Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Strategic Planning and "The Problem with IT"

Crank...But that was before we switched from Holly to Webber.
    And we want to take all 3 to a chassis dyno before next season to compare them on the rolling road.

SCCA has 2230# for the 2L and 2490# for the 2.3L

Now here is the catch....The 2L makes a little bit more hp.....Like 5-10
    (Better head & intake + it spools up faster) [/b]
    Go to a dyno that bolts to the hubs, like a dyanpak. Much better and it eliminates vaiables.

Second, SCCAs weights are not curb weights, or what the car can get down to in race trim..they are weights designed to fit the car to the class. (THat the club thinks are acheivable,) How low CAN you go? Work with me here!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

OK demoguy, let me get this straight....
    You just started this year, you bought the fastest car in the area, a car 'built for Nelson', a track record holder, built by a pro.
    You have this professional as crew.
    You have the communication system, your crew relays other driver's lap times to you (from the icard you also have) He tells you how to scrub in you new Hoosiers and he still has some 'tricks' for you.
    You've got the big-ass, diamond-plate encrusted, enclosed trailer.
    Got the canopy, got the nice 4-wheeler to cruise the paddock.
    Got the onboard video for 'self analysis'
    Seem to get into arguments with everyone you race with.
    Got out qualified by a $2500 Pinto two weeks ago, and you're handing out driving advice?!?
    Wow, that is.... just ... wow

exit speed dude!
    I'm outta here!

LOL

Well Aaron, that's all correcter, except for this.
    Seem to get into arguments with everyone you race with.[/b]
    I don't arguments with any one, including you, as a matter of fact I like you, your brother and Kyle, well I like your brother more then you and Kyle but that's just because he never hit me win I was passing him with my,
    the fastest car in the area, a car 'built for Nelson',[/b]
    ...LOL
    I'm starting to feel that you and I are developing a good relationship hear and for that I'm very grateful.

Now I know my communication skills leave a little to be desired, maybe you can help me out by telling me how you feel I'm argumentative.

http://www.mylaps.com/search/advancedSearc...p?memberlogin=1

Now don't take this the wrong way but you ran your fastest lap at 121.776 your average is about 123, at the same time my car skipped timing by one tooth, but it's fixed now isn't it...My average time is 120 to 121...and I'm very inconsistent, a lot of room for improvement, with me that is, give me time and I'll get better.
    Bill Johnson

If I've followed this correctly and done the math half right, this all adds up to 18.0 lbs per IT-prep'd flywheel horsepower. That's 146 at the flywheel for the Volvo... I'll take it! Must be something else seriously wrong here; brakes, chassis, aero?
    [/b]
    Is that a basic ITB car?.....20 lbs per hp?

Let's say a 2000 lb car has 100 hp at the crank which = 20lb/hp...is that what everybody seems to have.

In that case my car is 124hp & 2500 lbs = 20.16 (that's pretty darn close)

I mean...There is a difference between getting passed on the straight and getting smoked.

We're getting smoked by a few V-Dubs.....And it ain't exit speed.

We've had some of our best races with Volvos & BMWs.
    It's like what I imagine SRF would be like.

Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

Dave

I think the ford engine makes more power at the bottom end and the VW's don't start making power till they get to about 5500 rpm's
    If I was you I would leave the dark side and buy my VW Rabbit, I'll be at Nelson Friday afternoon and Saturday PRACTICING...if you would like to give it a try.

are you serious about the SRF because I've been looking at them for a while now, it's that or the Spec Miata.
    ITB's fun but I would like to race in the national races as well as the regional stuff.
    Bill Johnson

Is that a basic ITB car?.....20 lbs per hp?

Let's say a 2000 lb car has 100 hp at the crank which = 20lb/hp...is that what everybody seems to have.

In that case my car is 124hp & 2500 lbs = 20.16 (that's pretty darn close)

I mean...There is a difference between getting passed on the straight and getting smoked.

We're getting smoked by a few V-Dubs.....And it ain't exit speed.

We've had some of our best races with Volvos & BMWs.
    It's like what I imagine SRF would be like.
    [/b]
    Somewhere along the line, I mistakenly understood that you had an early Pinto with 124 flywheel hp. That's where the 18 lbs per hp number came from. Having re-read your posts, I now understand you to say the early car has more than 124 flywheel hp in IT prep? And the later car is 260 lbs heavier, with less hp? This despite 15% more displacement and higher compression ratio? Man, some things here are just not adding up.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Some of us can't afford to race but race anyway...

Contingency Kumho bucks are the difference between 6 & 8 races for me.

Otherwise....I'm going SRF and answer the question once and for all....

HOW GOOD AM I ACTUALLY

WTF.....$40.000.00 ITB cars???

This is entry level racing....

You can tear down my engine any time you want on Saturday eve.
    (Just put it back together by Sun am)

I'm gonna be

Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

And the later car is 260 lbs heavier, with less hp? This despite 15% more displacement and higher compression ratio? Man, some things here are just not adding up.
    [/b]
    I kid you not....
    (this is of course on account of the best hearsay I am privy to.....I have never actually owned one)
    Although...Any dedicated Pinto racer that I have heard from would insist on a 71-72

Carl Holbrook has the ITC record at Nelson and would ONLY race an early one.
    (Of course he races a Renault.....He must not be in his right mind)
    Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

Dave

I think the ford engine makes more power at the bottom end and the VW's don't start making power till they get to about 5500 rpm's

[/b]
    ON a tangent. All the crossflow 8v 1.8L VW motors I have dynoed tend to have torque peaks around 4500.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Chris

Out of curiosity, can you show me some of that dyno data of a VW 1.8 8v engines that you have...

I know my 1.8 8v pulls very well from 5500 to 6500 rpm's but your saying peak is 4500 rpm's.
    Knowing the torque curve of the average 1.8 8v would help, Maybe adjusting my gear ratio just a little would give me that last second or one and a half I need to beat the track record...
    Bill Johnson

Geez...all this talk about 18-20lb/hp (crank) ITB cars has me really thinking that i have the wrong car. My fiero was recently dyno'd at 94rwhp. That probably means around 110 crank hp (tops). At a spec-line weight of around 2550, that puts it at 23.2lb/hp. No wonder i am getting killed by the 2002's and volvos on the straights!!! I guess i should feel lucky that we don't have any v-dubs to *also* kick my a$$!!

I know this is a particular example, and not necessarily representative of all ITB Fiero's, however can someone from the ITAC please tell me if the ITB fiero was eval'd via the process. ie, is it one of the ones that they just haven't got to yet? Or does the process somehow add 3lbs/hp for a mid-engine?!!?

Sorry, i know it is way off topic.
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

OOUNT Vee have vay's of makingk them run...
    Bill Johnson