Thread: need to add ~50lbs

so i got talked into running a short 'endurance' race this weekend with a buddy, but we have a slight problem. based on fuel level estimates, we'll be about 7 gallons short at the end if we split the two hour race in two, roughly 50lbs light to be conservative.

i suggested he just drive as long as he can during the first stint, and hopefully that will bring us in with an extra gallon or two. i think i weigh a little more than he does, which might get us 5lbs. he's already got the spare tire in there, and normally runs with a camera. we don't have a passenger or back seat to add back in. i'm going to bring my lap timer, but my little XT is only about 1lb. i said if i finish the race i can slam down a couple big gatorades to add 2 or 3lbs before we roll across.

so we've found ways to nickel and dime our way to at BEST 20lbs, leaving us another 20-30lb short. where the heck are we going to find this? is there anything to do besides buy some weights from walmart?

no we don't have radios. we've got a coolsuit, but it's not installed, and i doubt it will be by this weekend.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Pizza. Eat fast.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

25# plates bought for 5-12 dollars at a yard sale or walmart bolted to the passanger floor?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

yeah we're trying to avoid adding more plates from walmart as that will require more holes to be drilled in the floorpan. don't really want to do that for this one event.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

find a fatter team mate? put the spare tire back in?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

If you have the cool suit at least mount the cooler and add ice at the pit stop when you get in. Should give you 20+ pounds and not be heavy for the first driver. You can hook up all the goodies later. A block of ice from a milk jug is best.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Man I WISH I had this problem...
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

have the heavier of the two finish?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

So you're only illegal for 1/2 of the race? I like the cool seat cooler idea. 50 lbs is a lot to add as temp. weight without using lead plates though.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

take it out of my car

Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

i am likely the heavier of the two. but a 195lb guy vs a 200lb guy doesn't make much difference.

dave -
    if we roll across the scales at the end of the race above min weight, how were we illegal for 1/2 the race?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I misread your post and should have read it again about the weight differences. I based that comment if there was a fairly significant difference in weight between the two drivers and the heavier person was used during the second stint, which was wrong. Sorry about that James & Travis. Just for that I should give you a box of books you can say you're delivering for me to the workers. That's just over 50 lbs. LOL

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Oops, never mind. I had made a comment about most cars not getting weighed at enduros, but I realized you said a short enduro.....So they may very well weigh them.......
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

no problem dave.

it doesn't seem like anyone has any "duh" answers, so the two of us aren't as stupid as we thought, and we'll likely just resort to bolting more weight to the floor.

thanks guys.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region