Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is cheaper??

Another option you could consider is adopting -[/b]
    That's it! I'll adopt a race car.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

I have two kids now, our daughter is 2 1/2, our son is 6 months. I would trade a lifetime of racing for 5 minutes with either of my kids. There is no comparison. I'm finding that I increasingly want to spend my weekends and free-time with the kids rather than at the racetrack.

I haven't found our kids to be expensive at all, but I'm sure that'll change as they get older! Two sets of tires pays for an all-inclusive trip for 5 days for the whole family to Disneyland. Not hard to figure out which one gets preference there!

I'm not one of those guys who really wanted kids, I never really thought about it till I got married. Now that I've done it though, I could never go back.

Bottom line, you can race any time, you only have a limited window to have kids!
    [/b]
    Our oldest turns 3 next month. Our youngest is 7 months.

I do both. Both are expensive. Like anything in life, you find a way to do the things you really love. I don't find racing and kids mutually exclusive. Lukas attended his first race - June Sprints - at 8months. Nikolas attended his first at 5 months.

I am a firm believer that children are portable, and should be integrated into the things you love to do in life, not supercede them. This generates experiences and memories that both of you can cherish.

Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Having 12 children, 30 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren......... my wife and I are by no means experts. But here are my thoughts (and they go along with 99.9% of the previous comments). Have children as soon as you can (that gives them more time to support you later, hopefully). Have as many as you can (spread out that support burden). They will be the highest highs and the lowest lows you will ever experience, just be ready for it! Love them no matter what. You can only teach them - they have their agency to do whatever they want. We can only hope that they make good decisions. Be consistant and fair. Be strict when you need to - they may hate you today, but they will love you down the road. Listen to them, especially when they are not talking to you. You will be amazed at how they will show their love. We recently spent two and a half days in the rain at Mid-Ohio and my daughter (not an outdoor type) did not complain once! Have fun with them. Include them in family affairs as much as possible. Let them know constantly by your words and actions how much you love them.

Bottom line, if I had to choose between racing and kids, I would choose kids. Make your decision, keep your priorities straight. Your success will be directly proportional to the effort (perceived or actual) you put into life.

My 14 year old daughter came back to live with my wife and me (after we had been empty nesters for 12 years), two weeks before I did my drivers' schools. Megan is now 18, and a lot of water has gone over the dam. Keep family first! They are what will be around long after the racing is over. I am attaching a picture of Megan and I driving down to Tech at my first race. See was saying to me 'Don't tell Mom (ex-wife who hated racing) how much fun I'm having!' Brought tears to my eyes!

Good luck!

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I'm sorry the Northeast guys have to see this again....

I only have one thing to say:

Best day of my life having my son there to celebrate
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Having 12 children, 30 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren......... my wife and I are by no means experts.[/b]
    Holy moly! You should be experts. Either that or rabbits.
    Tom Sprecher

I am a firm believer that children are portable, and should be integrated into the things you love to do in life, not supercede them.[/b]
    I absolutely agree with this. We're having our first in late January and when talking with various people I hear "so I guess that means no more racing, huh?" or "now you'll have to sell the two seater car". Neither of those is going to happen. I will admit that right after we decided to have try having kids in the upcoming months, I made sure to build my racecar as much as possible even if that meant less racing this year.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave - this is exactly what I did. I spent more time and effort on the race car than usual leading up to the first baby, because I knew both would be harder to direct at the car afterwards.

Don't worry you will soon adjust by reducing your sleep time to make race car time after the rug rats go to bed. :P
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I absolutely agree with this. We're having our first in late January and when talking with various people I hear "so I guess that means no more racing, huh?" or "now you'll have to sell the two seater car". Neither of those is going to happen. I will admit that right after we decided to have try having kids in the upcoming months, I made sure to build my racecar as much as possible even if that meant less racing this year.
    [/b]

No need to sell the 2 seater, but in about 7-8 years you'll get it out again and brag about its low mileage.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Thanks to all for all of the replies thus far, especially RacerBill. In regard to the putting more effort into the car now because of constraints later, Captain Who and I have (basically) rebuilt the large majority of the Rx7, the 1st of our "clown car" SPUs is about to come out of the shop, and we have another SPU project with no deadline in the works.
    In regard to the statement about having kids earlier, I didn't have a wife then to have one with!! LOL. Not that this has stopped some folks, but it seemed like a good idea to me. She wants two kids, but I'm leaning towards keeping it to only one. With her hypertension, we'll have to see what happens with the first one and go from there. Already referred to a "high risk OB" despite our not having begun to "try" yet.
    Please don't take the wording of the title of the subject for this thread as being an "either-or" situation. Guess that I'm just kinda intimidated and, yes, a bit scared too.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I hate my kids.......all four of them! Did they listen to me when they asked me to autocross with their dear old dad? Nope, they came and raced anyway. Did they take my advise and join the military instead of going to college, not a chance in hell! Do you all know how much of the racing budget disappears when three are in college simultaneously? Did my 16 year old son listen to me and stay away from an SCCA drivers' school this March, no way! Did I mention that little fart cut me off in three corners while I was trying to pass him? And now for the kicker! Did my son listen to me when I told him to just hit the next reck me otter that cuts him off in a corner? Nope, and he hit the wall in turn 3 at Gateway IN MY CAR!

Wouldn't trade a minute of it without em! Keep them in your life and stay in theirs as a mentor, friend, and above all, AS A PARENT! Sometimes they do get confused about the parent part.

I am one of the babies when it comes to the age of a racer so I haven't been through the same situations as most of you yet. My daughter is almost three and she loves going to the track, driving the race car in the garage, and "fixing" her Power Wheel when I am in the garage fixing the car.
    About a different car because of children-
    After my daughter was born my wife wanted a four door car. Instead of buying a people mover or Chevy, we decided on a standard 328i. The car has 4 doors for her and three pedals for me which means a potential race car in the future. There are usually positive things about any idea if you look hard enough.

Jeremy Cesene
    Hillbilly Motorsports

<strike>Having kids</strike>, buying your first house, and racing - all things you can&#39;t really afford - you just DO it.
    [/b]
    Is 67% a passing grade?

My wife and I HAD that conversation before we ever got to the marryin&#39; stage.

K

Kirk you are already on your second child....sort of.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires