Thread: Driver's School Attendance

I think there were about 50 cars at my first driver's school in March at SP. I remember a few people commenting that there were usually more cars than that for a spring school. Well with 3 weeks to go, there are 16 cars currently entered for the fall school.

What does this say about the future of the sport? Isn't it going to be hard to get any "racing" experience in a run group with 3 cars? I know more will sign up, but I don't remember the attendance changing dramatically the last few weeks for my first school.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

I have been working hard all summer building my ITA car. The car is a harness mounting and some paint from begin track ready. My goal was to make the WG school this month. But, after sitting back a moment, I will wait till the spring for the school. I thought there would be a big build up for me (at least in my head) to the school, participate, then sit and wait till the spring to put my new skills to use - as well as the tires and other consumables that will need to sit all winter. Perhaps the same train of thought for others causing a lower attendance?

Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Personally I'd rather have a small car count for a school. After all, schools are for getting a liscense and learning how to drive at speed. When I went (many many many years ago, many years ago), my instructor told us that the guys who usually are fast early, are the slowest at the end of school. So, I buckled down and consentraited on the enties and exits etc. Why destroy my car at a school? I won my class, ITC and finished third over all in a forty car field in the five lap race late on the last day. But it was the only race of the weekend. The rest were "sessions'. Smaller car counts can mean more seat time and more personal instruction. The only loss may be learning to race in traffic. This is only my opinion, but I think going to school is just that. Learn my car, track and my abilities so I can race. This may be a little off the op's thread.

I will wait till the spring for the school. I thought there would be a big build up for me (at least in my head) to the school, participate, then sit and wait till the spring to put my new skills to use - as well as the tires and other consumables that will need to sit all winter. Perhaps the same train of thought for others causing a lower attendance?

[/b]
    I'm not sure of the format of the WGI school and how many new drivers get signed of usually, but even at the very intense NHIS school in the spring, not everyone gets signed off. It would suck going in thinking your going to get your license only to have to wait until the LRP school to get your license. If you can make it happen, try to get to the WGI school.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It would suck going in thinking your going to get your license only to have to wait until the LRP school to get your license.[/b]
    Bingo.

Schools are about TIME, plain and simple. Build time, build experience. However, the two-day NHIS school is an exception, in that we're a lot more selective as to whom we signoff after that one weekend, because we're stretching the rules a bit.

If you have aspirations on racing in '07, you owe it to yourself to go to WGI and complete that day (for, if nothing else, to drive an absolutely wonderful track...)