Thread: 240sx spring rates

i'm coming from the world of honda where 14kg/mm rates in the rear are common, and the rear is way stiffer than the front.

i see a lot of coilovers and their owners running 8/6k or 10/8k. would this be a good setup to account for the rwd? or do people just like understeer?

anyone have a suggestion or wouldn't mind revealing their spring rates?

Not up for doing the conversion right now, but I can tell you that most guys racing the 240 are running between 450 - 550 lbs front and 250 - 350 lbs rear springs. Those rates pretty much put the car in the 'zone' where you can fine tune the suspension with shocks, camber, pressures, etc to get the car to behave the way you want it to.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

For anyone who cares...
    conversion is divide lbs/in by 55.88 to get kg/mm
    My setup is in the above-stated range at
    front: 450 lbs/in = 8.05 kg/mm
    rear: 350 lbs/in = 6.26 kg/mm
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what were doing!
    ITA 240SX #76

I recently went from 375f/250r to 600f/375r and love the way my car feels. I did have to get away from the yellows and go to a full race koni.
    I also had to fabricate new strut housings to hold the universal inserts.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

i see a lot of coilovers and their owners running 8/6k or 10/8k. would this be a good setup to account for the rwd? or do people just like understeer?
    [/b]
    Mine are around the 8k/6k range. And yeah, the softer rear lets you put the power down, as well as accomodating the slightly different wheel rates (vs spring rates).

I dunno what kind of wheel vs spring rate the Honda has as a comparison.

As for understeering - easily tuned with bar and/or shock. And with these rates, the car is quite neutral to even a hair of oversteer in faster turns. (slower turns, my car does tend to push a bit on entry).

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

On my street car I run 12kg/10kg setup. You would think its super stiff. But its megan racing stuff. so the valving is atrocious. I have apex'i N1 type Pros on the track car rated to 10/8 and the valving is such an improvement much better bound characteristics.

I wish I had access to a shock dyno

On my street car I run 12kg/10kg setup. You would think its super stiff. But its megan racing stuff. so the valving is atrocious. I have apex'i N1 type Pros on the track car rated to 10/8 and the valving is such an improvement much better bound characteristics.

I wish I had access to a shock dyno
    [/b]
    On what kind of car are these setups?
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

89 sohc ka 240sx hatch.