Thread: 2.3

Anybody ever have problems with the Pre-90 2.3 running low oil pressure 30Lbs @ 4000 rpm i have hear conflicting stories some say thats just the way they are even with a high volume oil pump which it does have and the pressure didn't change. I was wondering if anyone ever had or heard about this. It is valvoline racing oil non-syn 10-50
    Kevin Beck
    StangIT Racing
    Claremore, OK

Is this a stock engine?
    What kind of oil? (Synthetic or Dino)
    What weight?

For reference, we raced with a pre-1991 2.3 (4 plug, carbureted engine), built to IT rules but with whatever clearances were stipulated in the factory manuals with Sythetic 10w30 oil and would race at about 45lbs of oil pressure (hot) at 6000 rpm. If I remember correctly, it idled at about 20-25 lbs.

We did that sort of thing for years with a couple different engines and never had a problem.

Dave Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, NY

Yes Bone Stock internally except for the High Volume Oil pump, it runs about 20-25 at idle and about 45 at speed. I was just wondering I had heard that the journals where huge in these things and so high pressure was hard to get but was designed so they didn't need it.
    Kevin Beck
    StangIT Racing
    Claremore, OK