Here in the KC region, we do run PDX's in conjunction with our regionals. in the past, the regional has been held in july when the days are long. we typically have 6 run groups, and the PDX group is #7. the PDX guys have classroom in the morning while all the racers are going through qualifying, and get a 20 or 25 min session before lunch, and the first session after lunch. the 6 race groups run after that, and the PDX guys get the last session of the day. i think the idea is to get them back after lunch for their session, and they'll stay around and watch all the races. i think we charge like $175 total for sat and sun. we usually get around 20 entries, so it certainly helps from a financial perspective.

it's probably not possible in many other regions, but i would further suggest combining race groups in order to fit a PDX group if at all possible. imo, it's important enough that some small sacrifices are worth making in order to recruit new drivers/racers. do other divisions run single regionals? are the single regionals or nationals smaller events? pick the smaller events, run the PDX groups on sat during practice/qual, and let them run for FREE if they work the event on Sunday.

i used to do solo 1 type stuff with Midwestern Council. i did it in a street car that the bank owned. iirc, the SCCA solo 1 rules required a roll bar/cage. that just doesn't work for the majority of people interested in DE events.

i love the trans-am idea Bill. somebody work on that.

i did start a bit of a mentor program this year, and think it warrants further development next year.