Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whataboutlrp?

Does anybody know or care about what's happening at Limerock? Can't find anything on Mylaps. phil

Fri qual- soggy soaking cold wet rain. The rain was some of the wettest on record. Real wet rain.

Sat nice clear sunny.

S: Driscoll, Hendo, Maynard, Wright
    B; Langelius- Ritchie made a Jamaica mistake-a in the downhill and stuffed it.
    C; White
    A; Betencourt, Hunter, Klvana.

Breault- stuffed it coming out of big Bend. Limped to finish 7th. Car REAL bent. BUMMER. NHIS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

ITA
    Andy B 102.4
    Richie H 102.6
    Tim K 103.3

Richie smoked us all in the rain to qualify on the pole, with Andy in second and me in third (Richie was 3 seconds faster than the rest of the field 1:18 vs 1:21s).

Andy got a decent jump on the start going into Big Bend (I thought the flag came early and it appeared from where I was sitting Andy was pacing the field - about a 1/2 a car in front of Richie when the pace car pulled off - taking the pole duties away from Richie) . I tried to tuck in behind Andy but could not take second from Richie. It was the Andy and Richie for a while -I was a few car lengths back but loosing ground each lap. Richie spun in the short chute at about 1/2 way through the race - I got to Richie just as he was getting back on course - He tried to make a come back but Andy was checking out and I was having a bad time with lapped traffic(not their fault just caught these cars in bad spots). Judging by the sheets 1-6 finished on the lead lap but 4 and 5 were just about to go down a lap back 53 seconds for the leader.

Lots of fun - missed the boys in Ohio - hope to hear more from them soon.

Congrats to Andy B

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Rob-sorry to hear about the car (I don't even recall seeing a hurt Z3 going by or hearing anything about you on the flaggers' net... tired, I guess)
    Anyone know if Dominick has a camera? He had two moments (one of which, unfortunately, took him out), but one could have been an audition for the Joie Chitwood Stunt Show!
    He ran the Civic at about a 35 degree angle for several yards going through the Diving Turn about halfway through the ITA (Group 5) race...
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

The ITA race was better than the results showed. I was in P2 at the start and stayed pace with the Pace Car. Richie held back for some reason and I slowed for him to come up to me. We were side by side when the green flew and I got a good start. I lead into T1 and Richie and I proceeded to run nose to tail for 8-10 laps. He was faster than me through the esses and I was faster than him in the uphill. Pretty much equal everywhere else. He spun in the left hander and it was just about managing traffic after that as I ran as hard as I could to hold onto my gap.

Real sorry to hear about you Doc. Hope you are ok. You had a nice 5-car battle there.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Thank you Andy. I felt sooo bad as I saw you come up. I pointed you by three times. I tried to get off line but the car was just too much to hold onto. I knew I was holding you up and I'm real sorry for that. You were very patient with me and I was trying to be respectful to you. Glad I didn't hurt your finish.

I'm OK. Just sore. All adrenaline. Looked under the car this evening.....pasta anyone??

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Thank you Andy. I felt sooo bad as I saw you come up. I pointed you by three times. I tried to get off line but the car was just too much to hold onto. I knew I was holding you up and I'm real sorry for that. You were very patient with me and I was trying to be respectful to you. Glad I didn't hurt your finish.

I'm OK. Just sore. All adrenaline. Looked under the car this evening.....pasta anyone??

R [/b]
    Dude, I was hoping you weren't getting mad at me! Each time you pointed me by, I had no run and not enough snot to get by. I rely on that 'momentum thang' to make passes...You did a great job and everyone was safe. Your whole group knew I was there and that is all we can ask. Luckily, Richie wasn't on my bumper so I could pick the BEST spot, not the FIRST spot...
    Andy Bettencourt

Rob, you have my sympathies ...........really. I'm thinking about making lamps with bent lower control arms.

Great racing from the back. I had a blast working my way thru the pack. Lots of 2-4 car battles going on. Incredibly clean driving by everyone.

