Thread: Endurance Etiquette

While driving at night, is the normal practice to use turn signals to point someone by?
    Has anyone ever run Hawk HT-10 pads at a Nelson Ledges enduro? How many hours? Car? likes/dislikes?

Jeremy Cesene
    Hillbilly Motorsports

While driving at night, is the normal practice to use turn signals to point someone by?[/b]
    Yes. Although it's not a regulation of any sort, it is common etiquette. You (and everyone around you) just needs to remember that you signal to the side you want to be passed, not the direction you're going.

No experience with the pads.

Carbotech the way to go

We use Porterfield R4-E compound. Goes atleast 12 hours on one set('83 RX7).

Roland

Any other pieces of advice for driving in the 24 other than don't blow it up in hour one & keep it on the track?

Jeremy Cesene
    Hillbilly MotorSports

We did '95 and '96 Nelson 24's, '97 and '99 Moroso 24's and a couple of 12's at the Point. Our drivers were instructed that the 3 rules were: 1) Protect the car!, 2) Protect the car!!, and 3) Protect the effing car!!! :026:
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Yes. Although it's not a regulation of any sort, it is common etiquette. You (and everyone around you) just needs to remember that you signal to the side you want to be passed, not the direction you're going.[/b]
    Oh good lord, that's frightening. Everywhere else in the world you signal the exact opposite The thought process I grew up with is that if I signal left, I'm going left. I've heard a couple of other folks mention this recently I just thought they were confused. Another one to add to the list of things to remember when on the track

I know; it can be terribly confusing, especially in "the heat of the battle".

Just remember it this way: signal to the direction you'd normally point with your hand.

...and shut the blinking thing off afterward!

I about got clobbered by a guy who blinked me by driver's right going into the last turn at Summit - then pulled for pit lane. I think he just autopiloted because it was so much like signaling for an exit on the highway.

K

Short shift, easy on the brakes, easy on the tires.Easy on the clutch. run about 90% of fast.
    Dont push the pass on the track, pass in the pits. Drive your pace.
    If you are faster than your closest comp, pit when they pit(cover), if you are slower, pit when they dont(split).
    You want to put your team into a situation that the faster car doesnt have.
    Use a calculator and valid math to figure how far you have to go on fuel, tires, and brakes. Strecth the fuel if you need to get into one less stop. The fewest stops will win most of the time .
    Keep track of the fuel burn at your races. in minutes. See how much fuel you can burn and keep running. If it wont get all of the gas, build a surge tank and test it before the race!!
    Same with the tires and brakes. Figure out how to get the tires to go at least as far as the fuel, or better , 2x the fuel.
    IMHO. MM
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

Carbotech the way to go
    [/b]

I used XP10 front and AX6 rear at the 12 hour at Summit, they did not hold up. We lost the front about 7 hours in and the rear were metal to metal after 12 hours. (85rx7)

I used XP10 front and AX6 rear at the 12 hour at Summit, they did not hold up. We lost the front about 7 hours in and the rear were metal to metal after 12 hours. (85rx7)
    [/b]

And then some how still managed to beat us!

All of the post are really good advice.

See you all at the 24!

Roland

Basically all you need to know is that if you see this coming:

Move Over!!

Do I really have to post the pictures of all of you staring at the car up on jack stands......WHILE THE REST OF THE CARS ARE RACING?

Jeremy Cesene
    Hillbilly MotorSports

Oooh. Enduro karma's gonna get you for that.

K

Edit - and technically, the only standing around staring was Kirk. Everyone else knows how to work on the car and were fixing the bustified stuff.

Yeah...I know its coming. First off, the longest enduro we have done is 3 hrs. Second, Have you read the team name?

Jeremy Cesene
    Hillbilly Motorsports

Uh, yeah - but I live in West Virginia now and have to keep my mouth shut.

K

Uh, yeah - but I live in West Virginia now and have to keep my mouth shut.

K
    [/b]

Yea, don't forget you'll need your passport to enter Ohio!

Roland

I just figured my bare behind sticking out of the window would be an indication to pass....Butt what side?

Scott
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!