Thread: Sloppy Tranny in my 240sx

Double entendres are fun.

I have new stock motor mounts and a new transmission mount, but the shifting in the 240sx is still ugly. I've driven many other cars on track and I have never had shifting problems like these...about 10% of the time I shift into 4th but hit reverse or 2nd instead. I've been through one transmission already due to a 3rd to reverse goof, and I don't want to destroy a motor by fully going into 2nd.
    What can I do legally? Would an engine stay rod help?

Thanks,
    Timooo

There is usually a bushing of some sort in the shifter mechanism itself -- I bet that is where your problem is.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

There is usually a bushing of some sort in the shifter mechanism itself -- I bet that is where your problem is.
    [/b]
    yes there is. remove the shift boot and unbolt the 4x10mm bolts where the shifter mounts on the transmission. then use a c-clip remover or or pliers to remove the c-clip. once the c-clip is removed the shifter will come out and you'll see the little white bushing.

Little white bushing has very little or no play on either the shifter or the hole in the shift rod it fits into.
    This is the 3rd transmission, and all had the same problem.

Is the shifter sloppy while it's in gear? I.e. Does it move side to side? Mine's pretty sloppy as well, but I know it's the bushing. When it's in gear I have side to side movement. I haven't had any issues going into the wrong gear, but it is annoying. Replacing the bushings is pretty easy and cheap so you could try it and see if it helps. If the bushings are good, not sure what to tell you. I only have the stock mounts and haven't had any issues.

I believe you are legally allowed one extra engine stay, but check the GCR. I don't know if that would help your situation.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

A while ago, I heated the stock shifter and bent it to a better angle. I think I messed up the geometry when I did that. Nevertheless, I'll replace the bushing, put in a new shifter, add the engine stay rod I am allowed and see what happens.
    Thanks,
    Timo

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/p..._1971_119686474

Assuming you shifter is this setup.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/p..._1971_119713139

remove the top 4-bolts and take the shifter out. Look carefully and you will notice some springs. Those are the reason the shifter 'dances' while driving

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yaho...ksshspkit.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/p...s_1971_42742199

http://www.aerodyne.net/avante/avante_otherparts.htm

the link above show another upgrade. switching over to metal clips/collars. It doesn't shorten the throw. But it certainly is another way so solidify the feel of your shifter

My car was already built and came with the metal collars so that may explain why I haven't had issues. I may replace the plastic bushing with the metal one.

The one that completely replaces the cover interests me. Gear oil leaks out on the current setup and drips down onto the exhaust. Very stinky. I think this is pretty common. I wonder if the new cover would prevent the leakage.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

are you speaking of the small rubber boot cover?? I when to superior nissan (la puente, ca) they were $3 each. I picked up 6 since i don't know when they will be discontinued. and like you said it stinks when it leaks. the shifter kit that replaces the top cover includes a gasket i think. or some liquid gasket would work best. i would assume you replaced the trans mount already. have you checked to see if it has torn at all?? I know the 'drift' oriented companies offer all sort of bushing upgrades. such as RS-R makes a complete bushing kit that i believe is harder then the energy suspension kit.

www.phase2motortrends.com send them an e-mail or call them. they would be able to help you out with more questions on the shifter.

I currently have the kit that has the metal collars with the square cover. I used some liquid gasket, but either I missed a spot or it just doesn't seal well. I'll check the trans mounts. You can only use stock mounts in IT so if they're busted I'll have to go with stock.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

SWEET!
    I didn't even know some of that stuff existed for our cars!

The problem could also be in the shifter lever itself.

The lever is two pieces that don't come apart (or at least aren't meant to). And the two pieces are seperated by a big thick "bushing" of rubber (its where the shift lever gets real wide). I found it makes things very sloppy that way, as you can get quite a bit of deflection between the two pieces.

If only we were allowed to run replacement shifters. Short shift kits with MUCH more accurate throws are a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing trans....

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX