About the same time NW Region was playing around with its first set of (pre-national) IT rules, a couple of guys designed a thing they called Sports 1600.

This was when S2000s were still new but were already expensive and one of our friends built a CSR on an old SuperVee Ralt chassis (RT1, I think), with swoopy bodywork off of a Shrike S2. He burned up WAY more money they expected and the thing never worked very well, as far as I know.

Anyway, we were all hot on sports racers but financial reality made them a really dumb option. So (over beer and pizza, of course) Sports 1600 was born. Recipe follows:

** One Formula Vee of your choice - remove engine and bodywork, and warm over as necessary

** One dual-port 1600cc aircooled VW engine - stock rebuild from a contracted shop, claim price would be the same as a new one

** One set of bodywork of your choice or design. Must cover the wheels and space between them when viewed from the top but may be either full-envelope or "pontoon" style

** Run wing(s) if you think you can push them through the air and gain more than you lose

** 5x15" wheels with spec radial tires. At the time, I think we were looking at H-rated Goodyear Eagle GTs.

** Go racing.

A full pack of these things would have been great fun. This was (although not by much) pre-Spec Renault (now SRF). That option never really got me going although they are better now. Bodywork that didn't look like a baboon running away from you would help.

[/b]
Occasionally, vintage "vsr"s from the North East will pop up on ebay or elsewhere. Same idea, except the chassis was replaced with a full 2 seater, usually LeGrand inspired and crude. I don't know if this was a regional or Solo I class attempt. There was also a short lived 'F100' class in England that was pretty much a cost controlled cousin to the DSR, and I believe cars designed for the former, ended up in the latter. The problem usually was cost controls that were not.