Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I.T.SPEC*tacular 2008

Why mess with a great thing? When I attend the IT Fest or the ARRC, my concentration is on that event. I kinda understand the value and attraction it has when run as a series. I personally would not be in favor of adding a Pro IT race to this weekend. The Cincy region has an awesome weekend - three races and tons of track time!!! I just don't see why adding this additional seperate race with a different title (and additional entry fees, chances to damage your car, wear on tires) would further improve upon the weekend. IF it means changing the existing weekend format, just be aware that is exactly what it would do and may impact peoples overall reaction towards attending the event.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Dan,

My thinking is if we were to do such a thing for the third race then everyone would have to pay. I would prefer it being an extra race if it were to happen and I'm not sure we could pull it off this year with the schedule as tight as it is. Plus it would be nice to have it connected in some way with a series. Butch and I have been bouncing the triple crown concept back and forth and feel it has real potential. Wanna be the primary sponsor?

Todd
    Todd this was a suggestion for down the road, like 2009. I'm trying to think ahead especially for drawing some money sponsors. Remember nasa is promoting itself as pro racing and they are cashing in on some big money sponsors and drawing away from the racing base including IT! The question may be down the road, why am I racing for nothing when I could get something from nasa. SCCA and the regions better wake the hell up. Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Your event will be a good one don't get me wrong but you better start thinking for the future. With all fo the track time you will get it would be another way to rake in some more $. Just like ProIT at ARRC it's up to the entrants if they want to run it or not. If your afraid you might damage your car, then don't run. If your afraid to wear out tires, don't run the ProIT and cut you qualifying down since 30 minutes is a long time. Everyone has their choices. NJ region is steping up to the plate with ProIT. Just keep an eye on the series and an open mind for the future of IT racing.

BTW if "Jones Plastering, Inc." could, I would sponsor the event, but I'm luckey enough just to be able to race.

as far as i know, nasa has dropped the "pro" off their stickers, etc.

and after two years of nasa "pro" and going to the nationals and finishing on the podium, i have zilch from being "pro"

i am back to IT only this next year since Kumho "amateur" is better than "pro" Toyo contingincies.

even the nasa forums want to know what the "pro" means and many think it means that they are "pro" racing as in "for" or supporting racing.

but if ProIT came to mid-ohio, i might wonder down. but i am with dave, i would rather it not be part of this event unless it is needed to fill the fields. and i don't think that will be necessary.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Dan,

A Pro I.T. race doesn't really fit what we are trying to accomplish with the creation of the I.T.SPEC*tacular. The whole idea was to emulate the June Sprints but on a regional level.

A triple crown featuring the I.T.SPEC*tacular, the ARRC and the individual division championships would be a points based series at the regional level.

Todd
    Last edited by TAC; 02-08-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Dan,

A Pro I.T. race doesn't really fit what we are trying to accomplish with the creation of the I.T.SPEC*tacular. The whole idea was to emulate the June Sprints but on a regional level.

Todd
    and I think you are well on your way.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    and I think you are well on your way.
    thanks for the thumbs up Dick.

why am I racing for nothing when I could get something from nasa.
    Because I love racing, enjoy the people I race with, and do this for fun. I won't knock Pro IT as it is a great idea in certain areas. I don't think it needs to compete against standard regional races. Entry fees are higher than a standard regional - don't we always whine that entry fees are already too high? For this event, should the region take away existing track time to have a different lable on one of the races and charge participants another entry fee? (Last year's entry fee was quite reasonable.) If you do well in a Pro IT event, then yes, you'll get some money back. But what about all of the other racers?

Last year this event was absolutely fantastic!!! IF I had walked away with a $800 prize for winning something, that's not what I'd remember nor what would draw me back again this year. Todd, just keep doing what you & the region is doing and continue to build on a great thing.

SCCA and the regions better wake the hell up. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
    I think too many people are hung up on this whole lead / follow NASA notion. Listen, between SCCA AND NASA, we're only talking 65,000 participants in the entire country. While both organizations need to be aware of what each other is doing, I do not believe their primary focus should be trying to lure each other competitors away from one another. And nothing says that SCCA and NASA can't have their own niches.
    Last edited by gran racing; 02-08-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dan,

A triple crown featuring the I.T.SPEC*tacular, the ARRC and the individual division championships would be a points based series at the regional level.

