Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Endurance Championship Series 2008

Cross-posted from the Sandbox...

This is Ryan Jenkins' new, very best picture of Pablo ever. We're currently first in class and 21st OA, just over 4 hours in.

K

...For those concerned about getting an entry - it takes several days for the event to fill and the event has yet to start the full compliment of 55 cars. If you want to run, then plan on running even if the field fills.
    [/b]
    I'm not sure how to interpret this. If the field fills, it fills. With paying renters, I can't show up being the 56th car, just assuming someone will drop out.

Ultimately, the regions need to ask if the series does anything for them. If the fields are NOT full, the answer is probably "yes," since it's another inducement for people to travel from farther away to enter. If the regions decide this is the case, then it seems like some kind of favorable entry deal should be possible. Maybe we have to register for the races at the beginning of the season, and make a real long-term commitment.

If the regions do NOT think series sanction has value, then the next question might be, "so what would it take to make it worth your time?" It might be money - like a series surcharge that guarantees the spot.

The most important thing is that nobody decide prematurely that it's not even worth talking about...

K

K-

Nice shot of Pablo!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I'm not sure how to interpret this. If the field fills, it fills. With paying renters, I can't show up being the 56th car, just assuming someone will drop out.[/b]
    Seemed clear to me...

"For those concerned about getting an entry - it takes several days for the event to fill and the event has yet to start the full compliment of 55 cars. If you want to run, then plan on running even if the field fills."

Teams don't show up or destroy their car during the test day every year. Based on history, simply being present will get you into the race - though, as in all things, there is some risk.

55 doesn't mean the field is filled. It means the Region stops accepting "entries" and begins accepting "wait listers." A full field would be 55 cars taking the green. Shoot, the Region even KNOWS ahead of time that some of these cars are not going to show - usually the weekend prior.

I fail to see how it would matter whether it is a rental car or a driver owned car. In the case of the rental, as long as those paying the freight are aware that they not an official entrant, may not actually compete in the event, and are not getting a full refund of their rental fee if they don't make the race, everyone has full information. If they sign, it's their tough luck if all 55 entrants appear. They knew the risks.

I suppose the Region could be anal and not let someone run, but I doubt it. A phone call the week prior to the event would solve that.

Sorry - the point was simpler than I gave it credit for being, I guess.

I just don't do things that way - "it's their tough luck..."

K

Seemed clear to me...

"For those concerned about getting an entry - it takes several days for the event to fill and the event has yet to start the full compliment of 55 cars. If you want to run, then plan on running even if the field fills."

Teams don't show up or destroy their car during the test day every year. Based on history, simply being present will get you into the race - though, as in all things, there is some risk.

55 doesn't mean the field is filled. It means the Region stops accepting "entries" and begins accepting "wait listers." A full field would be 55 cars taking the green. Shoot, the Region even KNOWS ahead of time that some of these cars are not going to show - usually the weekend prior.

I fail to see how it would matter whether it is a rental car or a driver owned car. In the case of the rental, as long as those paying the freight are aware that they not an official entrant, may not actually compete in the event, and are not getting a full refund of their rental fee if they don't make the race, everyone has full information. If they sign, it's their tough luck if all 55 entrants appear. They knew the risks.

I suppose the Region could be anal and not let someone run, but I doubt it. A phone call the week prior to the event would solve that.
    [/b]
    Yeah, have fun with that. Yet another stellar example of the customer-centric nature of the SCCA!

Yeah, have fun with that. Yet another stellar example of the customer-centric nature of the SCCA!
    [/b]
    NOBODY gets turned away who has an entry. The Region is limited to 50 cars on the track at one time, and as part of its customer-centric nature, applies for a 5-car-addition waiver. People who show up without an entry, knowing the event is full, should do so knowing there is a risk they will not start. It is no different for SCCA or any organization selling space for a space-constrained event. If you show up for a sold-out concert and do not have a ticket, do you consider the arena as less then customer-centric?

I'm not certain what lead you to make such an idiotic and foolish statement unless it is somehow inherent in your nature. At first I thought it was a joke, but the absence of a emoticon suggests otherwise. Clearly, someone in SCCA did not treat you with the care you expect, though probably with the care you deserve.

I just don't do things that way - "it's their tough luck..."[/b]
    If your car was totalled in the first stint, do you refund the rental fee for the rest of your drivers? If not, "it's their tough luck..." Does anyone not in the car at the time of that accident or catastrohic, race-ending engine failure need to chip in for repairs? If so, "it's their tough luck..." Heck, at least paying for the cost of getting the crew/car there is something all of the drivers caused.

Back to the point that I presonally was taking away from this....

Let's just say you've got a team from...oh, I don't know...the midwest (as in Wisconsin/Iowa/Missour "Midwest", not Ohio "Midwest"). Let's say they want to participate in the overall championship series.

Then let's say they miss out on the lottery for a slot in a given event - let's call it "SP".

