Thread: 2 qual sessions or 1 ?

I wanted to bring up this point for those to discuss. I chose to do it on IT.com even though I race SM, because I think there is real NE region community here.

there are a few weekends when we have 2 qual sessions then the race the next day.
    It seems so like there is so much wasted time. I rather just have 1 longer session and be done.

- 1 less heat cycle on the tires,
    - 5min wasted for each group in between sessions, thats 40 more minutes that can be spent on track
    right their each group would pick up another 5 min. by just doing 1 session.
    I am sure there are other reasons also

Another problem I have noticed on these weekends is warmup. (Now I am reletivly new at this, My 3rd season)
    I thought these were "Hardship" practices for those that fixed something, changed a motor, missed qual, etc. I thought only a few guys would use them. But on these single race weekends, seems like every car is lining up for these 2 lap sessions? with all the gridding for all the cars and the 4 groups needed to fit them on the track, we end up killing alot of time on race day, and it seems like no one gets a clean lap, it dangerous with the mix of cars in all the traffic, and someone always drops oil right before the race.

Double race weekends don't have warmup, we just dive right into the qual session and it seems fine for everyone.

what do you think?

Kevin Anderson

I agree that in both regional and national races, all 2 day weekends should be double events. Honestly, if you do not get it done by lap 4 in qualifying, its probably not going to happen. Its just more time to wear down your car. If you need more track time, do driver schools or test days. Its cheaper. I am sick of the excessive idle time at most events. With the cost of fuel and entry fees, lets maximize our racing time. It will also help those that think a race is the place to prep the car. Prep the car before you get there or don't waste the gas to show up. I guess that comes from being kept up countless nights by poeple who show up and prep there cars all night at the track and keep me up with there generators running all night. Rant off.
    Chris Howard

As I understand it, all double weekends would require a qualifing session and a race each day.
    I don't think you can use Saturdays results to set Sunday's grid on a double.
    What about single events with parctice/qual. and then a qualifing race on the first day and then a longer race on the second?
    Jerry
    NER South

I think we all want race time. The triple format NER does is freakin' awesome.

The events Kevin is talking about have to be the 2-day singles at LRP. 2 qualifying sessions on Friday, then a 3-4 group open warm-up Sat morning, then Sat late morning-afternoon races.

For events like that, here is what I would like to see:

Friday morning qual - 15 minutes.
    Friday afternoon qual race - 15 laps
    Sat morning single group hardship practice by CS approval ONLY (if we have to have something)
    25 lap races Sat late morning - afternoon races.

This gets us the most racing and tons of laps for our money at LRP.

Or - check out what MoHud did this year by holding 2 qualifiers on Friday and 2 races on Sat. I liked that as well.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

As I understand it, all double weekends would require a qualifing session and a race each day.
    I don't think you can use Saturdays results to set Sunday's grid on a double.
    [/b]
    A 'double' weekend can have two qualifying sessions on Day 1 and two races on Day 2.

Re: two races on a 'single' Regional weekend: Some Regions and tracks regularly do a Day 1 practice/qualifying session, followed by a 'qualifying race'. Day 2 will then have a race gridded on the finishing results on the Day 1 race. It's a common practice at Nelson Ledges, regardless of the host-Region.

My preferences has always been "practice/qualify less, RACE more". I really like the "qualifying race & main race" format. Racers need to voice preferences to Region's race administrators. Make your preferences known.

Re: warm-up & hardship sessions: At some tracks, "morning warm-up" is a little excessive. "Lime Rock" comes to mind. There might be 4 sessions for closed-wheel cars, but you'll see the same car out there for two or three of those sessions. WTF ? And, and someone has already mentioned, there will always be the inevitable "grenaded engine in warm-up" that takes 30 minutes to clean up. Terrific. Great. Wonderful. It makes the day longer for all race specialties and racers.

Personal opinion: Use "hardship", and only with permission from Chief Steward. Only allow "morning warm-up" sessions if the weather has change (dry-wet, wet-dry) so racers are not taking a wild guess on set-ups. Open warm up sessions just piss time away.

I really liked the format at the last two doubles I attended:
    • Sat morning qualifying
    • Sat afternoon points race - gridded by Sat morning fastest lap
    • Sunday morning non-points qualifying race - gridded by Sat afternoon fastest lap
    • Sunday afternoon points race - gridded by Sun morning finishing position
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Andy
    I don't know if you can actually race on Friday at LRP?
    Jerry
    NER South

I also think the double qualifying sessions is a waste of time. On occasion its nice if you have a mechanical problem but it also has the potential of wasting an entire morning or afternoon. Rainy mornings and a dry afternoons are common.

I like the Qualify/Qualify Race format also. I prefer racing to qualifying.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

I like the Qualify/Qualify Race format also.[/b]
    Me too!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Andy
    I don't know if you can actually race on Friday at LRP?
    [/b]
    You cannot race at LRP on Fridays.

That is why MoHud did their q sessions on Friday and their two races on Saturday for their double this spring.
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

That is why MoHud did their q sessions on Friday and their two races on Saturday for their double this spring. [/b]
    If it's a 'qualifying race' - is it a 'race' or is it a qualifier?

Andy Bettencourt

We did a 2 qual session weekend at the glen that really started me thinking, We had 2 short qual sessions on sat. they were like 6 laps each, almost seemed like a waste of time. I kept thinking, I rather just go out for 14 laps and be done. Then warmup and race on sun.

Like Andy mentioned we also had the same format at LRP. either do a double or triple race weekend or one long qual and one long race
    Kevin Anderson

Heck, if it's not possible to get away with a "qual." race, I'd probably rather have a "wacky practice" where some fun things are done such some of the race ideas previously mentioned (invert. grid 1 - 10).
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

That is why MoHud did their q sessions on Friday and their two races on Saturday for their double this spring.
    [/b]
    Wow, hadn't heard that before-those stupid bylaws are too damn specific! I'm surprised the lawmakers that came up with them know the difference between a "race" and "practice"...
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Wow, hadn't heard that before-those stupid bylaws are too damn specific! I'm surprised the lawmakers that came up with them know the difference between a "race" and "practice"...

[/b]
    It's not a by-law, it is part of the court injunction that also prevents racing on Sunday and limits the number of un-muffled weekends.

And, if it starts with a green flag and ends with checkered flag (or any other flags serving the same purpose), it is a race.
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

So start it and end it with different flags! :P

Seriously, MoHud had it right. 2 seperate quals on Friday for 2 seperate races on Saturday. A double at Lime Rock! Now let's hope it actually counts as a double this year...

Andy Bettencourt

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

It's not a by-law, it is part of the court injunction that also prevents racing on Sunday and limits the number of un-muffled weekends.

And, if it starts with a green flag and ends with checkered flag (or any other flags serving the same purpose), it is a race.
    [/b]
    Injunction, town bylaw, whatever... cars at speed are cars at speed, either way.
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member