, yes, the coupon offer still stands for you, too...GA)
    [/b]
    Joe, if you want to talk about people being condescending and insulting, here's your example.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

They couldn't decide who would get the poodle.[/b]
    It was (R.I.P.!) a Pomeranian.

I still can't figure out which one was the girl...[/b]
    We swapped out, occasionally.

here's the basics of it...[/b]
    I was right: you are jealous. Terribly.

(BTW, Lawton says the ARRC win changed absolutely nothing about me...'though I can't quite figure out what he means by that...)

Joe, if you want to talk about people being condescending and insulting, here's your example.
    [/b]
    The difference is, Greg was insulting Andy. Andy was insulting everyone. Since I include myself in the "everyone" category, I didn't care for it much since I hadn't done anything to anyone.

All taken with a grain of salt.

-chuck-

PS. I need to change my user name, everyone keeps calling me Joe.

...that's a different deal to get a single local dealer to offer their own trim level.

the club sport was in the print media offered as model, just like the LS and SE. everyone who took home a brochure knew it was available.[/b]
    So applying that logic, my dealer friend needs to put ads in the print media and make brochures. Sorry - conceptually, that just doesn't hold water.

But of course, my question was predicated on the accuracy of Travis' information, which Andy's additional details - which I'm pretty confident he wouldn't post unless he knew they were accurate - contradict making my issue moot in this case.

On the subject of Gregandy, I trust Jeff. He was the pom's godfather.

Further, I don't think Andy intended to insult everybody. The Toyo Kogyo chip in basal lobe just makes him sound that way sometimes.

Finally, Greg is NOT pissed about the ITA Miata weight spec because Andy's beat him. Greg is totally OK with getting beat fair and square, even if he's not really used to it recently. Greg is unhappy because said car was spec'd through a process inconsistent with that being generally applied. It was expeditious but not right, and I'm equally unhappy with it. And Andy can't beat me, 'cause I don't run ITA.

K

PS. I need to change my user name, everyone keeps calling me Joe. [/b]
    Just create a signature and put your name in it.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Wow, and to think I've been bypassing this thread for the past three days...what was I thinking

Had I not given in to curiosity this evening I would have no idea that:

The Miata was available without power steering....

That Greg and Andy were once lovers, but split up when they couldn't agree on who would be pitching and who would be catching...

That Travis is jealous because Greg chose JD over him....

That Greg is a condescending, arrogant prick with a big head....

ok maybe I already knew that

And the saddest part of all....

The poodle died

I need a tissue
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

You're right, this is better than Desperate Housewives.

Wait a minute, did I just admit that I watch Desperate Housewives? Joe, the name is Joe.

Greg wrote:
    Of course it's on "you": despite our structure of self-policing and protests, if there's questions as to what is and is not legal, it's ultimately the competitor's responsibility to ensure the legality of his car, not everyone else's.

Aaaannd...isn't "getting the facts" what we're trying to do here via this topic?

Aaaannd...isn't my writing above "I don't know the details on this particular model, but based on what's been written in this topic to date..." reserving judgment?

Like I said: touchy, touchy...but the Macy's coupon offer still stands. - GA[/b]
    Greg,

You don't get it. First you take your standard GregA 'poke' at the Miata classification inferring that something has been done to give it an advantage. Then you bitched at me for 'not posting quick enough' - when I had no access to do so, then you offer me a Macy's coupon when I tell you to pound sand? That's rich.

You can try and 'get the facts' without your stupid little barbs that insult the ITAC and CRB. Maybe everyone in 'your circle' think it's cool but it seems petty.

You definately 'reserved judgement' when you wrote your little gem:
    Nah, not a conspiracy. One is chance, twice is coincidence, three times a charm...[/b]

Chuck wrote:
    I think there may be some history going on here but as a new-comer to this group I gotta say, Andy, the above comments in your post struck me as condescending and insulting. And anti-Miata?? You could replace the car being discussed with any other and it wouldn't change any of the points being made. It seems to be about limited edition models, not anything specific about Miatas.

You might want to reexamine once you aren't stuck in an airport.

And rehashing old issues over and over again, well that's the life-blood of message boards. Don't try to stop it, embrace the lunacy of it!

Or, since I don't have a Miata or an ITS, I could just mind my own business.

-chuck-[/b]
    Chuck,

You have to know Greg's history for anti-Miata sentiment. His distain for Spec Miata's and the ITA Miata classing process are well documented. When he then throws in BS Miata-hate crap (again, like he is documented as having an affinity for) WITHOUT getting the facts FIRST, it is an insult TO THE PEOPLE who volunteer their time to try and get this stuff right for everyone. Did I get fired up? Yes - but only because of his insinuation that something was bogus about this classification without waiting to first understand. If you were insulted by my admiditably peeved response to Greg, I apologize.

Kirk wrote:
    Greg is unhappy because said car was spec'd through a process inconsistent with that being generally applied. It was expeditious but not right, and I'm equally unhappy with it. [/b]
    But that is just not true Kirk. The time-frame of the classification requests and the nature of the facts were all 1st-timers in the 'history of the process'. I believe 100% the ITA Miata classification is correct and would do the SAME thing agian to ANY car, given the same timing and facts about the equipment. Agree or disagree with the result, but please don't imply it was an inconsistant application to a normal situation - or rushed in any way. It was a well thought out and logical classification given the information and timing of requests presented to us.

Things were going much smoother when I wasn't posting. I leave it up to Jake and Josh from here on out!
    Andy Bettencourt

Greg wrote:

Things were going much smoother when I wasn't posting. I leave it up to Jake and Josh from here on out! [/b]
    Wonderful.................
    Josh, your turn!

(New guys get the short stick sometimes! )
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

So applying that logic, my dealer friend needs to put ads in the print media and make brochures. Sorry - conceptually, that just doesn't hold water.

K
    [/b]
    good try kirk, but not the same thing at all as the brochures coming from Mazda North America to every dealership in the country and being available to everyone.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

So I make sure he makes hundreds of thousands of brochures and sends them to every Mazda dealer in the US. Ta-da!

OR, he gets in touch with his buddy at VWoA and has him print and distribute them. TA-DAAAA!

Actually, we're going to end up at a place (probably) where your test is whether it's an "official factory option," which was the standard applied for a while in the Club. Pretty much every sanctioning body from FIA to NASCAR has had to deal with "specials," has used the standard I think you're heading toward, and has given it up for something like homologation production numbers requirements - simply because the distinction of which individual takes the initiative (me, my dealer, or some Bob in a decision-making position at VW) just doesn't make ANY difference.

Now, if you think I'm just being hyperbolic, Greg can probably share more examples from SS of yesteryore, and you can noodle over what is in place in the IT ruleset (today), that might prevent this kind of stuff from happening when IT gets really interesting to some manufacturer's marketing guy or gal, when a bunch of other National classes have exploded.

K

PS - If he's paying attention, Travis will recognize the potential of this topic as anti-IT-goes-National fodder.