Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2500 HD Silverado 6.0 V8

Yours will be too new.

Couple of reports I've gotten recently:
    2004 2500HD extended cab, 6.0, 4wd - 75-80mph towing flatbed with 5000lb Econoline van on it = 10-11mpg
    Also 28 ft enclosed same fuel economy, but economy drops to 9-10 if the speed drops to 70-75 (yes, I double checked, evidently above 75 is a sweet spot that keeps the tranny humming along in overdrive and doesn't require much downshifting) Only mod is K&N intake but that had a noticeable fuel economy benefit (almost 1mpg).

Met someone at Barber this weekend who tows a 2 car open trailer with a 2000-2003 generation 2500HD extended cab and said he liked it better than the v10 he had previously but did not track fuel economy.

BTW, I've heard good things over on the gm-truck forum about some ECU tuning that helps with fuel economy.
    [/b]
    The one that I am getting is the Classic, so it shouldn't be that different? I too have seen some info on some Cals that seem to help these trucks out.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Thanks fo rthe info guys!

I have towed with the Ford V10's and they are nice.

I have a G30 Chevy van right now with a 350 TBI, and have been using it for about the last 5 years. I like vans and have had them for about 12 yrs now. It gets 12 mpg empty on the highway and 6.2 towning the beast!

The real issue right now is I can get a New 2500HD 2wd for just a little over $20,000 right now. I may need to act quickly to make it happen. The price along with it being a new truck in the same color as my trailer has me tempted. I would buy this thing and drive it for 10+ yrs. I am looking to make sure I am making the right choice for my $. My 350 has been a been sluggish all along towing my 24' trailer. The trip to Lime Rock last year nearly killed it! I want to be sure that it has enough grunt to get the job done. I plan on doing more traveling next year, Atlanta, Sebring, ect, so I want something that will not give me any crap about towing up and down grades ect.
    [/b]
    I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD 2wd crew cab that I have been towing a 20 foot Haulmark enclosed trailer with for about 4 years. Mine has the Allison automatic transmission with a towing setting, which basically raises the shift points another 500-1000 RPM's. The towing package included prewire for an electric brake controller, so I just had to buy one and hook it up. I use a load-leveling hitch with an anti-sway bar, and the truck tows like it's on rails, even when being passed by a semi. I added a Gibson catback, dual exhaust system, which frees up a little more horsepower. The truck is great to drive while towing, but it does not have the grunt of a diesel. This is only really noticable when going up grades, though. I get about 9.5 mph while towing, about 15-16 highway mph otherwise.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

FWIW I've personally towed 7500lbs with the Tundra 5.7 and it was excellent. I'd have no problem pulling that load across the country. Furthermore, it easily out accelerated any of the Diesel HD's with that same load in tow. Our crew cab model had a 10,200lb towing capacity.

Not to mention it costs much less than the HDs, brakes much better, and gets far better fuel economy of even the Diesels.

Jake
    [/b]
    Must be a Toyota salesman
    Michael Flock

I picked up the Truck Saturday. First tank of fuel with combo driving I got 12.7 MPG. I couldn't help myself but to hook up the old trailer and tow up and down a few miles of I-75. The 6.0 has plent-o-pull for a gas engine. Actually I thought it towed as well as the V10 Fords that I have used. The brakes were great for a trailer that is over 9000 lbs. Now to see what the MPG will be towing. So far I am a satisfied customer.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

I have an '04 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab 8' bed. The truck tows my 26' enclosed like a dream. Very little sway, good power, decent ride over backroads and highways. I am very satisfied with the truck for towing.
    "It's a fact..."

Got an 04 2500HD (ext cab, 2wd, w/t) on it's way to me, should be here in a week.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

What exactely is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500, or a 250 and a 350. Bigger brakes?? Different suspension?? Heavier frame?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

What exactely is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500, or a 250 and a 350. Bigger brakes?? Different suspension?? Heavier frame?
    [/b]
    Usually a combination of the above.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Towing Goodness
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

I can second the Toyota...
    If you want the best quality and value for your hard earned buck, cant beat 'em

I've owned both american and japanese, and do not see myself buying american again anytime soon.

A Tundra will also hold it's value much better. You will own it for 10 years, then look under the hood or undercarriage and it will not be leaking oil from every orifice. Everything is better.

