Thread: 2500 HD Silverado 6.0 V8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a 2500HD 6.0 standard cab 2wd standard cab. 8mpg towing a 20' enclosed at 75 mph. The ride is horrible unloaded. They are less expensive than the 1500. I payed 17.6k for mine new in 03. I bought it for the big tranny that went bad in less than 10k miles. Has 65k miles now with no other problems. Tried the Bilstiens to help ride quality. Did not help do anything but lighten my wallet. If I did not need the trailer to double as a garage, I would go back to an open trailer and a 1/2 ton pickup. Much better mileage and a smoother ride. I may consider an garage addition soon.
    Chris Howard

I have a 2500HD 6.0 standard cab 2wd standard cab. 8mpg towing a 20' enclosed at 75 mph. The ride is horrible unloaded. They are less expensive than the 1500. I payed 17.6k for mine new in 03. I bought it for the big tranny that went bad in less than 10k miles. Has 65k miles now with no other problems. Tried the Bilstiens to help ride quality. Did not help do anything but lighten my wallet. If I did not need the trailer to double as a garage, I would go back to an open trailer and a 1/2 ton pickup. Much better mileage and a smoother ride. I may consider an garage addition soon.
    Chris Howard
    [/b]
    chris -

would you think the 6.0 in a 1500 would be 'the best of both worlds' option?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

chris -

would you think the 6.0 in a 1500 would be 'the best of both worlds' option?
    [/b]
    That is my goal I think. I kicked aroound the idea of the 2500 for quite a while. WOuld love the diesel, but can't justify the extra $7000-$8000 more when I tow 6-8 times a year. I love my '02 Z71 with the 5.3. I actually tow a 20' enclosed that acts as a garage. I don't have too much trouble other then braking with it. I find just stick it in 3rd gear, hit the tow button and maintain 60-65mph and I'm good. 9.5mpg.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I love my '02 Z71 with the 5.3. I actually tow a 20' enclosed that acts as a garage. I find just stick it in 3rd gear, hit the tow button and maintain 60-65mph and I'm good. 9.5mpg.
    [/b]
    Anybody with a 2500HD that can share what their fuel economy is towing an enclosed? (truck year, 2wd/4wd, trailer size, and tow speed are all important to know, thanks)

Getting real close to pulling the trigger on an 04 2500HD, 6.0L, 2wd, work trim grade that my brother in law has for sale. He hasn't used it much for towing at all and he's got an extended warranty.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited