Thread: Nashville Super Speedway

Anybody have any video or comments about racing at Nashville?

I was wondering how the event went with the new curbing...haven't heard anything...
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

Three threads down in the SEDIV folder - "From Z Start to Z Finish"...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Well, I like racing anywhere, so I'm never too disappointed in the track. Here's my thoughts:

The Good:

1. Atlanta tech and check in folks were awesome, many thanks.

2. Event ran on time.

3. Good corner working.

4. You hauled butt into Turn 1, cool entry into the corner.

The Not So Good:

1. In a couple of places, the curbing could be brutal, most notably on the entrance to the backstraight (as in mess your car up brutal).

2. The transition into 1 was fine, unless you hit it wrong. Then it wasn't fine.

3. Not many corners to deal with.

4. Two corners were HARD left and HARD right, more than 150 degress it seemed like. Slow speed (40-50 mph felt like). Didn't like that.

The Bad:

The race came down to traffic management once we got spread out. Nowhere to pass slower traffic except on the front straight really, and passing a "nearly equal" car could really only be done in turn 1.

Bottom line -- I'll go back only if I really need the points. But it is a good event, well run, etc. If the track were within 3-4 hours of me, I would do it in a heart beat. At 10 hours, it's a tough call.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The Not So Good:

1. In a couple of places, the curbing could be brutal, most notably on the entrance to the backstraight (as in mess your car up brutal).

2. The transition into 1 was fine, unless you hit it wrong. Then it wasn't fine.

[/b]
    I heard of a couple people getting launched by the curbing before the back straight. Ask Lyman about the Neon in qualifying. He thought it was going to roll. The transition into 1 wasn't as bad as I remembered, but the transition off the back straight was brutal (that must've been what I was thinking of). There was no good way to do it if you wanted to be fast. As I noted in the other thread, the mount for my fuel cell cracked.

The Bad:

The race came down to traffic management once we got spread out. Nowhere to pass slower traffic except on the front straight really, and passing a "nearly equal" car could really only be done in turn 1.
    [/b]
    Like being an ITA car behind a slower ITS car. Eat 'em up in the turns, only to be out motored down the straights. Makes for a not so fun race (especially when the other ITA car you're racing manages to get by them). Though I did eventually stuff it under them coming off the back straight.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I've got a video of the Saturday race but it's pretty boring as I was running in last about 7 seconds off the pace but heck I was still a novice and it was only my 2nd race. I'll see if I can edit it down from the 35 minutes it is into more managable chucks of something worth watching.

Tom Sprecher

Sounds good Tom. I'd like to see some in car from someone else's position.

Thanks a bunch.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I've got a video of the Saturday race but it's pretty boring as I was running in last about 7 seconds off the pace but heck I was still a novice and it was only my 2nd race.
    [/b]
    Tom,

.... You should show him the qualifying session from Saturday. That wasn&#39;t boring! Especially the part with me mowing the grass on the front straight..... LOL Wonder why??????? <_<

...........It&#39;s all good..............LOL

I wish I had a video of that! Heck, I was told to hold my line and that&#39;s exactly what I did. Mainly because I was freakin&#39; out watching you pass me with all that grass and dust flying.

Just &#39;cuz you&#39;ve won a bunch of championships is no reason to start showin&#39; up the rookies.
    Tom Sprecher

I heard of a couple people getting launched by the curbing before the back straight. Ask Lyman about the Neon in qualifying. He thought it was going to roll.[/b]
    Yeah, it was a wild ride that happened more than once.

I understand that the road course was an afterthought of the nascar oval (like all rovals), but this was like someone vomited a road course into the center of the speedway. Very unsafe curbing, ridiculous layout, and definitely a little to close to a fence in the area marked on the track map as "danger zone"

I am also rather unhappy with having a Midiv race in another division for the following reasons:

-I had confusing and difficult time trying to register
    -My permanent number wasn&#39;t good out of division
    -There was already another midiv race (in division) that weekend (we have way too many races people!!)

The above being said, the event was very well run and all the workers (especially registration) were awesome!

Thanks for letting me come play in your division, but I will be staying at home next time.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works