Thread: (NOT IT) ITE/ SPU/SPO Rules

I have a friend that is about to purchase a pair of group N rally cars (Ford Cosworth 2.0T, AWD) and wanted to try and race with SCCA.

I assume that it would have to race in either SPU or SPO, (Maybe ITE? but its a turbo W/AWD)but I have not been able to locate ANY rules to point him towards.

other than the over/under 2.5 liter are there any rules?
    for safety stuff does it follow IT? GT?, Production?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide, I think if I can get him on the track he will let me drive one of these things

Matt Bal

Those classes are all region-defined -- you won't find their rules in the GCR. Check with the region where the cars would be racing.

They would be good in SFR's flavor of ITE, assuming IT-level safety gear.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

The SP rules are in the GCR, one line I think, the only local difference is O and U but a turbo is automatically in SPO. Gt or Prod safety stuff. The ITE rules for our area are on the NARRC site. It is linked from NER.org
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Schwing!

Back in the heyday, the GrN Cosworth Sierras (the RWD version) were good for 165mph on one particularly long tarmac stage of a rally on the World Championship (San Remo, I think). They were faster than the GrA cars because they had to use the stock gearbox ratios. They also had to change those gearboxes a couple times a day because of the power they were trying to cope with.

I imagine these are Sierra 4x4s. Also very cool.

K

EDIT - Hmm. I don't think the 4x4 came as a turbo but I'm probably wrong

Used to have one of those killer cars run up here, locally - gave the GT1 cars fits! But he hasn't been out for a few (no doubt due to a lack of competition)...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Used to have one of those killer cars run up here, locally - gave the GT1 cars fits! But he hasn't been out for a few (no doubt due to a lack of Funds to keep transmissions and other parts in it)... [/b]
    Fixed that for ya...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The SP rules are in the GCR, one line I think, the only local difference is O and U but a turbo is automatically in SPO. Gt or Prod safety stuff. The ITE rules for our area are on the NARRC site. It is linked from NER.org
    [/b]
    Dick - I don't think the NARRC ITE rules have any exclusionary language re: "turbo". I just looked...didn't see anything, but I may have missed it.

I know that out here in western hinterlands of the division, we've had old rally cars (turbo and otherwise) run in ITE. While it's probably appropriate for cars with mucho-HP to have Prod/GT-level safety equipment, there are variations that some scrutineers will pick out. Though...IME...rally cars have amazingly stout cages and safety equipment. Them boyz is crazy.

Thanks John, I guess I should have written clearer. SP is locally divided in to O and U with 2.5 liters as the cut off.
    ITE is a single catch all class that is on the NARRC website. Locally we have a really cool turbo VE/Audi thing that Tom Kelly races that was won big bore overall last weekend in the wet.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Thank you all for the information. I had somehow missed that 1 paragraph in the GCR

it looks like he has some work ahead of him, but it should be a blast.

Thanks again

Matt Bal

Matt-

We have a VW rallycar, biggest issue is the cage is not legal, needs a cross brace and additional door bar... Other issue is rallycars don't have to have a "kill switch"

Check it out before you go to the track

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com