Thread: Be safe this weekend!

Just wanted everyone to have a good, safe time this long weekend.

No crashing, got it? Anyone who crashes has to skip dessert.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Just wanted everyone to have a good, safe time this long weekend.

No crashing, got it? Anyone who crashes has to skip dessert.
    [/b]
    Too late, also I was at the track on Friday when you posted this. In the Saturday Feature race at Buttonwillow 16ccw, in the chacane I spun and went off track sideways, and rolled. It seemed to go on forever, and I think I saw sky, or lighted dust several times. When I came to a stop I was just before the final curb just before the braking point, with the tail of my car still on the track. Since there were no signs of fire I waved at the flag station and stayed in the car untill I saw the tow truck. My balaclava was filled with dirt that could only get in through the eye holes. I walked away with a couple of bruises on the back of my leg and not much else, the day after and I'm not that sore. As for the car, I think the unibody is basically straight, with the section in front of the wheel house bent down, windshield frame is bent back, trailing arms are bent, panel damage on the drivers side only, and a new hood will be needed. So, this ends my season, and I'll probably be out next season too to pay for it. Thanks to the emergency crew and tow crew with Cal-Club for getting me and the car off the track and back on my trailer, and also to John Norris for helping me pack up

I'll post pictures when I get them up-loaded to the net.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Wow ... Bummer man, but glad to hear that you didn't get injured!

Unreal. That sort of wreck is really pretty uncommon. Lesson: always go off nose-first or ass-first, never ever sideways.

I have a spare hood I can sell you pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than the common market price). They are pretty expensive. E-mail me if you want to talk about it.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

A hard hit Saturday and one Sunday at SOWDIV Fall Roundup Double Regional. Both drivers walked away fine. Otherwise, a good weekend.

Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

James-

Wow. I am really sorry to see that. Every time I loook at my car and think, "I should get something better", I need to think about what it would mean if something better got destroyed. Hate to see you out for such a long time.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hey Josh,

I'll send you a PM on the hood. I was looking for an excuse to get a steel hood anyway so I could go ITR.

Jake,

I'd encourage you to run what what you really want. Still if you can't afford to push the race car off a cliff....
    I'll be back, in the mean time I'll have the motor gone throught too.

So here's the pictures:

This side was hardly touched, both doors still close.

The upper windshield frame is bent in at the top, which is the stock roll over protection and the upper radiator support is bent down, but the frame rail still looks straight.

Drivers side is the side I rolled, the panels are all bolt on, so they can be replaced. The odd angle on the rear wheel is a bent trailing arm.

before the roll, it was running good, but the oil pressure was soft as I was only getting 25psi on 50wt. The hard top really helped with the top speed as I was getting better than 120 going into Riverside and Magic Mountain, and boy that car likes to slide the tail.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

James, sorry to hear about your incident. If you want to run the Wabbit anytime next year, feel to come up and run Laguna or Sears. I'll make you a really good offer.

Also, kudo's to Josh for setting a new ITR track record @ Sears Point this weekend.

Jake, don't race a car you can't afford to write off. We all know, it's "when" not "if" .

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Also, kudo's to Josh for setting a new ITR track record @ Sears Point this weekend.
    [/b]
    Thanks Tim. I've now got the record at all 3 local tracks, and I think the records are decent for a new build with totally stock HP (yes, I've still got stock exhaust manifold, cats, stock muffler, and stock software, on a 100K original engine). Over the winter I intend to finish the build and get all the extra HP that the IT rules allow, and hopefully fine-tune the handling. Should be interesting to see just how much power gain that is.

Next year hopefully I'll be faster than the fastest ITS and ITA cars :-)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

A hard hit Saturday and one Sunday at SOWDIV Fall Roundup Double Regional. Both drivers walked away fine. Otherwise, a good weekend.

[/b]

Both of those were cause by the drivers hitting the tire bundles used for chicanes and spinning into the wall. I was parked next to Waco Bill in the paddock. His pride was the most injured thing in the wreck.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

It was very close to a disastrous weekend for me as well. The new curbing at Nashville Superspeedway is a launching pad when hit at the right angle. Video from Sunday's race to follow (whenever I get a chance), but in the meantime... think British Touring Car racing.

-Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

James, sorry to hear about your incident. If you want to run the Wabbit anytime next year, feel to come up and run Laguna or Sears. I'll make you a really good offer.

Jake, don't race a car you can't afford to write off. We all know, it's "when" not "if" .
    [/b]
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for the offer, I love Laguna and would love to try Sears Point. I only need one more regional to trade my novice book for a national license, lets just say I'm riding it untill I can't ride it anymore, also I havn't figured out a way to justify it with the accountant yet either.

As I worked the corner at Buttonwillow last weekend I asked if anyone saw it. That's when I found out it rolled two time with a pirouette at the end. He asked if it even got a scratch on the hard top I guess it drives like a dirt track sprint car, it should wreck like one too. So just made a plan with Kevin to replace the tweeked trailing arm then align and scale it to make sure the uni-body's not bent. If all checks out I'll be rebuilding the motor too.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter