Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Serious Conflict of Interest in SCCA

my letter to Heartland Park, the CRB, BOD, Jim Julow, and many others.

if you feel the same, please share with your RE, BOD rep, or whomever will listen.

Heartland Park Staff -

Please forward this message along to Ray Irwin and Ed Ozment, as I could not find their email addresses on the website. Although I'm sure Terry will share this with her husband.

All -

Even though we are a not for profit organization run mainly by volunteers, I personally expect the club to be run to a certain standard. Over the past couple of years, there has been a serious problem developing. It comes as no surprise to anyone receiving this message that the move to Heartland Park for the Runoffs was a controversial one from the beginning. In my view, we have only made a bad situation worse.

I don't remember exactly the timing of events, but I believe somewhere after the announcement was made, and the start of the 2006 season was when Chris Bovis left Heartland Park as Track Manager, and Ed Ozment stepped in. There are probably very few people that are aware the track manager of Heartland Park is married to the current VP of Club Racing, Terry Ozment (who was Director of Club Racing at the time Ed took the job).

When I first saw pictures of the changes to T1/2, and T8/9, my initial reaction was they made changes to the wrong section of the track, and the design looked like it was drawn up by someone who has never driven a race car. While attending the last national race at Heartland Park, I walked the new sections of track on Friday and was terribly disappointed in the way the changes were executed. Such obvious oversights of serious safety hazards (a light pole at T2) cemented my belief that someone with neither racing or course design experience was involved. Much in the way the initial 'Alpha' design seemed it was just thrown together (as evidenced by the 15ft of extra pavement, curbing, and grading that took place later, and yes I was there and drove it the first weekend), T1/2 and T8/9 create a feeling of deja-vu. No curbing in place, seriously bumpy pavement (especially considering it's brand new), light poles, no sand or gravel traps, and other than a waist-high concrete wall spectators stand unprotected less than 20ft from cars traveling 100+mph. I can't see how a reasonable person would find this acceptable for any track, much less a "Runoffs caliber course."

Later that weekend I learned that Ed Ozment was actually the one who layed out the new course. I can't say for 100% certain, but I don't believe Ed has any actual race driving experience. All those I talked with that weekend including people who have been in the club and local to the area for 25+ years couldn't ever remember him racing either. I'm sure there are designers out there that haven't ever driven a race car, but given the situation, this doesn't sit well with me.

Whether you are aware of it or not, there is significant amounts of dissent forming towards the SCCA; much of which revolves around holding the Runoffs at Heartland Park. I realize there is nothing we can do for the 07 or 08 Runoffs, but I fear the major conflict of interest created by having Terry Ozment as VP of Club Racing, and Ed Ozment as Track Manager for Heartland Park may influence the decision. This is one of the many reasons I feel it necessary for SCCA to remove Terry Ozment from her involvement with SCCA, and/or Ed Ozment be removed as Track Manager at Heartland Park.

As a resident of Kansas City, I am largely benefited by having SCCA's biggest event so close to home. However, I feel that it is creating much dissatisfaction amongst our National Drivers, thus sending many to NASA and their National Championship. We are already struggling with losing members to this competing organization, and I believe this trend will continue if the venue does not change for 2009.

The VERY least we need to do as a club and track owners/managers, is ensure a safe environment for our competitors, spectators, and workers at the 2007 Runoffs. The current design of Heartland Park is a long way off, and I beg you, for the good of the SCCA and Heartland Park, to remedy this situation.

If any of my understandings of the timeline of events, people, places, or positions involved are erroneous, I sincerely apologize. Please understand I only write this in hope of keeping SCCA as the best motorsports sanctioning body in the United States.

Thank you,

Travis Nordwald
    Kansas City Region
    Member #338522
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

While the Terry/Ed conflict comes as suprise to me, I am not going to get into this one to deep...

I do however need to give some support to Terry Ozment as she has been wonderfull to me when dealing with SCCA questions/stuff. She is certainly an asset to all of us in my opinion.

Raymond "Thanks for the info" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

It is no surprise that many classes are talking about "alternate" races in place of the runoffs. We will see a consistent decline in participation if the club does not make some major changes.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Wouldn't this topic feel more at home over on the Prodcar forum?
    Bill

[/b]
    And started by the real conspiracy theorist here? (You know who I am talking about. Rhymes with Pittsburgh...)
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

[/b]
    Most of this is SCCA related, not Prod car related.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

just because IT cars are not allowed at the runoffs does not mean this doesn't affect IT drivers.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I personally vote with my feet. I have absolutely zero interest in running a National class which is one of the main reasons I moved from SM to ITA. Making the class national changes everything. So if the SCCA want to give the national guys and absolutely crap place to race, go right ahead. National Racing = Politics. It'll just mean more folks stick with regionals or go Pro Racing. I really couldn't care less. We all make the decision whether to try for the Runoffs or not, the SCCA is not forcing that on us. If the track sucks, do the ARRC instead! It's where the real fun's at anyway

Moving the track to Heartland Park already severely dented the prestige of the Runoffs, making the track different isn't going to change anything. The only way to change things is to hurt the bottom line which means quit going

I personally vote with my feet. I have absolutely zero interest in running a National class which is one of the main reasons I moved from SM to ITA. Making the class national changes everything. So if the SCCA want to give the national guys and absolutely crap place to race, go right ahead. National Racing = Politics. It'll just mean more folks stick with regionals or go Pro Racing. I really couldn't care less. We all make the decision whether to try for the Runoffs or not, the SCCA is not forcing that on us.
    [/b]
    true, but here's the problem. National racing is our advertisement to the world being on TV and all. If we can't host a successful and legitimate national championship, it won't be long until everyone moves to NASA instead.

trust me, the Runoffs and national racing do affect regional guys.

edited because i was wrong
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

National racing is undoubtedly where the money is made. [/b]

???

You need to explain that statement.

count the number of annual National entries compared to annual Regional entries.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis, I may be wrong, but I think it is the other way around. I think Regional entries exceed National entries by a wide margin.

Anyone have actual numbers?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Travis, have you actually attended a National lately? Working Tech at a National is about as boring as watching an autocross...

Which is exactly why I continue to be baffled that sponsors who market to racers (e.g., safety equipment, racing tires) ignore Regional racing. If it weren't for the Runoffs TV package, no one would pay attention to National racing at all...

yes. i've been to about a half dozen this year, probably 10 last year. how many have you been to greg?

focus people, don't get all up tight and feel slighted.

if either national or regional club racing is hurt, it affects the other as well.

edited for accuracy
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

yes. i've been to about a half dozen this year, probably 10 last year. how many have you been to greg?[/b]
    I'll sit here amused, waiting for a response. Will it be diplomatic, or will it be appropriate ?

all i'm saying is that the total number of entries across the country for nationals surpass the total number of entries across the country for regionals over the course of the season.[/b]
    Absolutely 100% irreconcilably wrong. Not even close.

even if this statement isn't true, it doesn't matter. focus people, don't get all up tight and feel slighted.[/b]
    Not a real good way to make a point - "craft a statement that is critical to your position, have it challenged, dismiss original statement as irrelevant". Wow.

if either national or regional club racing is hurt, it affects the other as well.[/b]
    In what way ? Enlighten us.

good lord john. you couldn't be any farther from the original point of this thread.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007...for_website.pdf
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Another interesting conflict of interest is the "Safety Commitee"...

Which was, last I checked, made up of:

Ed Ozmet (see above)
    Joe Marko (HMS Motorsports owner, HMS is a dealer of many safety products, including the HANS)
    and
    Arnie Kuhns. (President of SFI, the foundation that writes safety standards, including the Head and neck restraint standard, )

Thankfully, the Head and Neck Restraint issue that came before the BoD last summer has been dropped, because with a Commitee so clearly HANS biased, it would have been ugly to mandate the HANS.....

Regarding the track/staff connections, it is unfortunate. But I'd be interested in reading the discloures of the dealings before I'd throw anyone under the bus. The whole Hearland Park thing is very unfortunate...all reports are that the track sucks, but the facility is nice.

And thats too bad, because SCCA's main marketing chance is the TV coverage of the Runoffs, and crappy tracks and crappy racing are doing us no favors in that department...

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The turnout for national races is posted online:
    http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007...for_website.pdf

The 2007 National season is now over, so these are the final numbers.

Total entries: 10,010
    Average turnout: 142
    Division with largest average turnout: CenDiv (216)
    Division with smallest average turnout: RMDiv (101)

Meanwhile, San Francisco Region is hosting a double regional this weekend at Infineon, with an entry list showing 397 (!) entries.
    http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2007/C...7sep1entry.pdf

Now, I know that's big, but it would not surprise me at all to hear that regional entries generally surpass national entries. It's a big commitment to run a national schedule, due to all of the travel.

BTW: only 2 classes had what I would consider "full fields" with an average turnout of 10+. Only 7 classes had an average turnout of 5+. Of those 7 classes, only 2 are based on street cars (SM and EP).

In my opinion, that's a CLEAR indication that we have the wrong classes.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

i'd agree jake. that is another significant problem. One guy designs the track, approves it, and his wife influences the decision to hold SCCA's biggest event at his track. nope, there's no problem with that at all.

PS - national racing season isn't over. add another 600 or so for the runoffs.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

>Meanwhile, San Francisco Region is hosting a double regional this weekend at Infineon, with an entry list showing 397 (!) entries.

OK, but that's division specific. Some divisions have big national turnouts, some have big regional turnouts.

By the numbers you quote, average turnout at a RMDiv national is 101. We have a regional scheduled this weekend too -- 41 cars entered.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion