Thread: Custom Light 15X7 wheels -- where to buy?

I've been trying to convert my car from stock 13"s to 15"s (mostly to get more space for brake ducting) for about 9 months now with no luck. I ordered some sweet 9 lb CE28 Volks from some jokers at Wheels AutoHaus back in JANUARY and put down a $900 deposit on 4. Smart.

After being told 90 days for delivery, the problems started. First "Jimmy" left Volk in Japan and he did the CE28s. This held things up...they said. Then it was delay, delay, delay, followed by "they're here! we'll ship in a few days." This was a complete lie. They are not here, and Wheels Autohaus is now offering to (or least claiming they will) to cancel the order and refund my money.

Leaving me with no wheels (and probably no $900). F#$%ers. In any event, my problem with Tire Rack and the usual sources is that I have an odd bolt patter 4X 3 and 3/4 I believe, and offset (I think 28 mm). Have to get custom wheels.

Car is just on the verge of being VERY competitive and I am looking for the lightest possible wheels and willing to pay for them. Any suggestions on someone reputable who can sell me custom 8 to 10 lb 15X7 forged wheels?

Thanks.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Did you contact Kodiak?

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/wheels.html

I think they'll do whatever you want, in terms of offset and bolt pattern. Brace yourself, they are a *bit* expensive.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

The Team Dynamics folks seem pretty willing to custom make you some rims. And they're based in the UK so they may even know about Triumphs. It'll take a few months to get them in, but it's going to be that way with any custom wheels. I use a +15 offset on my car and it was impossible to find that in a common wheel. I ordered a set from Team Dynamics and am happy with them. They aren't as light as Volks, however. Mine weigh about 13 lbs each. They are definitely much cheaper, though. PM me if you want more info.

If you still want some Volks. This guy - www.forperformance.com - was the best place I found. He was willing to work with you on price (i.e. match it if you found it cheaper someplace) and could order you whatever you needed. I don't think the 15x7 Volks are 8-10 lbs, though. More like 10-11. I'll have to weigh my TE-37s if I ever have one without a tire.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Guys, thanks. Ty, that Kodiak site was right on. I was about to pay about that much anyway for the Volks, so the prices are shocking but at least I knew what was coming.

David, good to see you in Savannah....good race on your end by the way. Did you manage a top six finish in the points?

The Volks I ordered were actually forged CE28s. 8 or 9 lbs, I can't remember. Well, actually zero pounds since they never showed up.

I'll pm you about the TDs. 13 lbs would work, still a few lbs less than a 15X7 Panasport I think.

Thanks again guys.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I guess I had a decent race, if you discount the start. The start was a cluster. The green flag waved, I went, and the guy in front of me was snoozing. I went to the inside as I was going to hit him in the rear and he moved over on me. I might have been able to squeeze in between him and the wall, but decided not to try it. I eased off and went to the other side, which put me right in the path of the Neon who had a good run. He tapped me in the rear, but I pretty much caused it.

The Neon got beside me and had the inside line going through 3 and I just fell in behind him. He went a little wide out of the last corner (as did I following him), got on the rumble strips, and then his rear-end just swung out. He wasn't sure what happened (he was paddocked next to me), but he managed to escape with minimal damage. I thought for sure I was going to come back around and see him stuffed into the wall.

I then wound up at the tail of the ITS train you were in. I waited a couple laps to see what would happen and you and the other two cars at the front started to pull away. The two ITS RX-7s in front of me were slower than I was and I got one in 4 and the other at the end of the front straight. They had qualified in front of me, but I was faster than them in the race. I guess I need to qualify better to get closer to the front.

I was hoping to get up with the other ITA cars in front of me, but they wound up being too much faster than I was. So I had a pretty boring race once I got past the RX-7s. I've learned that it's more difficult to find your line when you're in a train of cars so that's something I've got to work on.

I got enough points to get 6th in the SARRC so that was good. It was good to see you as well. I was wondering where your car was on grid. I probably won't go back to Nashville next year as I've had something broken on my car both times I've been there.

You going to the ARRC? If so, I'll see you there. If not, I'll catch you next year.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Jeff I went to a local Discount tire and bought 3 sets of Enkei RPOs 15X7 (9.7 lbs) for the miata and they were about $165 as I remember. My Discount Tire guys do me right (I think they like selling race stuff.)
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"