Thread: Best Bang for the Buck?

It may be about time to consider building a new car. Which cars in each class do you think offers the best bang for the buck? Cheapest to build/maintain, good knowledge base and good aftermarket support. I know, I know, buying a car already built and sorted is the most cost effective, but if you were to build one, what would it be? I'm particularly interested in opinions on ITB cars since that's were I've been racing.

Bob Clifton
    ITB #05 Dodge Daytona

How about an ITB Dodge Daytona? I think the G-bodies could make a good run there...

Well, I do have some time and money tied up in the car already <_< . On the down side, the car is heavy at 2630 (300 pounds heavier than the Charger 2.2 and Omni). I need half a tank of gas to make minimum plus I still have the center console, door panels w/ speakers and a lot of other interior parts in the car. If the minimum weight ever got lowered, I can make the car lighter. Part of what got me thinking about another car (besides the Shelby Charger discussion), is that I don&#39;t think there are any off the shelf struts available and that is going to be the next area of improvement & expense(I&#39;m currently running KYB&#39;s).

There would be some satisfaction in making a car that&#39;s different competitive (you know about that!).

Bob Clifton
    ITB #05 Dodge Daytona

On the down side, the car is heavy at 2630 (300 pounds heavier than the Charger 2.2 and Omni).[/b]
    Request a reconsideration for weight. That car is functionally the same thing as the L-body cars that just got reclassified, with the main differences being EFI (and not a particularly good one), cable shifter versus rods, and a slightly beefier differential. Hell, even the later non-turbo 2.5L engine was only rated at something like 100hp.

No reason that car should weigh 300 pounds more, other than no one&#39;s asked for it to be reconsidered. - GA

Greg,

What do I need to do to request a reconsideration of weight?

Thanks.

Bob Clifton
    ITB #05 Dodge Daytona

Bob, you can do it as simply as sending a request to "crb at scca dot com".

To bolster your case you might fill out the Vehicle Technical Specs, or VTS, sheet and send that in along as well. However, given that the CRB/ITAC already has most of the specs of the Dodges, given they&#39;ve just discussed them, you may get away with describing only the differences between the L- and G-bodies that effect performance. You&#39;ll get dinged a bit of weight for the larger brakes, but otherwise it&#39;s pretty much the same car...

ITAC members care to comment?

Thanks, Greg, I&#39;ll submit that request. Now if I can find some better struts & shocks...

Bob Clifton
    ITB #05 Dodge Daytona

While I am not able to own or race one, the simple answer is HONDUH--in all of the ITC, ITB and ITA classes.

Just need to know firm HP and torque numbers for an estimate.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The best horsepower for the 2.2 TBI was the &#39;84-85 engine with 99 hp @ 5600 rpm and 121 lbs/ft of torque @ 3200 rpm. They changed the throttle body and cylinder head design in &#39;86 and the power dropped to 97 hp @ 5200 (torque went up to 122 lbs/ft @ 3200). Power dropped again in &#39;88 to 93 @ 5200 (torque stayed the same) but I don&#39;t know why. &#39;88 was the year they went to the roller cam, so specs might be different.

The best numbers for the carbed 2.2 (non Shelby) were the &#39;84 and up engines at 96 hp @ 5200 and 119 lbs/ft @ 3200. So the TBI was worth 3 hp and 2 lbs/ft over a standard 2.2.

The Shelby 2.2&#39;s were 110 hp @ 5600 and 129 lbs/ft @ 3600. That was due to higher compression (they decked the block) and altered cam timing.

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

I don&#39;t know all of the make/model details but given the amount of variation described above, it kind of sounds like we are talking about cars that should be on several different spec lines.

K

I love the Saturn because of it&#39;s Polymer panels, And they are everywhere!
    Every auto trader has one for $500.00 or less
    Parts are cheap!

It is a very underestimated car. We won the National Championship in 2001 in SSC.
    We have been on the podium everytime we have been out unless for a DNF of course. Heck the motor we are running right now the pistons have 150k on them....lol
    1.9 4 cyl with 124 h.p. and 124ft lbs torque stock!.......
    Now with being able to replace the ECU it will definately be a rocket ship! (Jan 2008)
    alota bang for the buck!
    just my opinion ITA is the best class I have ever run.

O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com

IF you can&#39;t get the Dodge classed at a competitive weight, then I&#39;d say an older Honda Civic would be an excellent choice.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

While I am not able to own or race one, the simple answer is HONDUH--in all of the ITC, ITB and ITA classes.
    [/b]
    If you&#39;re looking to build a new(er) car, I&#39;d suggest a 88-91 Civic STD Hatch in ITC, a 88-91 Civic DX hatchback in ITB, or a 88-91 Civic/CRX Si in ITA. All are viable options for their respective classes depending on how fast you want to go
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

True.

The 2.2L TBI engine is used in the "84-&#39;89 Daytona classed in ITB at 2630 lbs. and in the &#39;89-91 Dodge Shadow classed in ITB at 2680 lbs.

The standard carbed 2.2 was used in the &#39;81-85 Dodge Charger/O24, the &#39;80-90 Dodge Omni, the &#39;80-90 Plymouth Horizon and the &#39;81-85 Plymouth TC3/Turismo all classed in ITB at 2350 lbs.

The high output (11o hp) carbed 2.2 was used in the Shelby cars. The Dodge Omni GLH currently classed in ITA @ 2350 and the &#39;83-84 Shelby Charger is currently classed in ITA @ 2430 lbs.

I included the info on the carbed in engines my previous post for comparison (the Daytona had 3 more horsepower stock than the Charger/Omni/Horizon/Turismo but has minimum weight that is 280 lbs. higher). The carbed engines were not used in the Daytona.

Hope that didn&#39;t confuse anyone.

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona

O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com