Todd
    Todd, I do agree that the Triple Crown is a great idea and that you and Butch can make it work. I will be more than happy to race at your events and I'll have a great time but as a business person it's also making enough to support racing in the future. SCCA regions are like small companies and such must be treated as such. There are a lot of advertising mony out there but they want exposure. It's up to you to come up with ways to make them want to sponsor or support your efforts. Think outside the box my friend. Just keep an eye out for what NJ Region does with ProIT and maybe it can be incorporated down the road if feasable.

I do want to applaud your hard work for the Mid O event. I will do everything I can to make it this year.

Well, go try NASA then.
    Maybe you'll like it. Many people go right back to SCCA.

And Atlanta Region has done ProIT races for years with nice payouts for doing well. Guess what??? Entries keep steadily dropping every year.
    Why?
    I dunno. But my guess is that most of us aren't actually in it for the money, and instead concentrate on the "big" races (ARRC, NERRC, and the one in this forum) and regional points chases. I personally will be at the ARRC this year, but I doubt I'll bother with the ProIT unless I just need some extra seat time.
    <shrug>

Don't think NASA is going to take over the world. There really isn't that much money to be had there over what you can score with an SCCA contingency, and there are plenty of things SCCA does MUCH better than NASA. Safety is one of those things.
    And don't think all amateur racers will flock to follow the promise of a few hundred bucks in prize money here and there. That isn't true either.

Just sayin'.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

The original message has been posted under general discussions but I thought I'd throw it onto this thread as well.

Todd

Todd has mentioned it in other threads, but he & I have been working a program that recognizes the best drivers in a combination of one's divisional series, the I.T.SPEC*tacular, and the ARRC by GRM. Unlike the National Triple Crown (divisional champion, June Sprints, Runoffs) you won't need to win every leg, so a "champion" would be declared in every nationally-recognized IT class.

Since the SARRC series has already begun and many/most people have already established their plans for 2008, we're looking at starting the program for the 2009 racing season. We've been working on a set of rules that we're almost ready to send out for public comment, but before we do that we want to establish a "Triple Crown Advisory Committee" to review what we've done. We're looking for one person from each SCCA division that (1) is part of the IT community, (2) wants to help build IT participation, and (3) is capable of putting aside personal agendas to help do that. We're not skeered of "enthusiastic" voices (in fact we encourage them), but we DO need people that can work in a team environment. Therefore:

If you're interested in being part of the IT Triple Crown Advisory Committee, either respond in this thread or send me (or Todd) a PM stating your interest and qualifications. We're not talking a ton of work - less than ten hours as we establish the rules then maybe a few hours in your division promoting the program and answering questions from those you normally come into contact with (figuratively, not literally). We'd like to keep things going, so if you ARE interested (or know someone you think would be a good representative) let me/us know by March 15, 2008.

We're also looking for sponsors as well, so if you're interested in THAT aspect let us know, too. And no, there's no time limit on that! :cool:

See ya...

Just wanted to mention that the picture section of the 2007 winners is a phenominal touch. It adds some class. Love it!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Oh good lord, the bio page is currently made up of 5 drunkin bozos....
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

What’s that about? We have a lot more drunken Bozos than that.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the picture section of the 2007 winners is a phenominal touch. It adds some class. Love it!
    Thanks for the compliment I'll pass it on to the webmaster. BTW, we have 15 driver bio's already, the webmaster just needs to get them up.

Todd

Matt the Webmaster has plenty more. He's just running behind on posting them.

PRE-Entries

ITB....3

ITA....5

IT7....1

SM....2 ( including Flatout Motorsports main man Andy B.)

CFC....4

CF.....1

BTW, Tom Fowler with OPM autosports posted on Specmiata.com and plans to bring an even larger group of cars this year.

Matt the Webmaster has plenty more. He's just running behind on posting them.

PRE-Entries

ITB....3

ITA....5

IT7....1

SM....2 ( including Flatout Motorsports main man Andy B.)

CFC....4

CF.....1

BTW, Tom Fowler with OPM autosports posted on Specmiata.com and plans to bring an even larger group of cars this year.
    I will be an ITA entrant...but we will be bringing 4-5 SM's.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Pre entries?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I will be an ITA entrant...but we will be bringing 4-5 SM's.
    Dude, there I was thinking you were really bright...entering two cars for more track time....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Pre entries?
    Does this mean drivers who sent in a bio? I don't see any mention of pre-entry on the web page.

I mean I will enter as soon as I can to nail down a number...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

yeah, pre-entry may be a bit much. How about drivers intending on coming.

Todd