Thread: Purchased Sparco seat with old date

I just looked at my Sparco Evo 2 that I purchased from another racer and realized it has June of 01' punched on the sticker. Did I just buy a seat that I can't use?!?! I have school at Summit Point in a couple weeks and this would be a serious problem. I thought I read somewhere that FIA 8855-1999 or higher seats can't be over 5 years old. Please tell me I'm wrong!
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

they can be over 5 years old....but you have to put a seat back brace behind it after it expires.

...but you have to put a seat back brace behind it after it expires.[/b]
    Not really.

Read literally, GCR 9.4.2.J states that the seat is required to be homologated to and mounted as per the spec. But, in every other case where a date on equipment is enforced by SCCA it's specifically called out in the GCR. Not so with FIA homologated seats.

So, while technically the FIA homologation expires after 5 years, SCCA is not enforcing that. I have asked "on high", and have been told, that if the seat has an FIA 8855-1999 sticker/embroidery on it, it's legal for SCCA without a seat back brace, regardless of the date of manufacture.

Greg
    Divisional Scrutineer...

Tristan,

The momo in my personal car is 7 years old so I have a back brace. The rental doesnt have FIA and has a brace. Its really not a big issue if its installed correctly. If your going to NASA before the fall school you should be ok without the brace but you should have one installed by the Fall School. The IO port is good and easy to install. If you need a hand and have the car in your posession I can try to come down and give you a hand.

--James

Greg, Heh, my inperpitation of the rules was if it was expired it was to be treated like a non FIA seat and needed to be braced.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

How do you mount the I/O brace without drilling into the seat? If I drill holes into the fiberglass of the seat won't that reduce the integrity?
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

I just taped it and drilled the holes then used big fender washers on both sides.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires