As a former member of the Solo Events Board, which is responsible for writing and interpreting the rules for Solo II, I have some insight into how these rules are written and interpreted.
The GCR defines a traction bar as “A link to an axle housing or hub carrier which resists torque reaction from the wheel by acting in compression or tension.”
It defines a trailing arm as “A wheel control linkage locating the wheel in the fore/aft direction, which is attached to the car structure at the forward end of the arm, and the wheel carrier at the rear of the arm.”
It defines a suspension control arm as “A beam or frame intended to limit the normal motion of the affected suspension part to predetermined paths.
Why are there three definitions which overlap in many ways? Because the rules makers want to show that these links are different. When we use these generally accepted terms, we all know what they mean.
When faced with a convoluted reinterpretation of a rule which uses generally accepted terms, rules makers tend to go with the simpler, more straightforward interpretations, based on the intent of the rule. If you take the logic presented by some on this forum, one would wonder why the Comp Board didn’t write the rule to say, “any suspension control arm, trailing arm and traction bar may be added or substituted.” But they didn’t. That’s a big clue.
Why take a chance on a stretched interpretation of the rules which doesn’t make the car go any faster than a more conservative interpretation? As a competitor I would be suspect of any car which had a substituted trailing arm which is adjustable in length. One would wonder how many other illegal parts there were on the car. If the car finished ahead of mine in an important race I would protest the car on principle alone.
Anything can be argued, and this is just my personal opinion.
Jim Susko