I've got a cool vid of the Joey Chitwood move in the Downhill with that Honda!!
    Christian J. Chandler
    BMW 318is
    #26 ITA
    JiM Power

The ITA race was better than the results showed. I was in P2 at the start and stayed pace with the Pace Car. Richie held back for some reason and I slowed for him to come up to me. We were side by side when the green flew and I got a good start.
    [/b]
    Andy - You know I hold your driving ability in the highest reagard and I am not trying to make to trouble but my understanding was that the "written" or "unwritten" rule, is that during the pace lap we do not advance our grid position, which admittedly you did. I believe in taking every advantage to get a good start, as I beleive it is extremely important - and you did have a great start.

Also, please enlighten us on the single Oreo cookie and milk in the impound area.

Congrats again on the LRP victory - it was a nice drive.

Robert - sorry to hear about your "off" hope you are feeling better today - hoping to see you at NHIS.

Would like to see the Dom's video - I have old video of Richie H in his old "A" car hitting the curb in the downhill and doin' the Joey - never lifting - scarey stuff.

Great race to all in ITA - nicely done. I know there were some newer racers out there - you guys did a great job - special thanks to Dan Deyo who had make special efforts and had to "give up a lot" to make room.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Andy - You know I hold your driving ability in the highest reagard and I am not trying to make to trouble but my understanding was that the "wrtten" or "unwritten" rule, is that during the pace lap we do not advance our grid position, which admittedly you did. I believe in taking every advantage to get a good start, as I beleive it is extremely important - and you did have a great start.

[/b]
    I will disagree Timmy. I held the speed of the PC and Richie faded back - all while the PC was in front of us. When I noticed this, I slowed to allow Richie to come beside me. I know you have video - I would like to see 100% that we were even when the green flag flew - which I am confident we were. The 'good' start was a result of a hair better reaction than Richie, not any advantage in 'spacing'. Your vid will be the proof however. I hope I am right, because it was certainly my intent.

BUT, this does bring up an interesting topic for education. If we are to follow the PC, and the pole sitter slows to a speed less than the PC - WHILE BEING PACED, what is P2 (and the rest of the field) supposed to do?

I think I did the correct thing in slowing to allow Richie to come beside me before the green flew...
    Andy Bettencourt

Andy it is the option of the Pole Sitter (not P2) to decide the format of the field. Since he beat your qualifying time he has the right and privledge to go at a reasonably slow pace expecially if HE decides that the field BEHIND HIM (including the P2 position which is required to be BEHIND HIM) to slow the field down to allow the field to catch up.

The proper starting grid should have all of the cars as tightly bunched as possible so ALL of the cars in the race have a fair chance at a fair start. That includes P2 all the way through P32. I have seen far too many starts where the guy in 15th place doesn't have a chance to catch the guy in 14th on the warm up lap.

From what it sounds like to me (an although I was not there) you were trying to drag Richie up to your power band and not willing to slow to HIS CHOICE OF STARTING SPEED. Remember HE BEAT YOUR ASS IN QUALIFYING AND THEREFORE IS ALLOWED TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO.

IMHOC

Andy it is the option of the Pole Sitter (not P2) to decide the format of the field. Since he beat your qualifying time he has the right and privledge to go at a reasonably slow pace expecially if HE decides that the field BEHIND HIM (including the P2 position which is required to be BEHIND HIM) to slow the field down to allow the field to catch up.

The proper starting grid should have all of the cars as tightly bunched as possible so ALL of the cars in the race have a fair chance at a fair start. That includes P2 all the way through P32. I have seen far too many starts where the guy in 15th place doesn't have a chance to catch the guy in 14th on the warm up lap.

From what it sounds like to me (an although I was not there) you were trying to drag Richie up to your power band and not willing to slow to HIS CHOICE OF STARTING SPEED. Remember HE BEAT YOUR ASS IN QUALIFYING AND THEREFORE IS ALLOWED TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO.

