Since the allowance for threaded body struts is relatively new, I wonder if many cars have them yet. I bought a "project" 1972 240Z that already had threaded body struts installed but I'm unsure about the legality. From what I've read here doing searches, strut tube modification is allowed, but this is a bit extreme. The original strut tube is cut off near the bottom leaving only an inch or so, and a new, very short tube with internal threads is welded to the spindle. The threaded strut screws into the tube.

That's an image from the company making the assemblies - Arizona Z Car. Note the weld at the tubing base. The strut would unscrew completely from the short tube.

So would someone have grounds for protesting this?

As a side note, I tried contacting them to ask who makes the shocks and they wouldn't tell me, only that they were a "proprietary design" and that all sorts of racers use them with great success. Yeah, right. After a couple seasons I will probably look into whether these can be tailor-valved or even rebuilt, or try to find replacements from a reputable brand. I've got some stock strut assemblies in a parts car also if I had to use regular inserts.