Aug 24

Scattered Showers
    78°/62° 60%
    78°F

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/4423...pnav_undeclared

Weatherize Your Passenger Car for Rain
    by Gary McCoy
    Motor Matters

When it comes to driving in rain, there is nothing more important than having a good set of wiper blades. Windshield wiper blades are not meant to last forever. Most experts believe they should be changed at least twice a year or every 6,000 miles. But studies have shown that the average motorist changes his or her wiper blades just once every two or three years. As a result, many drivers are using blades that are cracked or frayed and not able to properly clear rain from the windshield.

The rubber blade portion of the wiper is replaceable -- either as a rubber refill or a complete blade assembly -- and has a limited lifespan of just a few years. Leading wiper blade manufacturers like ANCO, Bosch and Trico, sell a range of blades for different weather conditions. Use their handy replacement chart to find the right one for your passenger car. Most consumers can replace the rubber refill or put on a new wiper blade assembly themselves by carefully following the directions on the package.

Goodyear engineers invented the original Aquatred tire over 10 years ago after listening to consumers who said they wanted longer tread wear and improved traction on rain-slick roads. Goodyear is now on its third version of the tire that helped define the "rain tire" category. Aquatreds range in price from $72 to $1,100, depending on tire size. Almost all tire manufacturers have at least one tire with wide center grooves and a tread pattern designed to remove water efficiently.

Last year I participated in a tire demonstration sponsored by Bridgestone/Firestone. One test had us slamming on the brakes at nearly 55 mph in a wet traction zone. From that experience I learned that having good tires that can stop quickly on rain slick roads is essential and potentially life-saving.

When looking for rain tires, there are a couple of important things to consider: wet-traction handling and wet-braking distance. Take time to compare results among the tire manufacturers to see how they stack up. You can find additional tire care and consumer safety information by visiting the Department of Transportation (www.dot.gov) and the National Highway Trafffic Safety Administration (www.nhtsa.dot.gov).

A good rain repellant will help give you a clear view of the road ahead. It is sprayed on your windshield before driving, providing an invisible film to repel rain from your window. The most popular brand is Rain-X, but other good alternatives are Amsoil Rain Clear Windshield Protectant and Aquapel Glass Treatment from Automotive International.

Another rain accessory you might consider buying is WeatherFlectors. Made of lightly tinted cast acrylic, the product installs inside the top of the window channel using a precision-machined, micro-thin mounting flange. On rainy days you can partially open your window without getting soaked, allowing an added bit of ventilation to remove stale or smoky air. Expect to spend about $80.

I work in building full of meteorologists, and have been working with them for over a quarter of a century. You're better off reading tea leaves or examining chicken entrails to get a forecast that's ten days out.

Anything beyond 36 hours borders on fiction. 10 days ? Yeah....

Hey, a boy can dream can't he?

K

Exclamation

Remember, the race is in North East Ohio. There will be a 50% chance of rain, a 50% chance of sunshine, a 50 % chance of it being partly cloudy, a 50 % chance of rain, a 50 % chance of a thunderstorm, a 100% chance of it being dark part of the race, and a 5 % chance of snow. ( Remember, this is North East Ohio) Tempratures may be from a low of 40's at night to a high of hotter than h**l during the afternoon. And since it is at Nelson's expect wind from a pleasent evening breeze to gail force winds.

Ohio weather ............ if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes. It will change.

(Think I can get Dick Goddard's job when he retires???)

Hey, a boy can dream can't he?[/b]
    While he's dreaming about racing his car in the rain, that boy should be thinking about the three OTHER boys racing his car in the rain, the ones with no experience in racing his car in the rain...

Hey, I'm just sayin'...

While he's dreaming about racing his car in the rain, that boy should be thinking about the three OTHER boys racing his car in the rain, the ones with no experience in racing his car in the rain...

Hey, I'm just sayin'...

[/b]
    Rain is good. Especially in front drive. I'm all over it. Fred did pretty well in my car in the rain a couple of weeks ago too... maybe we have a team full of rain ringers!
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

... maybe we have a team full of rain ringers! [/b]
    Hell, this is lookin' be way too easy...!

Any Updates headed out at 6:00 am to help crew and try to stay out of way. TW

I work in building full of meteorologists, [/b]
    This explains a whole bunch of things
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.