View Poll Results: Pro course or no pro course?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • pro course

20 54.05%
  • no pro course

17 45.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track configuration 2008

OK time to vote. Give us non CRX's a shot in ITA.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

What's "Pro" and "Club"? Is "Club" the one we ran in '07?

What's "Pro" and "Club"? Is "Club" the one we ran in '07?
    [/b]
    Yes, Club has the chicane going into the keyhole.
    Pro has no chicane - what they used for NASA Nationals.

How about we just run the oval NASCAR style up in the keyhole area?
    Heaviest car wins.....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

I won't be there, but I have raced in both configurations (with the same car), and I think the Pro course is much better racing, just because it adds one passing zone. It makes turn 1 way more important (and I like turn 1!)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Don't we already have one championship caliber event at a track that rewards power over handleing? Or can we add the chicane to the backstraight at Road Atlanta?

+1 for keeping the chicane, as the racing Gods intended.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Disagree strongly. We are there to race, and racing means racecraft. Setting people up for passes. Gotta have places to pass...

On many occasions I got a great run out of 1 and was 1/3 beside a guy and gaining going into the chicane. And had to back out. And I'd get the same run through the keyhole, but the following straightt was longer, so, in the end, no pass.

Then I'd be stuck on the bumper for the rest of the lap, not getting quite far enough alongside to make a move.

So, to me, we are there to race, and rewarding a great corner exit from a bit of a hang on and hope corner is important.

Adding that passing zone is important for cars that can't pass slower cars due to power deficiencies.

Pro course, please!!!!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I don't care either way!

If you actually know that track well, on the Pro Course you just hang to the RH side all the way until Turn 2 (I should know, I suck at Turn 1!!). Even if you get a run on me, you'll be on the far LH side of the track, I'll go deep in braking and stay to the RH side and absolutely kill your run onto the back straight, while I use the banking on the inside of Keyhole to blast out of the corner and beat you to Turn 5!

I personally think running the Club Course is more fun because it adds another dimension to the track, but either way! We run Pro Course for NASA and some people seem to really like it better, some don't...

[EDIT] It really helps to open a Passing Zone for when you are going through lapped traffic, not so much for racing against equal competition, IMO
    --------------------------------------------------
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

Disagree strongly. We are there to race, and racing means racecraft. Setting people up for passes. Gotta have places to pass...

On many occasions I got a great run out of 1 and was 1/3 beside a guy and gaining going into the chicane. And had to back out. And I'd get the same run through the keyhole, but the following straightt was longer, so, in the end, no pass.

Then I'd be stuck on the bumper for the rest of the lap, not getting quite far enough alongside to make a move.

So, to me, we are there to race, and rewarding a great corner exit from a bit of a hang on and hope corner is important.

Adding that passing zone is important for cars that can't pass slower cars due to power deficiencies.

Pro course, please!!!!
    [/b]
    I agree with Jake. Yeah really. Yes that config does help my car being that at the NASA nats I was only 1 sec off of the front running H4 cars and at IT fest i was more like 3 sec off. Could have been my driving could have been weather could have been car setup, what ever. I honestly think it would be much better racing having a ten car pack running at the front instead of having a few cars break away. IMO
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

I agree with Jake. Yeah really. Yes that config does help my car being that at the NASA nats I was only 1 sec off of the front running H4 cars and at IT fest i was more like 3 sec off. Could have been my driving could have been weather could have been car setup, what ever. I honestly think it would be much better racing having a ten car pack running at the front instead of having a few cars break away. IMO
    [/b]
    I would love to have a 10 car train! We had 5 at the NASA Nationals and probably had the closest, best racing I've ever seen

Just remember though Joe, we were on Toyo's! I hate those g damn tires! That being said, I'm sure it does help you to some degree, being that the Nissan doesn't turn as well as the Hondas and going straight just takes motor, which the Nissans definitely are not short on! Either way, that race was a lot of fun, and I'm real excited for the ARRC - even if we lose every advantage we had at Mid-O
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

I would love to have a 10 car train! We had 5 at the NASA Nationals and probably had the closest, best racing I've ever seen

Just remember though Joe, we were on Toyo's! I hate those g damn tires! That being said, I'm sure it does help you to some degree, being that the Nissan doesn't turn as well as the Hondas and going straight just takes motor, which the Nissans definitely are not short on! Either way, that race was a lot of fun, and I'm real excited for the ARRC - even if we lose every advantage we had at Mid-O
    [/b]
    How much faster do you think you could go on Hoosiers? You do have to add weight to the car for IT right? It may even out quite nicely.

