Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Steering rack question? SM convert to ITS

Doing research on converting to ITS. I understand the difference on exhuast(exiting the rear), but I don't know what to do when it comes to the steering rack. My pump was just removed and a hose was added to have the fluid go back and forth(de-powered), but as I understand it this is not legal. Can anyone help or is this OK in IT?

as the rules go,, you have remove the power steering rack and install a non power steering rack,

as the rules go,, you have remove the power steering rack and install a non power steering rack,
    [/b]

...........only if the car came with a non power steering rack option from the factory.........right?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Only if a car on the spec line in question came without PS. And then, it has to be updated/backdated as an entire "assembly."

K

DID THE 1999 COME WITHOUT POWER STEERING? IF IT DID NOT IS IT OK TO DO WHAT I DID? I AM CONFUSED BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN MANY ITS RX7'S WITH THE POWER RACK JUST DE-POWERED....MUST NOT BE LEGAL ON THOSE GUYS CARS.

>>> DID THE 1999 COME WITHOUT POWER STEERING?

I DON'T KNOW!!! Oh, uh, sorry...um, I don't know; you'll need to find that out.

>>> IF IT DID NOT IS IT OK TO DO WHAT I DID?

If the car never came without power steering, you *must* run a fully-functioning power steering system in Improved Touring.

>>> I HAVE SEEN MANY ITS RX7'S WITH THE POWER RACK JUST DE-POWERED....MUST NOT BE LEGAL ON THOSE GUYS CARS.

See above...

i'm pretty sure the 99 Club Sport edition of which they only made 50 or so didn't have PS, so just get a manual rack and you'll be fine.

should be as easy as calling mazda motorsports and asking, "you guys have a manual rack for a 99 miata right? yeah, i need one of those."
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

i'm pretty sure the 99 Club Sport edition of which they only made 50 or so didn't have PS, so just get a manual rack and you'll be fine.

should be as easy as calling mazda motorsports and asking, "you guys have a manual rack for a 99 miata right? yeah, i need one of those."
    [/b]
    Well yeah, it's easy up to that point. And then they're going to tell you how much it costs!
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

There is a manual rack for the 1999 and it's about $500 complete from Mazdacomp brand new.\ from what I can see on their website.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I AM CONFUSED BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN MANY ITS RX7'S WITH THE POWER RACK JUST DE-POWERED....MUST NOT BE LEGAL ON THOSE GUYS CARS. [/b]
    Correct. Either a fully functional PS system or a manual rack.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Andy,
    Thank you for the info......guess other people here get pissy if you are just tying to get answers the lazy way (ASKING QUESTIONS ON A FORUM!) Hmm . I was hoping for someone who races an ITS miata to chime in,but I guess most are staying in SM. Thanks

Andy...I was hoping for someone who races an ITS miata to chime in...[/b]
    "Shave and a haircut, two bits!"

Buh-doom, bash!

(Inside joke; this'll make sense later, trust me...)

Andy,
    Thank you for the info......guess other people here get pissy if you are just tying to get answers the lazy way (ASKING QUESTIONS ON A FORUM!) Hmm . I was hoping for someone who races an ITS miata to chime in,but I guess most are staying in SM. Thanks
    [/b]
    The real problem is that you might get a popular-but-illegal answer, perpetuating the myth that something is "okay" - like de-powering RX7 steering systems.

However, the simple fact that A PART IS AVAILABLE does not make it legal. That's not a good test. The question is, did any US-model (whatevers) come with it? I think "50" is kind of hinky* but if a regular someone could order from a dealer and get a '99 Miata with manual rack #233 433 54343, then that part is AOK.

K

* Somewhat outside of what the original intent.

...did any US-model (whatevers) come with it? I think "50" is kind of hinky* but if a regular someone could order from a dealer...[/b]
    ...and this was a known property and the additional 3-5 horsepower was considered by the ITAC/CRB when the classification weight was set on the car (versus others in the class not having that opportunity). It would really suck to have such a light car get a significant weight break simply 'cause Mazda shipped out 50 cars without power steering and everybody else had it as standard.

Nah, not a conspiracy. One is chance, twice is coincidence, three times a charm...

The question is, did any US-model (whatevers) come with it? I think "50" is kind of hinky* but if a regular someone could order from a dealer and get a '99 Miata with manual rack #233 433 54343, then that part is AOK.
    [/b]
    iirc....yes and no.

the club sport model was printed as a trim level in the product brochure, but i think you had to have a competition liscense for them to sell you one.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

...i think you had to have a competition liscense for them to sell you one.[/b]
    Things that make you go "hmmmm"...If true, I suggest the manual rack is not legal for ITS. - GA

Things that make you go "hmmmm"...If true, I suggest the manual rack is not legal for ITS. - GA
    [/b]
    You could buy them for autocross too, so no license was required.

You DID however have to order them from MazdaComp, so you had to be a MazdaComp member. But anyone can become a member, so I don't know if that makes any difference.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

I don't know the details, but think of it this way:

Nissan Corp offered a limited-edition NX2000, of which only 50 were made. Mostly it was trim items (and other items which are legal within IT rules to modify/remove), but there were some performance improvements, such as removal of the power steering (which adds something like 3-5 ponies to the "standard" NX2000 due to lowering of parasitic drag).

You couldn't walk into a dealership and buy one of these 50 NX2000 Club Sports; you had to sign up for Nissan's Grassroots Motorsports program, and the car had to be ordered through them.

How many of you say, "yup, that Club Sport manual rack should be allowed on the Improved Touring A Nissan NX2000"?

As I said, I don't know the details on this particular model, but based on what's been written in this topic to date it sure seems like a slam-dunk decision to me...

A thousand years ago - and remembering the showroom stock roots of IT - there was language in the rules about "base model" or something like that. There was language about "dealer installed options" and "standard equipment" or some such. The intent, based on prevailing SS thinking and then-current issues about "special" or "limited edition" models on that category, was clearly to avoid this kind of thing.

How about this - I talk my local dealer into offering a Flow VW Motorsports Edition new Rabbit, with a close ratio 'box and huge rotors. He's a fan and gets them built (a la Roush or whoever), and sells 50 of them. All those trick parts are now IT-legal, right? All I have to do is request that the dimensions and ratios get listed in the ITCS.

K

EDIT - and yes, I know the new Rabbit isn't age-eligible yet. I'm planning ahead for the 2012 ARRC.

that's a different deal to get a single local dealer to offer their own trim level.

the club sport was in the print media offered as model, just like the LS and SE. everyone who took home a brochure knew it was available.

my BFF daniels already tried what you are talking about with the MX5 in SSB this year with new suspension being available through MER, which SURPRISE!, is an outfit he is closely affiliated with. SCCA denied it.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region