What I'm taking away from this is that they should go ahead and tow halfway across the country on the hopes that a car/team has to withdraw, but knowing the whole time that there's a chance that no one crashes out or no one withdraws?

I know that "Past History" shows that the event at SP has never started its full contingent of 55 cars. My question is how extensive is that "Past History?" Are we talking 50 years, or are we talking 5 years? 10 years?

Jarrod

-----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I know that "Past History" shows that the event at SP has never started its full contingent of 55 cars. My question is how extensive is that "Past History?" Are we talking 50 years, or are we talking 5 years? 10 years?
    [/b]
    9 years in the books. 10th event will be the 2008 event.

It took several days to fill the 55 slots. I believe entries start to be accepted mid-March and 55 are filled by late March. It's a June event. Teams planning on making long tows and running the series would be advised to get their entry submitted during that window or face the possibility that they need to roll the dice.

The 55 slots have been filled nearly every year. We just don't see all 55 cars. The number of shadow entrants dropped considerably once the Region decide the entry had to be paid upfront with no refund if the slot you occupy goes unfilled.

NCR and WDC host event specific websites where unlucky teams can ask if anyone occupying a slot won't be using it. The event registration person will know too. Basicaaly, there is no reason why a team with a prepared car that did not get one of the 55 slots shouldn't be able to take the green.

Ok , calm down everyone. I'm not sure how I will do it but , I WILL make sure that for all events in the series , if you are pre-entered at the beginning of the year you'll be in the race. You may have to prepay or something like that but everyone that is in the series will have the opportunity to get in.

Roland

My 2008 schedule is starting to fill with commitments. Any idea when the ECS '08 schedule can be seen? At least a tentative schedule.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Waiting for all the SCCA regions to give me the results of the scheduling meetings . Expect a tentative schedule in Dec.
    I would expect 12 at summit , 13 at VIR and the 24 at nelson will stay the same dates. 12 at Homestead looks like it's dead.

Other races may be add, still waiting for some information.

Roland

The Twelve Hours at the Point is tentatively scheduled for June 13/14 (approx. 2wks later than last year).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I would expect 12 at summit , 13 at VIR and the 24 at nelson will stay the same dates. 12 at Homestead looks like it's dead.
    [/b]
    Tentative dates 10th Annual Kumho Tires 12 Hours at the Point - June 13th, June 14th 2008.

Qualifying tentatively a single 40-minute session.

Race start unchanged.

The KUMHO Homestead 12 hour is NOT going to happen, it may come back at some point in the future, but not this season and, probably not at Homestead, it is just to far for many competitors to tow and it is EXPENSIVE for the Region which translates to expensive to the competitors.

Although the GCR limits the cars on track to 25 per mile, 3.4.2.c gives the Divisional Executive Steward the latitude to increase that number (it also allows the E. S. to reduce the number if necessary to provide a safe racing environment), but there is no limit for that overage in the GCR, that is entirely up to the descretion of the Executive Steward, so it could be five or even seven or more if the E. S. feels it is safe, and he/she is going to rely on the Chief Steward for the event to help make that decision.

The GCR 4.7.3 mandates that entry fees be refunded if the entry is formally withdrawn (in writing or by wire) prior to the entry deadline date (usually about 2 weeks), after the deadline date, return of entry fees is at the discretion of the Region.

Not yelling at anyone, just thought it was information that might be pertinent.

Krys

The GCR 4.7.3 mandates that entry fees be refunded if the entry is formally withdrawn (in writing or by wire) prior to the entry deadline date (usually about 2 weeks), after the deadline date, return of entry fees is at the discretion of the Region.
    [/b]
    The supps can override jsut about anything in the GCR. If SCCA approves them, they become the rules. For example, SCCA can throw out the fuel rules and require people to use a specified fuel that they sell. It would make for an interesting protest/appeals process if a Region, say, allowed certain cars to run 7 inch rims in ITB or unilaterally moved, say a certain Toyota, from ITA to ITB.

In the case of the Point, for 2007, entries were accepted on March 15. If you withdrew prior to April 29, you got fee less $250 back. If you withdrew after that, you got NADA. (Which really did nothing to encourage a team to give up its slot to a team that actually could run.)

There's going to be some changes made in the withdrawal rules. For example, your entrant doesn't have to drive with permission of the chief steward - what do you do if your entrant breaks his arm prior to the getting in the car? Teams will get a refund less fee, I believe, if the slot is taken by someone else, but waitlist teams get first crack.

The key, of course, is IF SCCA approves the supps.

Krys

The key, of course, is IF SCCA approves the supps.

Krys
    [/b]
    Frankly, I think SCCA would approve supps that said...

1. We hold race.

#### end of supps ### :P

Frankly, I think SCCA would approve supps that said...

1. We hold race.

#### end of supps ###

I beg to differ. I have been a racechair for a long time. Until you put tegether a race, you have no idea what is involved. Roland found out the hard way. I have had to jump through many hoops to get supps approved. I think after dealing with me over the years, they all know me.