I can't wait for the ARRC myself. We are going to finally dyno my car after 2 seasons on the engine. Maybe more ponies.

If you drive at the ARRC like you did at IT FEST I wouldn't worry to much about losing advantages you'll find others.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

How much faster do you think you could go on Hoosiers? You do have to add weight to the car for IT right? It may even out quite nicely.
    [/b]
    Actually, you're probably right... We have to add 100 lbs. to run ITA, forgot about that! I think we probably could have gained maybe 0.5 seconds on Hoosiers with the extra weight, our cars just won't turn on the Toyo's... Whatever the case, you were definitely going faster at Nationals, probably just the result of more track time there! I have a feeling that you and Greg are going to be hard to beat this year at the ARRC, and I expect a lot more out of the Miatas this year too, and the Integras really come to life there, so it's really anyone's game at this point...

Sorry to hijack this thread! I'm done now...

I vote for either config at Mid-O for the IT Fest!
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

I have a feeling that you and Greg are going to be hard to beat this year at the ARRC, and I expect a lot more out of the Miatas this year too, and the Integras really come to life there, so it's really anyone's game at this point...

Sorry to hijack this thread! I'm done now...

I vote for either config at Mid-O for the IT Fest! [/b]
    Boy, I love the sound of a class where the track is as important as the car in determining the outcome. That tells me the class is about as well balanced, in the big picture, as you're going to get in a club racing class with dozens of models listed.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Some things to think about........... for the last 5 years, I have worked as a Course Marshall for every Pro race and Runoffs at Mid Ohio. I was either on a wrecker or on a rope tow.

Now, that being said, think of the number of sessions this past year that were either black flagged or run under a double yellow with safety car because of a car in the trap in the keyhole. Were there any? I don't know.

Now, consider the number of times I can remember being under a black flag or double yellow during a Pro race where the Pro course is being used. Safety considers a car in the trap in the Keyhole a FAR greater risk on the Pro course because of the closing speeds without the chicane and automatically goes double yellow or black when a car is in that trap. From experience, it takes 3 to 4 laps to dispatch a vehicle, pull the race car, clear the track of debris from the pulled race car, and then get everyone safe.

Just something to consider.......who wants their race to turn into a parade?

Me, I really don't care, I'm just happy to be there.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

I haven't decided.

I really liked the chicane. It was very challenging and fast = fun

However, I do see the positives of opening up another passing zone, even if it is just for lapped traffic (I struggled with that) like Joe said. Plus, I have one of those cars that doesn't turn well, but brakes really, really well!!

How about one configuration one day and the other the next?? Hmmmm, that would be tough having to go out for a race on a configuration that you haven't practiced or qualified on.........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Cut out the best corner?!?! You know there is still that tight corner there even on the pro course.
    Ian

I really love the chicane! However, being that I drive a car that can't turn to save it's life, I voted for pro course!. Joe Moser, My car works equally well with all four in the grass so I'll just go down the inside of you on the inside. :P From what I've seen Crazy Joe's car works well in the grass as well!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I really liked driving Mid Ohio, but wish there were more good passing areas. Using the Pro course would create one more area for passing.

How about one configuration one day and the other the next?? Hmmmm, that would be tough having to go out for a race on a configuration that you haven't practiced or qualified on.........[/b]
    Yeah, that would be tough especially for people who have never driven the course at all prior to attending the event.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I really love the chicane! However, being that I drive a car that can't turn to save it's life, I voted for pro course!. Joe Moser, My car works equally well with all four in the grass so I'll just go down the inside of you on the inside. :P From what I've seen Crazy Joe's car works well in the grass as well! [/b]
    And when you leave the grass you've got 8 tires to get you turned.

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I was going to wait till after the ARRC to start looking for input for next years race but you've beat me to it.

How did the guys at the NASA nationals handle the "pro course"?

Was there a lot of local and full course yellows because of incidents in the keyhole?

If we do go with the "pro course" I would say it would be used for the entire weekend including the test groups on Friday.

Todd

I think it would be fun to somehow incourperate both courses...

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com