Thread: SCCA focused radio show/webcast

Most of us have said many times how much we wish we could get more media coverage for SCCA, and many of us also realize that NASA is kicking our butt in PR. Well, some local Club Racing guys are helping to change that. For the last few weeks local members Jim Wheeler (A-Sedan driver), Ron Keith (runs late model ASA in SP), and Mike Dickerson (Region Development / Street Survival volunteer) host a call-in radio show called Shifting Gears that's webcast on www.racinboys.com , which falls under the umbrella of the HUGE 810 Sports radio network here in KC.

The show is absolutely not a AS or stock car centered program, but about everything SCCA does. The live portion of the show is a regular call-in type format with interviews and feature stories, but there's also a video portion that i believe airs an hour later on the site. I talked with Jim last night, and they're doing a bit on the new changes at Heartland Park and showing some in-car from Jim's Spec Miata during a BMW lapping day.

The program is starting to gain some momentum, as they're getting callers from all over the country, and had as many as 5000 viewers/listeners last week compared to the 500 or so they started with a couple months ago. There's also some mention of SCCA National jumping on with support for next year, as the resources are basically coming from Ron Keith right now.

www.racinboys.com on the right hand side is the video portion and schedule.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

This looks very cool. It'll be interesting to hear what types of topics they discuss to keep listeners interested.

For the shows that are available on the website, is that just a portion of it (the video portion that you referred to) or can people listen to the whole show there?

Oh, just to clarify the time of the show, it is 7 pm CST. I could see myself logging in to learn that I was off by an hour.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

i'm pretty sure you can listen to the whole show there.

they're covering pretty much everything from what i can tell. they'll do an AS show one week, i know they've got Andrew Caddell of SM and Pro-MX5 fame coming up, a story about all the Prather Racing family including the women that help run the business and all that goes into a weekend for them. so yeah, all kinds of stuff it seems like.

Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I recently hooked up with two CFR members, Clark Sprinkle and Dave Junkins, that do "The Motorsports Hour" on Sunday nights here in the Orlando area. They have been doing the show for a few years now, and I did some substitute work that just evolved in something more. It's a college radio station but we have a blast! We try to highlight some of the SCCA stuff that's local, as well as all things road racing (NO Nascar or NHRA). Randy Pobst has been a guest and the locals call in from time to time. It's difficult to spend alot of time on only SCCA stuff because of the limited coverage the market is just not there, but we try to include it when we can.

It's 91.5 fm in Winter Park and streamed on wprkdj*dot*org.

:026: :026: :026: :026: :026:
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

We managed to catch the show on Wednesday night. It was an entertaining hour.

I know it's going to be available on the web the following day, but it's a little frustrating to hear them talk about the video or pictures that they're seeing, and know that we can't see them during the live broadcast. We'll get over those little details.

Kelley Huxtable
    "PLAY SAFE"
    DMVR

Mike Dickerson from the national office let me know he was going to plug the SCCA Edition of my book during their show this week and told me to give them a call if I wanted to. I kept meaning to pick the phone up, but was so nervous for some reason. I suppose it was intimidating for me since I care so much about the book project? I finally sucked it up after they started discussing the book. Man, I really need to work on those interviewing skills. Hopefully the more times I do it, the better I'll get. The whole show is worth listening to and I know I'll be tuning in again. (My interview is in the 4th segment towards the very end. Hey, I said I procrastinated calling in. LOL)

Racin Boys Broadcast

It sounds there is hopes of them getting a web cast which would be fantastic!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing