Thread: Reasonable Repairs

I have light front end damage to my car, a CRX. The rails and core support have been pulled back very close to spec. (Very few shims). Fenders, hood and bumper all line up well.

First. there is damage where the bumper brackets bolts pass through the core support to the end of the frame rail. I plan to weld small (probably 1-1/2") angle brackets of 16-22 gauge steel to connect the frame rail and core support where the bolts holes are. Can I do this?

Additionally, the bumper cover was torn underneath, where it wraps underneath to the lower core support. The damaged areas can best be described as triangular tabs that are 8-10" wide and 6" long with a hole in the end to mount to the lower tie bar. Can I cut away the damaged bumper tabs and replace or reinforce the damaged tabs with light aluminum or racing-plastic?

Finally, I can not get the header panel to line up with the top of the headlights. The ends are high by 1/4 - 1/2". The header is plastic and very flexible. I can push the ends in place and hold with a finger. My thoughts are to rivet each end to the fenders with 3/4" x2" 1/16" aluminum clips, something similar to windshield or sunroof clips. Can I do this also?

The car is an IT car. I realize that I can't reinforce certain areas of the car. But, I also don't see any competetive advantage gained by these repairs.

Thanks,

Todd

The short answer here is obvious... the car must be repaired in accordance with factory shop manual repair techniques. 'Cuz that's what the ITCS says must happen.

But from a practical standpoint, shop manual repair or no, I certainly don't have a problem with the types of repairs you're describing and I doubt most other racers would, either.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I would get it on a frame machine...again if you have already done so.

Clip or fabricate from there.

the repairs you cited sound better than some of mine.

i built my car from a repairable "wreck" and bought parts cheap cause they were on damaged cars at the junkyard. my header panel on my crx was broken and i pop-riveted on tabs to fasten to the car and to reinforce a cracked section.

no advantage but not per the letter of the law. sorry if anyone is offended.

i will stop just short of telling you to do the same but i will never protest you or anyone else for this.

i typically run great lakes division events car #91 ITB (was A before). if anyone wants to see the repairs, they are welcome. i am not trying to hide anything. stop by and i'll open the hood anytime unless i am suiting up to go on track.

as long as nothing is going to fall off the car and cause an issue, i am good with what you described.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL