Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Blethen III (Sr.)

Hello all...

We had a bit of a wake up call last night... and I know many people would want to know... this is probably the easiest way to get the word out.

As many may or may not know my dad is getting maried to a wonderfull woman (JoAnne) in a couple weeks whom many of you probably know as she is always at the track supporting and helping out dad as well as us .

Anyway last night we had a Bachelor party for him... It was a 100 Lap endurance race on gocarts where 2 person teams went up against him runnng the entire race on his own. He made it half way and pulled off not feeling well. He said he was fine and watched with everyone for the remander of the race. We then all went off to the 2nd stop of the night and when he still didn't feel better he made the decission and we took him to the Hospital.

It ended up being a Heart Attack. One of his arteries was 99% blocked so they put in a stint. He is recovering well and we hope he will get to go home on Monday. He wont be able to make it to the Glen next weekend so his season has been ended early. I am sure he would love to hear from all those in IT land, to get his hopes up on next season running the Porche in ITS, so post something (he reads IT.com every day - although not while at the hospital), you can also send him an e-mail or give him a call!!!

Raymond "You can never be to carefull, take care of yourself and always see the doctor if you don't feel right" Blethen

PS: Hope all had fun at the NARRC, sorry I wasn't able to see the races, we will all be their next year
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

WOW! Good luck Sr!!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'm sooooooo glad it was caught early !!!! Thank God. Your Dad rocks !!! All our best.....

Kim & Phil
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Jesus Ray, don’t you know bachelor parties and go carts are much more dangerous that race weekends.

Good timing though in dealing with this now at the end of the season so you only miss one race weekend.

We will need to however get a ruling as to whether a stent is a legal modification in IT.

Get well fast.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Ray, You do what the Docs tell you best wishes for a speedy and full recovery and glad you did the right thing going to hospital. The Weaver crew. Bill,Tom, Ann, Lisa, & Gaby
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

We will need to however get a ruling as to whether a stent is a legal modification in IT.[/b]
    Gee Dick, pluming lines are almost universally open, so I'm sure that's not a problem.

Ray, I was hoping to meet you at the IT Spectacular. Heal fast and I'll see you next year.

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Ray Sr - You gotta watch out for the Karts with those F-1 equivalant "G-Forces" - they will get you every time.

Get well soon, so you can take that all important Czechered Flag when you say "I DO".

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

I hope for a speedy and long lasting recovery. The same thing happened to my father almost 2 years ago during Christmas Dinner. Since then he has gone into an extreme fitness mode losing some 40 lbs. and his cholesterol is down to 112. That's so low I swear he creakes when he walks.

Get well soon!

Tom Sprecher

Ray IV: Pretty sleazey way to win a race!!

Ray III: Jeebus, my heart leaped into my throat, kind of like diving into that pit, turn 9 ? at Bryar. Get better quick, go slow and easy on your wedding night (that's the best way anyway!! , and get your butt back in the seat next year and show these kids in ITS how it's done.

One of two still racing members of the "Green Mountain Boys",
    Ed "The older I get, the faster I was" Funk
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

A word to Ray III, My father had the full blown open heart in 2004, in November we will be running the 13 hour together in our ITB Mustang. It slowed him down for a year. Since then he has been a demon on the track and purchased a Porsche GT-3 as his daily driver. He is not going to let a day go by with out living it up in a car, with my mom, and his 10 grandchildren.

Get back to the track soon

Ron Sattele Jr.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

Very sorry to hear about Ray SR. glad to hear that they caught it and were able to put the stent (sp?)in.

I notice that you didn't mention what the 2nd stop of the night was......... could that have been too much excitement for the old guy?

Matt Bal

I don't care how scary turn 1 at Bridgehampton was, things like this are worse. Words don't even begin to describe.

Hope for a speedy recovery & glad to know it got caught when it did.

I am surprised however, I was expecting the post to read that the wedding was going to be postponed until better health allowed, but next week at the glen was still on.

Matt

Ray Sr.

Best wishes from my wife Kim and I towards a speedy recovery.

We will be looking for your lap times around the cardiac unit on MyLaps. Make sure your transponder is working correctly.

Dave & Kim Austin
    Team Jagermeister
    Team Jagermeister
    '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10 - ITB NESCCA Enduro Champions

Ray Sr - hoping you have a fast recovery and continued good health. Please keep us posted on your progress! We know you'll be good as new for next season! Also, congrats on your impending wedding! Take good care of yourself (we're sure your new bride will!!!)!

Robert (Smarty) and Joanie

Bob Smart
    Northeast Racing Tires
    www.northeastracingtires.com
    518-622-0329

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

It's been a lucky year; first John Travers at the July 4 Regional and now this-it's wonderful to hear that they've already caught it and fixed it. Hope for a full and fast recovery!
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Glad to hear you went to the hospital to get everything checked out. Pretty scary stuff. Get well quickly - I'll need plenty of your help trying to beat up on Ray Jr. and Steven when ITS & ITB are mixed together.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Ray Sr.
    Best wishes and get well soon!
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

Get well soon, Dad. We need you around to keep those boys in line--like that's possible.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Ray Sr. (& Jr.) Great call - nice catch. Had a scare myself a couple of years ago, chest and arm pains. Had my wife take me to the hospital. Everything they did to me made me feel worse! Took x-rays, ran me on a treadmill, pumped me up with stuff that came in double lead lined containers (glowed in the dark for a week!) and they found nothing - almost wish they had, just to make the pain worth while. Doctors could find no trace of anything.

But even with all that, I would still hit the hospital if they ever come back. I also survived a bout with cancer that would not have been caught if I didn't break down and go in for a checkup. Hadn't been sick in 50 years before that!

But glad to here you're getting better. Just remember to follow all the doctors' orders and leave the rest to our other Father.

Good luck! Hope to see you at MO in August.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Ray, I just had to add my 2 cents worth. I am so happy you are recovering so well. You are certainly a good friend to Bob and I, a fantastic racer, and the fantastic father of those two "devils" we call our sons. Bob and I wish you a speedy recovery and most of all, all the happiness that life can give you. God bless and best wishes.

Bob and Trish
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......