Thread: KA24DE For Racing Purposes

I have had real bad luck with a shop building/replacing engines in my S14 Race Car. I need to start from scratch. I want to have a reliable KA Motor put back in the car and actually enter and finish a race. The last 3 times the engine temp spiked and the bearings got fried. Subsequent rod know followed and I am left with yet another shot motor.

I am considering a few courses of action:

1. just getting a junk motor or one removed from a car for an SR20 swap, low mileage if I can find one and try and install it myself. About $500-$1400.

2. Get a rebuilt motor from a reputable source (Top Hat or AMS Performance) feel free to make suggesstions. Since most of these motors are set for boost, I could have a "Stock" motor built, maybe add some cams. $3-4,000

3. Try and find a destroyed car with a good engine so I can fire it up and know that it works BEFORE I put it in, remove it and install it, junk the scrap or keep some spares. $1000 and up.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas, please.

I would suggest a used motor with a warranty...yes it is a race car but the warranty should be good to see if it is a good motor or not...most recyclers would check compression and give mileage.
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

You should be able to find good used KA24DE's for under $300 w/trans from people who did SR swaps.

Get on some drift boards. There was a local guy up here who was selling his motor for $50.

A motor with 120,000 miles will probably put out more power than a fresh rebuild anyway - it will be nice and loose.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

KA motors are pretty easy to come by. Just search around for the best one available. I don't think the stock motors handle getting zinged as well as a built motor so you just have to watch it.

If you're going to spend $4k for a motor you might as well drop $1-2k more and get a fully built motor. There's the usual suspects - Rebello, Sunbelt, etc. I'm sure there's somebody up in the NE that has experience with the KAs as well.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I do remember a basic upgrade was using the automatic turbo oil pump out of a 280zx or z31. that was an upgrade to a sohc motor. however i'm unsure if it cross-references to work on a dohc motor as well. I'd say fresh bearings and using 91-94 exhaust cams on the intake side (remember to clock the cam 4 teeth clockwise). Other then that a bigger oil cooler is all I can suggest.

I have an early 90's KA24DE sitting in my garage just waiting for someone to buy it. Send me a PM if you are interested. I am in Indianapolis.
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14