Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Joe ?????

Anyone hear how Crazy Joe did/is doing at Mid-Ohio???

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

The most I can make of MYLAPS is that he qualified 1st in PTE and then DNF'd (or limped around) in the qualifying race. He is Group J.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy Bettencourt

Joe was first on Saturday but got bounced to last the result of some contact.

Started 6th on Sunday, was making a run but was held up by a car in another class that wanted to race him. Finished 3rd.........He's NOT happy.........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Joe .... got bounced to last the result of some contact.
    [/b]
    JOE?????

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Other accounts say it was qustionable...hope to see the video so we can Monday-morning-quarterback it!!!
    Andy Bettencourt

I feel bad for him - I know his eyes were set on the big prize.

Joe - we await your enlightenment on the matter.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

[email protected]

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=658072

The winner of PTE looks to have been REAL fast. About 1.3 seconds faster than anyone elses fast lap. Tough run group...Legends, where the bottom half of the class was running the same times as Joe...then PTD leader running PTE times...and then Spec E30 all running similar times. Doesn't seem like a great grouping for a National Championship...but this is what you have to do when you try and fit this sort of event into such a short time. It's got to be tough.

Andy Bettencourt

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=658072

The winner of PTE looks to have been REAL fast. About 1.3 seconds faster than anyone elses fast lap. Tough run group...Legends, where the bottom half of the class was running the same times as Joe...then PTD leader running PTE times...and then Spec E30 all running similar times. Doesn't seem like a great grouping for a National Championship...but this is what you have to do when you try and fit this sort of event into such a short time. It's got to be tough.
    [/b]
    Yes the winner of PTE was FAST!!!!!!!!!!! It was a Honda R&D 2006 Civic SI. Legality Questionable. I left with the car being under protest from the 2nd place Scion driver (factory backed I may add) for possible ecu modifications.

So bascally my shit box took 3rd place behind a Factory Honda Car and a Factory Toyota car. Not bad huh? I really believe I would have had 2nd if it weren't for the PTD BMW that was racing me for the whole race. It was a 318i with a super charger on it. I finally managed to get by him in the last few laps and there wasn't enough time to catch back up to the Scion.

Anyhow here's the video. Me and Todd Reid in his evil sounding probe had a few good battles.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=76...908026777&hl=en
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

the PTD BMW that was racing me for the whole race. It was a 318i with a super charger on it. I finally managed to get by him in the last few laps
    [/b]

Great so you're telling me I need a supercharger to keep up to you......

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Great so you're telling me I need a supercharger to keep up to you......[/b]
    ...or, maybe you "shut up and drive" unlike some "motorists" equipped with supercharged 318i vehicles...

Yes the winner of PTE was FAST!!!!!!!!!!! It was a Honda R&D 2006 Civic SI. Legality Questionable. I left with the car being under protest from the 2nd place Scion driver (factory backed I may add) for possible ecu modifications.
    [/b]
    Joe, What exactly led you to question the legality of it?

BTW, you do know Brian was a podium driver at the Runoffs when they were at MidOhio, right?
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Great so you're telling me I need a supercharger to keep up to you......

R [/b]
    If you want to see how fast it is in a straight line, FF to about 15:50 of Joe's vid (and again at 22:50). Joe gets a run and then it rips him a new one on the back side. Handles great on the straights but slows in the corners.

Some nice words at 18:38...

A phenominal pass at 28:00, words again at 28:15...

Cleared him at 28:50 - A Fiero at 28:55!!!!

Andy Bettencourt

Joe needed a GTF out of my way sticker on his car. Man that is frustrating just to watch. I can't imagine how I would feel if it were me in the race.
    Jeremy Billiel

Joe, What exactly led you to question the legality of it?

BTW, you do know Brian was a podium driver at the Runoffs when they were at MidOhio, right?
    [/b]
    There was no doubt he is a good driver. What was making us all question the legality was this. The car starts in PTE with no points. As i was told the only power adder he had was a cat back exhaust. The handling of the car was so so.

Quick version power to weight ratio

my car 2500# roughly 150 WHP = 16.6
    Scion 2900# roughly 170-180 WHP = 16.57
    Civic 197 hp rated at the crank added cat back 2 hp ? so to the wheels it should be somewhere in the same neighbor hood as the scion 170-180 whp at about the same weight so it ends up around the same # 16.5.

Now all cars are pretty damn close so they should be pretty equal right? Wrong. I followed him in a practice session for quite a few laps. When he got by me into the keyhole I was like fine go I'll folow you. Well anyhow i had a run out of the keyhole to where i almost hit him in the rear on exit. As we got straight (mind you I got close and never lifted) he just plain ole motored away.

Now the scion was fast but no where near the honda. And they should have the same HP roughly.

I guess I will never know but when I left the track the scion driver was protesting the hondas ECU.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

Joe, I talked to Brian today. He doesn't have an account but here what he had to say and asked me to relay it.

The car was dyno'd after the protest. Nasa discussed the results with the protester, the protest was then dropped.

The car is about 15.5 lbs/hp, so yeah it should pull the Nissan on the straights but the Nissan weighs less so it should be faster in the corners. I picked the car based on the rules and did not try to class a car that was already built. The penalties for weight removal are just too high so it pays to not get bumped up a class.

Hope that helps. Don't blame him for how NASA chose to class the car.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Joe, I talked to Brian today. He doesn't have an account but here what he had to say and asked me to relay it.

The car was dyno'd after the protest. Nasa discussed the results with the protester, the protest was then dropped.

The car is about 15.5 lbs/hp, so yeah it should pull the Nissan on the straights but the Nissan weighs less so it should be faster in the corners. I picked the car based on the rules and did not try to class a car that was already built. The penalties for weight removal are just too high so it pays to not get bumped up a class.

Hope that helps. Don't blame him for how NASA chose to class the car.
    [/b]
    I am more or less upset on how NASA handled the whole weekend. It was totally different from last year. I don't know maybe it's just me. No doubt Brian drove the shit out of that heavy ass car, i can attest to that following him in a pratice session.

Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

PT is a tough egg. It is GREAT for enrty level, run-whatcha-brung or build-it-how-YOU-want-it drivers. The problem with it is that there are SO many combinations and no real path to follow for competitiveness. Joe's ITA car fits fairly well in PTE. He takes all the points and it makes it in. But you could run the following cars against him - wih springs, shocks, bars and 225mm R-compounds, provided they weigh no less than 150lbs below their curb weights:

BMW 330i: 255hp

BMW E30 M3: 189hp

BMW Z4: 215hp

Neon SRT4 ACR: 230hp (most cars dyno at 220+ whp)

Civic Si: 198hp

Miata MX-5 Turbo: 178hp

RX-7 Turbo II S5: 200hp

You could 'build' a really FAST PTE car - ain't no ITA car stands a chance. I would run the 1991 S5 Turbo II RX-7. Big power, big torque, great handling with 19 points worth of suspension mods and 225mm Hoosiers.

(Edit - this is just a small sampling of what you could run, just some I cherry picked)
    Andy Bettencourt

PT is a tough egg. It is GREAT for enrty level, run-whatcha-brung or build-it-how-YOU-want-it drivers. The problem with it is that there are SO many combinations and no real path to follow for competitiveness. Joe's ITA car fits fairly well in PTE. He takes all the points and it makes it in. But you could run the following cars against him - wih springs, shocks, bars and 225mm R-compounds, provided they weigh no less than 150lbs below their curb weights:

BMW 330i: 255hp

BMW E30 M3: 189hp

BMW Z4: 215hp

Neon SRT4 ACR: 230hp (most cars dyno at 220+ whp)

Civic Si: 198hp

Miata MX-5 Turbo: 178hp

RX-7 Turbo II S5: 200hp

You could 'build' a really FAST PTE car - ain't no ITA car stands a chance. I would run the 1991 S5 Turbo II RX-7. Big power, big torque, great handling with 19 points worth of suspension mods and 225mm Hoosiers.

(Edit - this is just a small sampling of what you could run, just some I cherry picked)
    [/b]
    Try 300 WHP! I know I have built many of them for T2. I really don't like Nasa much at all. They seem way to disorganized and flighty for me. Let's just stick with the SCCA and show them how its done! :P

Congrates Joe on being first in class!!!!!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I'm starting to feel pretty good about finishing 5th in my 117 RWHP spec miata. 19.7 lb/hp? Not very competitive in PTE.

But I accomplished my goal of getting a lot of track time in my first outing at MidOh.

Had some great battles with Todd Reid in his Probe. I'm 80% of the weight and 65% of the power, we got around the track two completely different ways but we had some dang close battles.

Hope to have some PTE video on YouTube soon. Look up SteveDsm88.

Steve D.