Thread: "new" BRG R1's

So I was looking into tires for next year and have heard some very positive feedback from my tire guys on the "new" BFG R1's. Has anyone invested in them yet and what do you think. So far I have heard they are real fast...
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

So I was looking into tires for next year and have heard some very positive feedback from my tire guys on the "new" BFG R1's. Has anyone invested in them yet and what do you think. So far I have heard they are real fast...
    [/b]
    I believe that's called "marketing", and not necessarily backed up by actual performance. I race a lot...Nat'l and Reg'l...and haven't seen them at all.

Of course, I have a personal bias in that BFG were complete and total asshats the last time they had a roadrace tire. Personal experience with their trackside tire support at Nat'l and Pro races makes me a "never go back" as far as BFG/Michelin is concerned. They're lucky no one had firearms at the season-closing SCCA pro weekend at VIR in 2001....

...but that's just my opinion.

Just went out to Tire Rack to look for the BFG R-1, I see that the smallest tire is a 205-50zr-15 so that limits what cars can run them.

I'd try the Avon Tech R in a 14" tire first. If you need a 13" then it's either Hoosier or Kuhmo.

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Hankook also has 13" sizes.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

GRM just did a test of road race tires and said that the R1 was faster than the Hoosier R6.

It also said that the new Hankook is probably better than either one for a lightweight car that is easy on tires.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

eh....i wasn't too keen on that test. it was more of an autox test than a roadracing one.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

R1 might have been faster, but for my budget the toyo's and hoosiers help me most sffording the race season. On my car they last, love that.
    Chadd Landress
    ITS RX-7
    CK~Evolution Racing/Speedsource
    # 58

I guess we will need to let this play out a bit... The information I recieved was from a couple of top local teams that can afford to test these things. Their feedback was relayed to me via a local tire supplier that does not need to do any promoting.
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta

I was wondering becasue aren't they the same as the Nitto NT1's? I do know someone running those and being very fast, almost as fast as on Yokohama slicks just not for the whole race.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Yeah, I read the GRM test to. I was tempted by the BFG's for a moment..... But when I buy a set of Hoosiers from Appalachian Tire, I get great track support. With the BFG's I would get a set of tires that no one at the track knows anything about. I'll take the Hoosiers and support for the same money thank you very much.

But It will be interesting to see what the BFG's do....
    Russell McMullan
    Orlando, Fl
    ITA #62 Sentra SE-R

eh....i wasn't too keen on that test. it was more of an autox test than a roadracing one.
    [/b]
    Ditto - I saw the basic test methodology and pretty much ignored the rest of the article as not applying to me.

K

[/b]

Bingo !!!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

[/b]

agreed also, if they wanted to compare hoosiers in that test they should have used the A6

I have a set of the R1's in my garage that we will test at Roebling Road in September for a Mustang publication and race at VIR in October on my Cobra R Mustang. Ive heard good things, but have seen very few at the race track if any.

If interested I will be sure to let you know how they do.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Hey Knestis, speaking of tires, what tires will you run for the 13 hour and how many sets will you use.
    We are going to try to run it again and not hit the wall in the first 30 minutes like in 2004.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

Never run a "B" car in teh 13 hour, but for the SMs we did run Toyos were the only way to go. OUr cars typically made it on six tires -- just needed to change the left sides about 8-9 hours in.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Ron, we run Hoosier R6s and we use - at most - one pair of front tires per 3 hours, plus one set of rears for the whole race. We can probably run 4.5 hours on the fronts if we stint at 1.5 hours versus 3 hours. - GA

[/b]
    ill let you know next year ill be running them

ill let you know next year ill be running them
    [/b]
    What about next weekend slow poke
    Peter Linssen
    SPM Volvo 740 Turbo
    ITB/FP/VP1 Opel Manta