Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Serious Conflict of Interest in SCCA

Matt, nice job of presenting in a civil manner. A couple ruff edges BUT we can work with that.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Since this has become something of a catch-all bashing of SCCA management, I wonder how many others of you could care less about Speed World Challenge, Trans Am, Pro Racing, or any of the other concoctions our "club" has come up with to "market" the SCCA. If it doesn't directly affect my participation in, and my enjoyment of, a typical club race weekend, Regional or National, then I fail to see why any money or effort shoud be expended in these areas. If there is a quantifiable measure of how these extraneous activities do anything other than create or justify jobs at the National office, I would like to see it. I realize that there are a very few racers who see the SCCA as a stepping stone to bigger things, but the vast majority of us are in it for fun at a local level. Someone please enlighten me if I am just a rube in the big city on this one...
    [/b]

James, I like the way you think. We need to get together for a beer or two at the ARRC.

I absolutely LOVE World Challenge! The rest of the Pro Racing/Enterprises menu I could care less about. Enterprises is an entity that seems useless to me. Although I see some merit in SRF since the numbers actually give it a chance to operate in the black, I don't believe that the club should be in the manufacturing business at all. Formula SCCA and the cousin Sports Racer seem ill advised and self serving to say the least.

I'll draw the parallel with the current woes in the mortgage industry. Those speculators and lenders that got in over their heads are going to have to take it on the chin. Just as I feel that the gov't shouldn't be using taxpayer dollars (is there any other kind of gov't money?) to bail out failing private enterprises, I don't believe that the National office should be using club monies to subsidize failing pro racing ventures.

That said, I think I remember WC restructuring their fees to the racers so as to create enough revenue, when coupled with advertising fees and marketing partnerships, that the WC portion of Pro could support itself. I think SRF operates in the black as well. Kudos to both groups for that, but the rest of the Pro side seems useless and unnecessary to me.
    [/b]
    Chris, you're invited too!
    Tom Sprecher

Matt, nice job of presenting in a civil manner. A couple ruff edges BUT we can work with that.
    [/b]
    Thanks David. Not sure whether you're being facetious though...

Regardless, IIRC we hashed out this Ozment problem in relation to the RMDIV track some time ago and the conflict was, as I understand, dealt with by Topeka. To hear that Ed is involved again in something is a little shocking. I really don't think they're is any intention on the Ozment's part as I truly doubt they know any better. Conflict of interest to most employees in Topeka is defined as an argument over a remote control for the TV of whether to serve pigs in blankets or shrimp at the convention social. :P

It does however cast a very dim light on both the BoD and Topeka for allowing it to re-occur. If Mr. Julow has any spine at all he will put a quick end to this.
    The majority shall rule.

As a long time fan of IT racing and Improvedtouring.com, I have been pleased to see this forum relatively free of the trash we find on Prodcar and other sites. I suppose good things never last forever.
    Bill

Fortunately, the helicopter sightings are relatively rare over here.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Matt, not facetious in any manner. Good job. If your at the Runoffs we'll share my & your :026: (shrimp)
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Since Ed Ozment became employeed by HPT he can no longer be a track inspector. I do not believe is involved with the RFP as Ray Irwin makes all decisions. Terry may help prepare the RFP but the only people to blame is the BOD. They usually have a 5 person committee to evaluate the RFP and the make a recommendation to the board. The last time the vote was 8-5. Complaining on this site or anyother site will get you knothing as the majority of the board does not waste their time on the internet. Write them an email or letter if you want to be heard. Like it or not.

Now, back to the shrimp boat.

Mike Engelke

Mike, come on man, lets not get carried away. I know about internet time wasting, but I also know very well what a powerful tool it can be, and it's been instrumental in some major changes...changes that have occurred right under your nose. I also know BoD guys who DO "waste their time" on the net.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com