Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ITB MR2 – straw poll time….

If these points are generally true, then does the car belong in ITA at all?
    [/b]
    Because this is not Prod and we do not use on track performance to generate adjustments

Unrestricted ECU is a tide that floats all boats equally, so there is no need to pick on the MR2 in particular.
    [/b]
    Uh, I do not believe that to be true.

If the ITAC wants a process penalty on aftermarket ECUs, IMO it should be universally applied.
    [/b]
    Huh
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

maybe it should be dual. 2550 is alot to hike around.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Dick, nobody mentioned Prod, but it would be incorrect to think that weight (too heavy or too light) or on-track potential are not factors in classifying cars. The ITAC turned down a request this summer to classify a car because the process weight was considered too heavy for the class. Why should "too light to attain" be treated any differently? And the ITAC also turned down a car this summer because even though it met all objective criteria for the class, it was considered too powerful. So yes, on-track potential IS considered when classifying cars.

Whether you or I "believe" an aftermarket ECU helps any particular engine is immaterial. My point was that picking on the MR2 for that is inappropriate IMO. Hence, if the ITAC is concerned about the potential advantage of aftermarket ECUs, they should treat them like any other adder/subtracter in the "process".

Stan

Dick, nobody mentioned Prod, but it would be incorrect to think that weight (too heavy or too light) or on-track potential are not factors in classifying cars. The ITAC turned down a request this summer to classify a car because the process weight was considered too heavy for the class. Why should "too light to attain" be treated any differently? And the ITAC also turned down a car this summer because even though it met all objective criteria for the class, it was considered too powerful. So yes, on-track potential IS considered when classifying cars.[/b]
    Let's clarify here. Stan is coming in a little late...

On-track ACTUAL is NOT considered. On-track POTENTIAL is the goal of the Process. How it shakes out in practical application is what it is.

I don't recall car #1. I don't remember EVER thinking that a car was too heavy for a class. I think car #1 and car #2 are the same car in Stan's recollection....car #2 'looked' like it could fit in ITR, but then when run through the process, it was determined that it would need to weigh WAY more than reasonable and what people would even consider reasonable (like +300 over curb weight). The car was an ITR candidate - and would have to wait for a class above ITR - if one ever materializes. So there was no place to 'move it up' to, at a lower weight.

Whether you or I "believe" an aftermarket ECU helps any particular engine is immaterial. My point was that picking on the MR2 for that is inappropriate IMO. Hence, if the ITAC is concerned about the potential advantage of aftermarket ECUs, they should treat them like any other adder/subtracter in the "process".

Stan [/b]
    You aren't understanding the context. People are claiming that the car can't make the predicted power that allows it to be fairly classified in IT. No current claims have a programmable ECU (currently legal), so these power claims are 'soft'. When trying to prove or disprove engine outputs, we need to know a 100% effort has been made - and we have not seen that data yet in the MK1 MR2.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Stan you quoted the following two items from Jake's post:

1. MR2 is classed at 2270lbs in ITA, most cars can’t get anywhere near that weight – the best ones can get within 100lbs.

4. The majority of MR2’s are lap traffic in ITA currently.

It is the second one that we tend to not want part of a IT classing discussion. That is the kind of thing that starts a adjustment discussion in Prod. sorry if my brevity was interpreted as being flip.

Andy handled the second part.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

At this point...

15 in favor of moving to ITB at process weight. 16 if I voted.
    0 Against.

Interesting that about half the responses are from ITB drivers.
    [/b]
    Hey we like good competition as much as the next guy. If this move will pull cars that could not make ITA weight (and thus were not able to meet the specified performance envelope they were classed to) out of garages and into ITB, where they can run at their specified weight (and thus on paper will be more competitive with no other changes to prep level), then we get more cars that can contend in ITB. That sounds like fun to me.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

1. Where should the 85-89 MR2 go.

A. ITA where it is. (2270lbs)
    B. ITB at ______lbs (please fill in weight)

2. Who are you.

A. MR2 driver.
    B. ITB driver.
    C. None of the above, just want to weigh in.
    [/b]
    1 B at 2270
    2. B
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

1 B at 2270 [/b]
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I just noticed that I quoted Dick and while he runs ITA, I obviously run ITB. Do the math, class the car.

K

I am sure everyone knows my position... Dual Classification at proper weights as per the process and proper wheel sizes... It will allow more options for drivers, and it will allow the actual racers determine what class it should be in.

I am an original ITB driver not an tweener guy whom moved from A

Raymond "I have spun a few times in an MR2 also, sorry dad about the those old dents " Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Talking

Hello guys:
    While at it why not include the Corolla GTS (84-87) as well? Fun car but no longer competitive in ITA with less powerfull motor that in the MR2.

Thanks,

Efrain
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

1. b at processed weight
    2. b

I have also driven one....

Hello guys:
    While at it why not include the Corolla GTS (84-87) as well? Fun car but no longer competitive in ITA with less powerfull motor that in the MR2.

Thanks,

Efrain
    [/b]
    If the Corolla has a very hard time making process weight in ITA, then yes I could be moved to ITB at process weight.
    If however the car just does not live up to expectations of the process then the move would most likely not help it.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I say moving it to B at 2450 would be the fair way to start, then adjust weight from that point. Dual class would be great, but I really don't see that happening.

Currently driving an MR2 in ITA.

1) Move it to B at Process Weight
    2) Former Chairman of the ITAC who fought for this to happen every time it came up!
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

I would like to see the MK1 MR2 in ITB

I am one of the 10 people who drives one.

And as stated before it is impossible to make weight, my car is quite a bit over weight and I can't come up with anything else to remove.
    1985 Toyota MR2 #76 ITA SEDIV SOLD...

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S ITR work in progress...

1. ITB at process weight. No 'gimmies' until it is proven warranted.

2. S-car driver

Believe in the process and the notion that the club ought to try to bolster fields through thoughtful application of same. Most new car adds are going to be in the higher classes, let's keep B & C fields full too.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2rqEltoog yes the MR2 needs to be in B...

ITA driver
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Didn't that MR2 endup flipping over in the busstop?
    1985 Toyota MR2 #76 ITA SEDIV SOLD...

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S ITR work in progress...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2rqEltoog yes the MR2 needs to be in B...

ITA driver
    [/b]

LOL - if only to prevent traffic issues for real ITA cars. (dangerous closing speeds)

At this point, the poll sits at 24-0, all in favor of moving the poor thing to ITB. Hmm....
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com