IMHOC

[/b]
    I agree somewhat with you in theory Tom. However, you didn't read the details carefully enough. We have been told many times this year to follow the pace car and NOT speed up when it breaks off. All I did in this case from the P2 spot is what we have been doing all year - HOLD THE EXACT SPEED OF THE PACE CAR. I did not speed up, Richie actually slowed down.

I will also challenge your assertion that the P1 car has any right to tell anyone else what to do. Find it for me in the GCR. The front row (and all cars for that matter) are to gather up and follow the PC. The purpose of the PC is to SET THE STARTING SPEED. Any mention of the P1 car dictating the starting speed is GONE.

Actually, looking at section J.1 of the GCR on page 51, it could be argued that Richie was 'falling out of position' by not keeping the pace the PC set.

So again, I held the PC speed, did not speed up and then CAME BACK to Richie's speed as I realized he wasn't holding pace. I believe Richie and I started side by side - as it was my intent - but Tim's video will prove it either way. I am very anxious to see it now! I could be wrong with what actually happened - and Tim was in the perfect spot to see - but I fully believe I slowed to take the green side by side. I hope so....Tim should be able to tell us real quick when he reviews his vid.
    Andy Bettencourt

Actually, looking at section J.1 of the GCR on page 51, it could be argued that Richie was 'falling out of position' by not keeping the pace the PC set. [/b]
    Good point, but it seems to me you did good by slowing to the polesitter's pace, because you could otherwise be bitten by the first paragraph of section J., to wit:

A car may not improve its position in the field once it comes under the Starter&#39;s orders, regardless of circumstances.</span>[/b]
    Interesting situation, really... I know what it says, but have to wonder if the intent of this recent addition (last sentence of 6.2.2.E) was to actually disallow a slightly slower starting speed than that of the pace car:

Once the pace car pulls off for the start, the pole car shall maintain the speed of the pace car just prior to the pace car pulling off.[/b]
    In any case, I think we need to be sure we understand it is the responsibility of the starter to determine a proper start; the competitors, polesitter or not, have no vote.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

It is interesting. I hope I was even with Richie. It certainly was my intent to &#39;get back&#39; to him. I also hope that the Starter would have waived the start should I have been &#39;in front&#39; of P1 before the green.
    Andy Bettencourt

Here is the video of the race to review - I posted some of the pace lap - Unfortunately it does not show Andy&#39;s position to Richie&#39;s when the green flag flew.

Not to but as soon as Andy accerlerated/advanced past Richie in the downhill -IMHO he advanced his position and drew a foul as per the GCR (I finally pulled out the GCR and took a look). Also, IMHO I do not believe it effected the outcome of the race Andy just drove it well - We all know Andy has that magic .095 DOM on his Zoom Zoom to make him wicked fast, or at least the weight issue helps :P.

I probally tend to agree with Tom more regarding the P-1 responsibilities and priviledges. If we do not advance our positions and/or hold our qualifying positions during the pace lap there is no room for discussion - ever. Andy - I think you would have to agree you accerlerated pasted Richie- Right?

So, enjoy the video. I am sure there is more interesting stuff to evaluate and critique regarding my driving ability - But this P-1, P-2 stuff is interesting going forward.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...442915713&hl=en

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

[email protected]

Not to but as soon as Andy accerlerated/advanced past Richie in the downhill -IMHO he advanced his position and drew a foul as per the GCR (I finally pulled out the GCR and took a look).

But this P-1, P-2 stuff is interesting going forward.

[/b]
    Tim,

Let&#39;s keep the discussion going. We can all learn. Under your interpretation, if I am P1, we are behind the PC, and I slow down and the P2 car gets out ahead for a second (how long is a penalty?), then the P2 car should be penalized? As long as P2 gets back in proper alignment BEFORE the track goes green, I see no way you can penalize...P1 could get people eliminated by just jockying his speed - which is not supposed to happen...right?

