Thread: October Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm with ScotMac on that torque number... Whoa!!!

Let me guess... would this happen to be the car that set the ITB lap record at Blackhawk Farms last fall?
    [/b]
    That's true...isn't Wheaton about an hour from Blackhawk Farms? That car didn't just set the track record. I could see a particular track record being soft. It *also* beat all but one of the ITA cars, and i believe it was a pretty strong field.

I have heard that the right cam on a duke will give about 25-30hp. So, that is about a 30% gain. 30% applied to the torque would be ~180ft-lbs.

However, i don't know if you can talk much either Gary. Aren't those Vee-Ul-Vos atleast 150 hp, w/ similar (or more) torque than a (normal duke-based...ie, NOT 190ft-lbs) Fiero, and the 142 is only 90lbs heavier?

As i said, the (normal duke-based) Fiero probably should have its weight adjusted down 70-80lbs.
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

However, i don't know if you can talk much either Gary. Aren't those Vee-Ul-Vos atleast 150 hp, w/ similar (or more) torque than a (normal duke-based...ie, NOT 190ft-lbs) Fiero, and the 142 is only 90lbs heavier? [/b]
    Now waitadang minute here! We're supposed to be talking about Fee-Air-O's, not Vee-Ul-Vo's. Anyhow, if you're referring to Volvo rwhp, you're about 25 hp optimistic, give or take a few. And no, I don't believe a 10/10th's Volvo build will even beat your 137 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels... keep in mind, they were only about 130 hp and 130 tq at the flywheel as delivered, and those numbers were produced under the older (pre-1973 or so) SAE test regimen, so they were optimistic by at least 5%. And besides, in addition to the 90 lbs, you forgot some things about the venerable ITB benchmark... like the pickup-truck rear suspension, the frontal area that's about half again that of your Fiero, the barn door aerodynamic shape, the much higher CG, the 1960's analog fuel injection computer, etc., etc. It does have better brakes and 50/50 weight distritbution is easily attainable. Equal corner weights... not so much. Why did they have to put a 35 pound battery in the extreme reaches of the LF corner????

As i said, the (normal duke-based) Fiero probably should have its weight adjusted down 70-80lbs. [/b]
    The question is... could you actually make 2470 w/driver? Legally?

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Anyhow, if you're referring to Volvo rwhp, you're about 25 hp optimistic, give or take a few. And no, I don't believe a 10/10th's Volvo build will even beat your 137 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels... keep in mind, they were only about 130 hp and 130 tq at the flywheel as delivered, ...

It does have better brakes and 50/50 weight distritbution is easily attainable. Equal corner weights... not so much. Why did they have to put a 35 pound battery in the extreme reaches of the LF corner????
    [/b]
    130 and 130...hmmm seems like more when they go by me on the straights.

You sound like me, in terms of the brakes. The only reason my car has actually *won* anything is because of the brakes. Was able to complete a twelve hour w/out replacing pads! ;-)

The question is... could you actually make 2470 w/driver? Legally?
    [/b]
    Yep, that is a valid question. I am actually about 50lbs overweight right now. But i haven't looked at the car and the rules enough to know how much more i can take off. Hopefully i take it off the rear end of the car. Someone else was talking about the polar moment of the mr2's...well they should try a Fiero. I have spun it at every track i have been to soo far. Driving it in the rain w/ slicks on is REALLY an interesting experience.
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC