Thread: Headers

I am looking to get some new headers and am looking for insight on Tri-Y versus 4 into 1 and scavaging effectiveness of 1 3/8 versus 1 5/8 diameter tubes. This is for a MK1 1.8L. What is the best? thanks

I would be pretty interested in this too in what works best.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I have always heard that a tri Y is better for mid range and street use and a 4 to 1 is better for top end and the track.

I know techtonics makes a 1 5/8 and a 1.75 and they say the 1.75 is for over 200hp, but as far as 1 3/8 I am not sure thats a good point.

Might want to give Colin at Techtonics a call, I beleive he has alot of knowledge on exhausts.

You bet 1 3/8 is better than those larger sizes. Stahl used to make a (1 3/8?) Mk I header that was a great piece. I recall Tectonics bought out a bunch of these-ask Colin (who may believe bigger {1.5"+}is better) but would be wrong. The Tectonics header isn't just too big, it's outrageously so. 1 1/4 x 1 3/8 stepped might be even better (4 into 1) phil

As a point of reference, a knowledgeable friend found that the TT 1-5/8 allowed several more HP than the TT 1-3/4 on a built 2L 8V in the 170hp range.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Talk to someone that has a Puckett header.

Does anyone know if the Puckett headers were 1 3/8 tubes or 1 5/8? or what they were? no luck on reaching Walt. thanks

yeah, Puckett is not building those anymore.

Chris Schimmel has a pucket header on his mk2, he has also mentioned that he would be interested in building headers, Dejavu?

We seem to be making plenty of squirt with the TT header on the MK3, it also has the nice scavenging collector built in, I just cut the damaged collector off of a Puckett header built for a Acura B18, it had 1 5/8" primarys and a cheapo collector on it, we put a nice collector on it and the but dyno says it helped some, couldn't have hurt the other collector had at least 50% reduction on two of the pipes from being smashed. I haven't had that car back at the Dyno. In my opinion, TT has done an assload of testing with exhaust systems, hell it's their bread and butter, I think by now they know what they are doing just as well as anyone, probably better. I think you can't go wrong with TT exhaust parts. Unless you have the right kit to hook to the back end of that header your not going to have that badass sounding note that Kirk's does though! That's where I come in. . .

I couldn't get Walt to make me one so I bucked up for a TT race one. It sure is a nice piece compared to the el cheapo one I had. Will be testing it out in a couple of weeks.
    John McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH