Thread: CRX drivers! What kind of MPG are you getting?

Recently we did a very crude study of our MPG and got about 6.6mpg at gingerman raceway.

I've heard we should be getting about 10mpg.

Plugs look fine, drives fine, I wouldn't guess there to be a problem at all with the car.

Just curious...

thanks,

Bryan
    BMS at WMU

Typically we get about 9 mpg at Mid-Ohio... If I remember correctly, we were maybe a little better at Gingerman, probably about 10 mpg.

How are you measuring fuel usage? To measure ours, we empty the tank completely, fill with 5 gallons, run 10 laps, and empty the tank again to measure usage. If you have a stock tank and you are only judging by filling the tank, and then refilling after your run, I'm not sure you will get a very accurate read (from our experience)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Joe Moser
    #63 ITA Honda CRX
    Great Lakes Division
    www.MoserRacing.com

We have a non stock rectangular box and we measured a before and after.

We'll try it a few more times to see if we goofed something up in measuring,

thanks for the reply,

bryan

Wouldn't it be easier to weigh the car before and then after? I don't know exactly off the top of my head but isn't it 6.7lb/gallon?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

the problem with scales is some set-ups are not repeatable.

examples:

NASA event at Putnam: weighed the car before qualifying. qualified and raced and re-weighed the car. gained 10 pounds. better than infinite mileage since i was making gasoline.

NASA Nationals: weighed the car. ate a great meal at Sam Myer's paddock area and bought breakfast from his family's stand/trailer the next morning. lowered left rear spring perch for changing corner weights and gained 8 pounds. now i can chow it away but no way did i eat 8 pounds of food!

bathroom scale for a 5 gallon can and weigh before and after re-filling the car could work.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

2nd gen Si with 4:90 final drive 13 to 14 mpg at most tracks, 12 at nelson, We don't run our engine over 6500, If you are getting 6 mpg, either there is something wrong, or you really have a V8!

Most of my driving is at NHIS with a CRX and I get about 10 miles/gallon.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Thanks for all the replies,

I suspect our measuring technique is off. We only calculated it once. Nothing seems overly wrong with the car. idles smoothly doesn't blow black smoke at all, etc.

Next year we'll go to GMan and do a much more scientific study.

bryan