Thread: L Series Timing Marks / Front Cover

Fellows, where are your timing marks on your L motor? My 260Z has a pointer with marks over near the dizzy, on th edriver's side. However, this new Professional Products dampener (Euro-like), if placed on the motor, has its timing mark about 45 degrees away from these marks when the engine is at TDC. Over on the passenger side.

Was there another front cover for L motors that had timing marks on the passenger side? Or another bolt on timing pointer that goes on the passenger side?

If this is just how it is I'll paint the other marks on the dampener black, scribe a new one at 0/TDC, and go from there.

Thanks,
    Ron

I have the same problem, the 240 has a pointer on the passenger side on a bolt that is about half way up. It goes on with only one bolt so it has to be calibrated. I put marks for all three tdc events using the 260 timing marker and then marked and x on each side of the 1-6 tdc mark. This helps with leakdown testing.

Mike

Thanks for that reply. I'll do the same.

Do you have a trick for getting the dampeners on?

You can hardly see the key with the cover and seal in place. And, once starting the dampener up the crank you can't adjust it, so if it is wrong then you are out of luck.

Ron

PS-torque plate headed back to you, thanks much!

I've seen at least 2, maybe 3 different setups for degree pointers on factory front covers. The best opportunity to decide which is best for you is with the engine on the stand. I use a degree wheel to get an acurate TDC then mark the damper.

Tell us about the Professional Products damper.....
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Well, the damper is okay but it is a bitch to put on. I don't know what it is, but it seems to fit tightly and like I mentioned lining up the keyway isn't easy. Do you have a trick for that?

Other than that it seems well made and like a Euro damper clone. Steel, painted black, decent piece. My old euro damper was anodized so it might have been a bit nicer. It too had marks in bad places but they were not scribed out and it caused me some problems early on before I figured out what was going on.

Ron

Ron,
    Got the torque plate back last night, thanks! Hope the new engine does well for you.

Mike