Andy Bettencourt

It is interesting. I hope I was even with Richie. It certainly was my intent to &#39;get back&#39; to him. I also hope that the Starter would have waived the start should I have been &#39;in front&#39; of P1 before the green.
    [/b]
    Considering where the starter is, and the distance involved (you said it was an early start) it is almost impossible for the starter to accurately judge if the P2 car is in front of the P1 car by a small amount. A car length or two, yes, but not half a car length.

My concerns as a starter are:
    1 would it be a SAFE start,
    2 would it be fair to all the drivers,
    3 would it be a SAFE start,
    4 are they any blatant cheaters, and
    5 would it be a SAFE start

On more than one occasion I have waved the green even when the pack was not well formed as I felt it would have been safer that doing a waive off (not recently, however). Safety always takes priority over fair.

In general, starts have been much, much more under control in the last two years than they were 5 or 10 years ago.
    Dave Lyons - TACT is for people not witty enough to be SARCASTIC.
    Latte is French for "You paid too much for your coffee."

OK, good. I feel the video CLEARLY vindicates me IMHO. As we exited West Bend, I was keeping pace with the PC. As we rolled down the downhill, I noticed Richie hanging back and slowed up to even it out. This all happened before we could even SEE the starters stand. We were dead even from that point on. Phew. I certainly didn&#39;t advance any positions. Right?
    Andy Bettencourt

OK, good. The video CLEARLY vindicates me IMHO. As we exited West Bend, I was keeping pace with the PC. As we rolled down the downhill, I noticed Richie hanging back and slowed up to even it out. This all happened before we could even SEE the starters stand. We were dead even from that point on. Phew.
    [/b]
    Andy - Read GCR 6.2.2, J and see if I am misunderstanding the text. Coming through West Bend I agree you are "pacing" correctly. The acceleration past Richie in the downhill would appear to be an advance - Am I misreading/understanding it?

Again - Do I really believe it effected the race? - nope - absolutely not - you the man .

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

[email protected]

Andy - Read GCR 6.2.2, J and see if I am misunderstanding the text. Coming through West Bend I agree you are "pacing" correctly. The acceleration past Richie in the downhill would appear to be an advance - Am I misreading/understanding it?

Again - Do I really believe it effected the race? - nope - absolutely not - you the man . [/b]
    No sweat Tim, it&#39;s a good debate.

I guess my issue is that &#39;improving my position&#39; is VERY grey here. Yes, I was ahead of Richie..but only because I was doing what I was supposed to be doing as a responsible member of the front row - keeping exact pace with the pace car. Once I noticed he wasn&#39;t, I switched my focus (speed) from the pace car, to Richie. I was never once going any faster than the pace car.

The pace car sets the speed of the start - according to the GCR - and at the specific direction of our stewards this year. I also reference 6.2.2.E - last sentence: "Once the pace car pulls off for the start, the pole car shall maintain the speed of the pace car just prior to the pace car pulling off."

So in my mind, this begs the question - would it have been LEGAL for me to keep pace with the pace car putting the actual &#39;questionable action&#39; on Richie - since he DIDN&#39;T keep pace as he should have?

Again, I think you could legitimately say that I &#39;improved my position prior to the green flag&#39;. But it was because the pole sitter didn&#39;t follow the proper proceedures. I was also back in perfect line before the starters could even see us. This also begs the question - if you are allowed to be &#39;out of line&#39; to scrub tires - when do you have to be BACK in line? I was in line before any starting official could see me...is that an actual fault? If I were P1 and you were P2 and I slowed and you advanced without knowing it - should you be penalized?

Debate on - It&#39;s a very interesting and rare situation to have the P1 car slow down to less MPH than the PC.

Anyone care to look at the video and weigh in? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...442915713&hl=en

I guess after looking at the video and knowing what the front row is supposed to do, I would do the same thing again...Stewards?
    Andy Bettencourt