Trust me, EVERYONE would love to do this cheaper. But you also have to have rules that make sense.
This forum isn't associated with the SCCA.

Wouldn't it be cheapest and easiest to run stock wheels?? Did your GTi come with stock 7" wheels? If it's an A1, you can get stock wheels for almost FREE!!. So I guess I'm a little confused on where you're coming from?

Let me throw another question at you. The A1 front bearings are known weak point and should be changed multiple times a season for safety. Although not a bank breaker, it's still some coin. If Audi bearings were used with a little modification of the knuckle, they would rarely go bad and would save some money. So, do you think that should be allowed?

My point is it starts to open a can of worms. We can't make the rules based on cost. A new guy looking to race isn't going to make his dcision about IT based on the fact that 7" wheels are legal. It's still cheap to find a stock car (and wheels), put safety gear in it and race!
[/b]

ding ding ding!!! I run stock OEM VW wheels. Though I did luck out with my knowledge and rummaging and get myself now 3 sets of OEM forged castelette (carbriolet) 14x6 wheels for my dry tires and I run snowflakes for my DE instructing and wet tires. Since I got my permit I have gone from a 1:38.xx at summit point to consistently running in the 34's and I am sure with more driver development and a minor alignment change and I can even best that (taking in the face come spring the track will be faster in general.)

I am not trying to protect anything, let the pointy end go out and buy an new set of panasport 13x6 for their 2002, I will stick with my oem wheels. The other reason I see no reason to go lighter wheels right now is it just means finding more room for another 40-50# of lead in passanger side of the car. Why bother when I am not at that point of the field and heck why not be in that end fo the field on stock wheels?