Thread: Has anyone done any NASA events?

Has anyone done any NASA events?
    and what class would the ITA cars run in?
    O.B.
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com

I've never run a Nasa event as there's not too much in the midwest (growing though).

Most IT cars will fit into their "PT" (performance touring) class, but they offer a spec series for Focus, Neon, Miata, 944, and maybe more.

Even if there was Nasa events at my home track, I probably wouldn't get involved. Their points based system is a little eccentric for my taste.

Read through their PT rules and imagine trying to create the formula for choosing and building a winning car... there are just too many differant directions to take!

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Perform...uring-Rules.pdf
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Most of the IT cars run NASA Performance Touring (PT). Some IT cars may run a spec series but there is no Spec Saturn. There is no direct ITA to ABC or ITS to XYZ, etc. NASA uses a point system, check out more at http://performancetouring.com/ You can use the point classification form in the rules area to find where you fall. Unfortunately the forums there are all but dead. I run ITS for example and fell in PTC, with some work I got to PTD. I like NASA in TX as our SCCA regional program is weak, I can't speak for other areas of the country. I am currently doing both NASA and SCCA with no changes between organizations other than some racers tape over the others decal for the weekend.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I just sent in my competition license information to run some NASA events next year in Super Unlimited at Pocono to see what that club's all about.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

How competitive would a ITB car in PT ?
    I would run some NASA races if I thought I could WIN !!!
    Or do they have a points system and calculate the winer at the end ? if so that would take the head to head racing fun out of it....
    Bill Johnson

How competitive would a ITB car in PT ?
    I would run some NASA races if I thought I could WIN !!!
    Or do they have a points system and calculate the winer at the end ? if so that would take the head to head racing fun out of it....
    [/b]
    ITB is likely PTF or PTE; if its F, you can win. If its E, you likely will be in trouble. an almost fully prepped SM can run E, as can alomst fully prepped ITA cars.

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

I would suggest you try GTS1. A good competitive B car should do well. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Looking at there chart, my 87 VW Jetta ITB car with 1.8 8v would be a PTF car at 2305lbs.
    Is that right ? and if so what are the classes like in PTF ?

I love SCCA racing but I need more...........and I don't think the SCCA would care if I beat-up on some NASA guys from time to time........lol
    Bill Johnson

I love the SCCA but I like the idea of just being able to race on Sunday only.
    Since I have to work weekends but I do get every other Sunday off.
    O.B.
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com

The PT points can be really wacky. I had to run 205s (rather than typical 225s) to barely keep my ITB Golf III in PTE. It would have gone in PTD otherwise. If a person really wanted to optimize a car for that system, they could build a killer but an ITB car is going to be at a pretty major disadvantage on paper.

NASA regions vary a LOT in terms of organization, event quality, etc. I think MidAtlantic region is pretty OK, although there is room for fair criticism of some aspects of their events. I don't have any experience with NASA SE.

K