Thread: Alternate Connecting Rods!

OK, Try this one.

There are vehicles currently in production by many major manufactures that use connecting rods in there engines that CAN NOT be reconditioned. They are what is known as a cracked cap rod. There is no machined part on the big end of the rod. They are scored and then cracked at the cap. You would not be able to machine and resize the big end of the rod. So what are the owners of such engines to do in IT? There is a rule that states that parts that are no longer available from the manufacture may be replaced with alternative parts of similiar design. What if your only option is a rod manufactured by say Eagle or Lunati?

Let the mud start slinging..........
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

First, Chris: nice try; I always admire the effort. ;)

But...no buena.

To the rules, cracked cap or not (I'm familiar with the process), you must use factory rods only. If those rods cannot be reconditioned* then you must replace them with factory new - or aftermarket equivalent** - parts.

If those OE spec parts are not available, you can't simply call up Carrillo and have them make you up a set; you have to provide factory-supported evidence to the ITAC/CRB of the lack of availability of the rods and *they* will spec a suitable replacement, and list that in the notes of the ITCS. Until that note is listed (or covered via Fastrack) you are illegal to use anything but factory-equivalent parts.

Greg

* Why can't you resize cracked-cap rods? What's to keep you from doing a normal resize and installing ARP rod bolts? I know what they are, but I've never worked with them.

** If the Eagle or Lunati rods are markedly similar to factory rods - e.g., material, size, dimensions, WEIGHT, design, etc - yet are different only in method of manufacture (i.e., no performance advantage whatsoever) then I suggest they meet the spirit of the rule allowing aftermarket equivalent replacement parts. I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone who A) would protest it, and/or B) recognize the difference if protested. BUT, if there's any performance advantage whatsoever, you're busting the spirit of the rule.

* Why can't you resize cracked-cap rods? What's to keep you from doing a normal resize and installing ARP rod bolts? I know what they are, but I've never worked with them.

[/b]
    There is no flat surface to remove material from the cap and then resize the hole. When the cap is cracked off it leaves a jagged surface that interfaces with the mirror of it's self on the rod. Just for conversations sake, the Neon does use these, and yes I am still using stock rods. Currently they are available, but only for a short time longer.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Yeah, I understood that to be the case; just wondering why you can't cut 'em and resize 'em. Guess you'd have to shave off too much, and the resize would make the rods weaker...

I suppose you'd should investigate the specs on the Eagles/Lunatis, and possibly request from Topeka that they be "declared" legal replacement parts...

Forged titanium is the way to go. Greg will never notice...
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

There has to be millions of these around...used

used and out of round!
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Hone/Grind conn rod with cap in place. Replace bearings with oversize.

Are you just asking for hypothesis, or are you implying that rods for the neon are no longer available (NLA)?
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Hone/Grind conn rod with cap in place. Replace bearings with oversize.

Are you just asking for hypothesis, or are you implying that rods for the neon are no longer available (NLA)?
    [/b]
    Hone/Grind is not really an option do to the locating tangs in the bearings.

I have been informed by an inside source at Mopar that the rod/piston assemblies are getting scarce with none being produced anymore.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

I have been informed by an inside source at Mopar that the rod/piston assemblies are getting scarce with none being produced anymore. [/b]
    Good thing you're informed! Buy enoough to last...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I have been informed by an inside source at Mopar that the rod/piston assemblies are getting scarce with none being produced anymore.
    [/b]
    Now, I'll admit I'm not 100% on top of the law, but doesn't US law state that the manufacture must have parts available for 10 years from the date of the last model year the vehicle was made? If not, we'd all better start stocking up on parts...

Plus, you're only talking about, what, 0.0050 inch material removal, resulting in a tang depth change of 0.0025 inch? I don't think that is substantial enough to worry about (especially since the tang is stamped into place).
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Best option is once major parts like this are no longer available or able to be reconditioned then the car no longer meets the IT philosophy and should be de-classified....
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Best option is once major parts like this are no longer available or able to be reconditioned then the car no longer meets the IT philosophy and should be de-classified....
    [/b]
    I think that is what my Jensen did, it De-Classified itself!!! :P

R

Everyone,

I am stocked up, no worries there. My concern comes from this kind of thing leading to what was stated here which is a car that can't run legally in IT. It makes no sense to not be able use an alternative if the stock parts are no longer available. GM and Chrysler both use this design. The Eagle Rods for the Neon are H-Beam and not a good replacement for the argument that they are not a performance enhancer. I really was just pondering it and wanted to see what y'all thought.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777