Anything goes for ignition as long as you use the original distributor for the timing signal. Also, anything goes on the inside of the distributor as long as you don't modify the housing. Rip out the advance mechanicals and install a direct drive to whatever timing sensor you choose. Send that to your ignition computer (heck use Motec if you want) and add sensors to anything else in the entire car. The only trick is it can only be used for the ignition system. Traction control, while easily possible, isn't legal per GCR 9.3.2 however.
[/b]

That is one way to read the rules but as I read them the distributor must be used for timing, aka it is triggering the ignition, not a timing signal.

I just don't want to have gone through all the trouble to pull the mechanical advance system, spending the time on the dyno, only to go to the first race of the season to have the car disqualified due to the systems being integrated into a single ecu. Just looking for some guidance...

Shwah: Just go dig around the net and look for tuning software and or tables. If you look at the base timing tables they are usually based on rpm vs. load and even at full load they will not be static. If I find a good example I will post one. Now, what the gains will be will be up to what you start with. Some systems may be close to being optimum for what you run now. It also may not be worth the effort to squeeze that last little bitout vs. doing a handling/ traction improvement.