And that toyota V-8 is silky, silky smooth.

If your towing light enough, an older tundra will work. You can get these for around 20 I think. Will last you forever.
    "Entropy sucks"

A couple of thoughts here:

1. I went from 99 2500 Suburban with gas 454 to 07 5.9 Cummins Dodge 2500 Ram. Gas mileage with Burb: 9 mpg. With Dodge: 12 towing, 18 no tow.

2. Burb was a piece of crap. Never buy a Chevy again. Have heard the newer ones are better but GM lost me as a customer. By 150k I'd spent probably $6-8k replacing stuff that should not have failed, or failed that often (intake manifold, water pump, radiator, rear a/c, dash lights, brakes EVERY 15k, etc.).

3. Burb towed fine, not as good as the Dodge, but close.

4. Difference between a 2500 and 3500 Dodge is ONLY additional leaf springs and carrying capacity. Chevy's may be different.

Your mileage may vary.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff, sorry to hear of your difficulties!

I used (and have for sale, check the classifieds) a 1992 K2500 Suburban (454, 4WD) for the last ten years with great results, so much so that I bought a '07 2500 6.0 Suburban (LT3, 4WD) three weeks ago to "upgrade."

Gas mileage was never a winner, but it still had the TH400, so I have driven it for 87K miles with NO problems.

New Burb is AWESOME! Sweet inside and out. 17.5-18 mpg @ 70 mph by itself going to the Speedway Club in Charlotte and back, no sweat. Towing? Well, that's another matter, more like 8-9 mpg. NO problems in the first 2200 miles. Tows great. LOVE the "Tow Mode."

BIG difference between the 1500 and 2500 "new" generation Burbs. Leaf spring and torsion bars instead of springs and ULA. Mine rides firm, but not jarring. Wish I could pimp it out with 20" wheels like on the 1500, but that's ok, rather spend the money on the race car.

As an aside, I know a few folks that have had bad experiences towing 24' and 26' boxes with the Tundra. Like up on a guardrail on the mountain and in the median. Everyone needs more tow vehicle than they think...
    -Peter
    www.peterkrause.net
    (919) 740-1871

Everyone needs more tow vehicle than they think...
    [/b]
    AMEN!
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Towing Goodness
    [/b]
    Fuel economy report: 04 2500HD 2WD 4.10 automatic, all stock - snug top shell
    Columbus to Effingham (340miles) - empty, cruise set at 70mph - 15.8mpg
    Effingham to Columbus - 20ft enclosed trailer (8.5 ft wide) 6000lbs, cruise at 70mph - 9.8 and 9.6mpg
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

A couple of thoughts here:

1. I went from 99 2500 Suburban with gas 454 to 07 5.9 Cummins Dodge 2500 Ram. Gas mileage with Burb: 9 mpg. With Dodge: 12 towing, 18 no tow.

2. Burb was a piece of crap. Never buy a Chevy again. Have heard the newer ones are better but GM lost me as a customer. By 150k I'd spent probably $6-8k replacing stuff that should not have failed, or failed that often (intake manifold, water pump, radiator, rear a/c, dash lights, brakes EVERY 15k, etc.).

3. Burb towed fine, not as good as the Dodge, but close.

Your mileage may vary.
    [/b]
    I think the new body style Suburban/ Yukon XL's have a much better build quality vs. the old ones. Also, the new brakes are truly impressive. I've got 81,000 miles on my 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0L and I've still got the original front pads. I had to replace the rears due to corrosion on the rear rotors that I didn't catch soon enough that chewed up the pads, but generally the factory pads last FOREVER. The only odd thing I've noticed is that when they get hot the pad material tends to deposit unevenly, which can lead to a braking vibration. I've only had it happen a few times and I tow a fair amount, just something to be aware of.

Someone earlier mentioned the K&N improving fuel mileage, I can can back up that statement. I was skeptical but when I got a FIPK for free I figured I'd give it a try. I normally get 11.5-12.5 mpg towing a heavy open trailer and with the bed loaded down, and I tend to run in the 75-80 mph range. Towed to KS in September and got 13.5 mpg for the first time ever, and I definitely wasn't driving any slower than normal.
    Scott Sawyer
    1989 Honda CRX Si,STS2 23
    http://www.teamunderdog.com